Ryan Hardie

Broken Algorithms

This weekend has seen him go to top scorer in the EFL Championship but it feels like he's flying under the radar a bit. Would hope that he's in the next squad over either of Nisbet or Shankland.

Obviously he'll have developed a tonne, and the standard is far higher, but he was on loan at Raith at a 17 year old and his finishing even then stood out.

4 hours ago, GuyIncognito said:

Was at the Preston Plymouth game yesterday and he was Plymouth's best player by a mile. Took his goal really well and his all round game looked solid too. 

Definitely would be an upgrade over one of Nisbet/Shankland.

He’s a great player and his finishing is excellent with his feet, but from memory he wasn’t great with his head. Has that changed?

47 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

He’s a great player and his finishing is excellent with his feet, but from memory he wasn’t great with his head. Has that changed?

He was playing up top on his own in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 against a back 3 and he didn't win many headers. Preston were very solid at the back though and they have the best defense in the league, so the fact that he was able to score against them shows that he has quality.

2 minutes ago, GuyIncognito said:

He was playing up top on his own in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 against a back 3 and he didn't win many headers. Preston were very solid at the back though and they have the best defense in the league, so the fact that he was able to score against them shows that he has quality.

Purely out of interest, because I don't think hell get a call-up anytime soon, but how was Liam Lindsay for Preston?

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Purely out of interest, because I don't think hell get a call-up anytime soon, but how was Liam Lindsay for Preston?

Not a standout but very solid, don't think he ever lost a header and Preston had to really dig deep to get the 3 points at the end which he played a big part in.

Highlights here showing Hardie's goal too.

14 hours ago, GuyIncognito said:

Not a standout but very solid, don't think he ever lost a header and Preston had to really dig deep to get the 3 points at the end which he played a big part in.

Highlights here showing Hardie's goal too.

Watching those highlights it looked like Hardie could have had 2 or 3 in that game if he'd been given the ball, twice I seen him in space and a pass would have definitely been on if his team mates were a little bit less selfish. 

2 hours ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Have to stand by what is said about Harvey Barnes, its unfair to have Hardie in over Shankland and Nisbet 😂

He looks a level above both at this point.

I’m not entirely sure we can say Hardie looks a level above either Nisbet or Shankland after six games. 

Ultimately I hope that he is, but there isn’t much to show that yet. 

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

He's been rotten for Hearts the last couple of months, doesn't look particularly fit never mind sharp and appears to be resenting the fact he never got bog move in the summer. That said it was Celtic at home (this weekends fixture) when he came alive last season so let's see if the international break has revived him. Given the 26 man Euro's squad there is a huge opportunity for a couple of players to force their way in with consistent good form domestically. 

Shankland is relying on injuries for consideration. That might change if he gets an xmas move to a higher level and starts scoring a lot. He'd need to hit 20-30 goals for Hearts to be in the conversation and closer to 30 to be seriously considered imo.

On 18/09/2023 at 11:51, thistledo said:

Watching those highlights it looked like Hardie could have had 2 or 3 in that game if he'd been given the ball, twice I seen him in space and a pass would have definitely been on if his team mates were a little bit less selfish. 

Ryan Hardie always seemed to score against us when he was punted out on loan, and whilst he never looked a polished or elegant player he had what I would call 'strikers vision' which frequently saw him in the right place at the right time.

He seems well rated at Plymouth, and he's currently operating in the same division as Dykes and Adams.  I suggest he might be worth a look especially with Adams continuing indifferent performances.

• 3 months later...