The Mo v The Binos

17 hours ago, TheVoiceofReason said:

Like most of the games I've seen so far we've competed well against fellow part timers.  McLean was back so the defence looked pretty solid and the game looked from the beginning like one mistake or a decent set piece would settle it. 

You always feel in these types of games that a bit of class can be the difference and that seemed to be the case as Montrose's number 20 loanee - who looks a real prospect - evaded about a hundred tackles driving into the box and Hester did the rest. A bad goal to lose or a piece of individual brilliance depending on who you support 

I thought we were denied a penalty when Hilson went down in the box but apparently the ref thought he went down a bit too easily despite the stud marks on his leg. But hey ho we've had a few breaks this season so not complaining too much. 

Overall a much better performance than last week and a point would have been a fairer outcome imo. But we showed up well and just need to find a goal scoring touch again. 

Where in the world was that a much better performance? What , because it was only 1-0 instead of 3-0 ?  at least last week we made the keeper make saves, I can’t recall a decent shot on goal on Saturday , the attacking players are giving nothing just now .

15 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

Finding some goals would be good.

Thats somewhere we've definitely struggled this season.

Was good to see Pabs back and will definitely help the defence.

Weird seeing Clark on the bench when we have no left sided defensive cover.

That’s twice you’ve commented on pabs being back and making a different, cmon  mr McLean stop it.

If you were at Annan last week you’d see why Clark was on the bench, he got tore a new one there. Would’ve been a bit unfair dropping Cummins or McGregor for your Pabs to start when either have hardly put a foot wrong , 

I wasnt at Annan so I didn't see Clark's performance there.

It's exposing the thin squad. Last year we could have at least played Duffy there, a natural left back rather than Cummins,a right footed centre back.

The attacking play is concerning. We aren't making a huge number of chances and aren't takingmany of  the ones we do make.

1 hour ago, #GSC said:

That’s twice you’ve commented on pabs being back and making a different, cmon  mr McLean stop it.

I wish I was still his age and had ever been that good at football.

I did once manage to come back from appendicitis to playing footbalm again in a couple of weeks but I was only 12 at the time........

38 minutes ago, WattersIsGod said:

I wasnt at Annan so I didn't see Clark's performance there.

It's exposing the thin squad. Last year we could have at least played Duffy there, a natural left back rather than Cummins,a right footed centre back.

The attacking play is concerning. We aren't making a huge number of chances and aren't takingmany of  the ones we do make.

The squad is seriously too thin, but when you’ve only been given the same budget as last year you’re goin to struggle to get players in, middle of the park should’ve been strengthened, for me Davidson is out his depth, no dig and his passing is terrible, leitch spends most of the game chasing shadows or trying fancy flicks instead of the basics, plus he can’t last a full game. Gardyne bullied them on Saturday. 

I was disappointed the budget couldn't stretch to a couple more players too.

I had major worries about central midfield before the season too and they haven't gone away.

You are not wrong.

Leitch has been pretty awful..when not much is coming off in an attacking sense then he's just a defensive liability.

I wouldn't mind seeing him on the bench on Saturday with Banner and Davidson in the middle. 

4 hours ago, #GSC said:

when you’ve only been given the same budget as last year 

2 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

I was disappointed the budget couldn't stretch to a couple more players too. 

How do people know this?  Genuine question. 

When Darren Young has been promoted previously, he has also stuck with the same squad so, in the summer when all but Denholm stayed, I put this down to his loyalty again.

45 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

How do people know this?  Genuine question

I don't.

It's a guess.

Most managers spend to their budget and most are always still wanting more.

A couple more decent players would make a major difference. I'm all for loyalty but we can't expect to be as lucky with injuries as last season.

11 hours ago, #GSC said:

Where in the world was that a much better performance? What , because it was only 1-0 instead of 3-0 ?  at least last week we made the keeper make saves, I can’t recall a decent shot on goal on Saturday , the attacking players are giving nothing just now .

I thought we were more competitive and set up a lot better against a pretty decent Montrose team.  On another day we might have taken a point. 

The Annan game was painful to watch. Although we had a couple of short passages of play where we were on top we were generally unable to combat Annans running off the ball and the speed of their 2 wingers (4 if you include the 2 subs). Aidan Smith ran us ragged and we looked terrified every time the ball came near Goss. We could have lost a few more and remember Currie saved a pen. I also thought the manager should have brought on mcgeachie and Moore at half time as their pace and workrate might have countered some of the problems.

So in my opinion Saturday was an improvement and we were really only undone by a wee moment of skill from the young number 20.

I agree that the forwards are not delivering just now and we could be doing with a couple of fresh faces in just to change the dynamic if nothing else. Let's hope the manager gets someone in this week as he seemed to be alluding to in his interview post match. 

Hopefully a good crowd for the TV match on Saturday - back to playing on grass with the young Ultras roaring them on and the aroma of the waste treatment plant wafting in the background.

It's probably gone better than expected but we still seem short in a few areas.

6 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

How do people know this?  Genuine question. 

When Darren Young has been promoted previously, he has also stuck with the same squad so, in the summer when all but Denholm stayed, I put this down to his loyalty again.

I said it and I stand by it. It's hardly a shock when we lost our second biggest sponsor, with no new sponsors announced.

12 hours ago, #GSC said:

If you were at Annan last week you’d see why Clark was on the bench, he got tore a new one there. Would’ve been a bit unfair dropping Cummins or McGregor for your Pabs to start when either have hardly put a foot wrong , 

A tad harsh on the guy with that. When I saw the line up I was scratching my head wondering why our only left back was on the bench too, not being at Annan either. I said nothing, as for all I knew Clark might have picked up a knock. 

I do agree with you on the present lack of cover in that position though.

10 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

I said it and I stand by it. It's hardly a shock when we lost our second biggest sponsor, with no new sponsors announced.

That money was ALWAYS going to be a big dent to the budget mate. I don't know figures or what have you, but always assumed that the dividend was made up from elsewhere. 

9 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

That money was ALWAYS going to be a big dent to the budget mate. I don't know figures or what have you, but always assumed that the dividend was made up from elsewhere. 

The departing board left 450 grand in the bank mate. That I know for a fact.  Money was there to at least for a time  maintain Darren's budget as was. Here I'm going to give the present board some credit. I was concerned they might run that balance down over fast by upping Darren's budget.  They haven't done that and I'll actually commend them for their prudence.

Edited by WC Boggs
Typo