Spartans vs Dumbarton

12 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

A lack of depth in defence is one of my only major worries this season. With Young already out I've been worrying about Crighton and Durnan every time either of them look like they're hobbling a wee bit.

That said we still have options; I'd imagine Aron Lynas will drop back there if Durnan can't make it. Or we could move Matty Shiels across and Blair Malcolm to LB. Although Shiels has been one of our best players in recent weeks, and Malcolm makes us a far better team in midfield, so I'd be keen to keep him there unless it was an absolute emergency.

Ideally we'll start with the same team that played against Clyde. Failing that I hope we just drop Lynas in for Durnan and keep as much continuity as possible.

If Durnan isnt fit enough to start then I wouldn't be against a back 3 of Shiels and Lynas either side of Crighton. Puts an awful lot of pressure on Crighton to organise things, but i think that back 3 could be relatively solid. The problem would be who plays left midfield? 

5 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

If Durnan isnt fit enough to start then I wouldn't be against a back 3 of Shiels and Lynas either side of Crighton. Puts an awful lot of pressure on Crighton to organise things, but i think that back 3 could be relatively solid. The problem would be who plays left midfield? 

Our full-backs were absolutely key to the Clyde win, both were superb in attack and defence. So I'd be very reticent to not play either of them in that position. Especially on another nice big astro pitch.

As you say, left-wing-back would probably be the issue there. You could probably use Carlo there with Kalvin on the right, but the Kalvin/Carlo link-up caused chaos against Clyde.

It has been clear as day we have been short at centre back from day 1 this season - we play with 3 of them and only have 2 natural ones on the books. A couple of defensive injuries and we were always going to be struggling. It’s all well and good having guys who can cover there and on the whole they have been doing a good job but the problem starts when you start having to shuffle the team about to cover injuries which ultimately weakens you in other areas. 

Hopefully Durnan manages to pass his fitness test.

Glad to see both Crichton and Durnan starting!

The lack of central defenders is a worry but I do think our bench looks exponentially stronger this year and I’m hoping it might be the difference we need from last year to push us over the line. If we could swap carts for a central defender then that would be perfect imo.

Half-time probably came at a bad time for us there. We were starting to camp in Spartans half; Div Wilson missing a sitter and having a goal disallowed and Matty Shiels seeing a painfully slow shot deflected onto the post by Jacques Heraghty.

The disallowed goal was an odd one. A load of bodies in the penalty box collided, the ref shouts 'No no' then Div Wilson pops up to loop a header into the empty net and he blows.

12 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

We just look very frantic when we go behind. Like there's only a minute to go. 

Because there's no gameplan for when we go behind. Farrell never ever sets a team up for the opposition to begin with either, always just goes with whatever worked the week before. He's a tactical idiot.

Spartans are nae mugs and I suspected we wouldn’t win today but given we had the chance to go top that is a very disappointing result, especially considering, by all accounts, it sounded like we should’ve been ahead at half time.

Win game(s) and keep exact same team and tactics until we lose - once we lose shake the starting 11 up until we win again. Repeat. 

We are so inconsistent. You wonder how much of us winning games is down to us being good or the opposition being rotten. We have the best squad in the league (imo) but we just don't look up for it every week and, as mentioned above, when we don't score first, we far too often look hopeless. Which is a shame because in other matches we have come from behind to win matches. We just lack a plan B though and that isn't a new thing under Farrell. Not the end of the world, but not good enough and the concerns are still there.