Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

16 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I agree with this.

Fans like it because it provides more chance for them to see see their favourite players in the squad, we know that. However, the reality is that we won't use 26 players. Ben Doak was selected when the squad went up to 26. It's probable that four goalkeepers wouldn't be taken in a 23-man squad and then you still have seven centre-backs - so even Scotland are filling out positions.

Reveal hidden contents

It's clearly not necessary, I'd be interested to know which countries voted in favour of it given France and Belgium have taken only 25 players. Steve Clarke isn't in favour of it, that's also understood. 

The Ben Doak part is interesting though. I agree he wouldn't be in a 23 man squad but he is probably more likely to play than quite a few players who would have been in a 23 man squad.

Gilmour probably wouldn't have went to the last Euros in a 23 man squad but ended up starting in the 2nd game. I see a similar scenario with Doak.

Don’t entirely disagree but I would caveat it with there being much more evidence at the time of Gilmour’s quality at a first team level. Being trusted to start the odd important game for Chelsea and showing up well in most of them.

Doak hasn’t had anything like that yet so it’s really down to how he shows up in training and in the friendlies.

Gilmour was playing in a position where we had many more other options though too, while Doak is pretty much the only quick forward we have. That works in his favour.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Gilmour was playing in a position where we had many more other options though too, while Doak is pretty much the only quick forward we have. That works in his favour.

Agreed. The Northern Ireland made it patently obvious (if it wasn’t already) that we have no Plan B and seriously struggle with a well-organised defensive block.

Doak is probably the only player who would offer an alternative approach. That’s even more important without a fast/effective right back at the moment.

To some extent Forrest also offers an attacking variation. Our squad lacks pace, and if we’re to kick on to a side that regularly qualifies and can compete, we need better quality and pace in attacking areas.

Looking forward to the two friendlies, and hoping to see some small variations on what we already know to be quite effective.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Agreed. The Northern Ireland made it patently obvious (if it wasn’t already) that we have no Plan B and seriously struggle with a well-organised defensive block.

Doak is probably the only player who would offer an alternative approach. That’s even more important without a fast/effective right back at the moment.

To some extent Forrest also offers an attacking variation. Our squad lacks pace, and if we’re to kick on to a side that regularly qualifies and can compete, we need better quality and pace in attacking areas.

Looking forward to the two friendlies, and hoping to see some small variations on what we already know to be quite effective.

In fairness we did have a plan-B, but it didn't change the final score. We brought on Lewis Ferguson and went 4atb as we normally do if we're chasing the game. It's hard to break down a low block. That's why it's used. That's why we have been successful using it and it's why we might consider using it against Germany. How useful is pace against a low block if there isn't space in behind?

For Scotland, It's more about working as a team. That's why we play it around the back in the horseshoe, to try and open up spaces by drawing them away from their 18 yard line and so on. That's where the terms 'patient' and 'forcing the play' come from. Everyone loves the idea of an individual that will produce a moment of magic, but those players are regularly equally frustrating.

Edited by 2426255

10 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

In fairness we did have a plan-B, but it didn't change the final score. We brought on Lewis Ferguson and went 4atb as we normally do if we're chasing the game. It's hard to break down a low block. That's why it's used. That's why we have been successful using it and it's why we might consider using it against Germany. How useful is pace against a low block if there isn't space in behind?

For Scotland, It's more about working as a team. That's why we play it around the back in the horseshoe, to try and open up spaces by drawing them away from their 18 yard line and so on. That's where the terms 'patient' and 'forcing the play' come from. Everyone loves the idea of an individual that will produce a moment of magic, but those players are regularly equally frustrating.

Pace and trickery (normally a winger's main skillsets) is critical for any team especially when counter attacking and we've not had this for a couple of years. You can play the ball around the midfield all you want (which didn't work against teams like NI) but when you get a winger who is brave enough to run at the opposing defender and get the ball into the box then you can create a whole host of chances to score. We need that sort of player than create a bit of magic off the bench and i'm thankful Clarke has noticed that issue and brought in the likes of Forrest and Doak into this squad.

38 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Pace and trickery (normally a winger's main skillsets) is critical for any team especially when counter attacking and we've not had this for a couple of years. You can play the ball around the midfield all you want (which didn't work against teams like NI) but when you get a winger who is brave enough to run at the opposing defender and get the ball into the box then you can create a whole host of chances to score. We need that sort of player than create a bit of magic off the bench and i'm thankful Clarke has noticed that issue and brought in the likes of Forrest and Doak into this squad.

I think counter-attacking is one of our strengths and that's without buckets of pace. It didnt come into play in the Northern Ireland game for obvious reasons.

I think the result against N.Ireland taints the perception of an unspectacular, but not awful performance. 

6 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I think counter-attacking is one of our strengths and that's without buckets of pace. It didnt come into play in the Northern Ireland game for obvious reasons.

I think the result against N.Ireland taints the perception of an unspectacular, but not awful performance. 

Yeah not awful eh. It was spectacular, the world was in awe.

Don't need to rethink anything, what a performance 👏 

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Yeah not awful eh. It was spectacular, the world was in awe.

Don't need to rethink anything, what a performance 👏 

That's correct. It was similar to how we played at home to Moldova, Armenia and Cyprus. The result is what changes the perception of the performance from okay to terrible. 

Some aspects of the N.Ireland performance were really good.

Edited by 2426255

7 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

That's correct. It was similar to how we played at home to Moldova, Armenia and Cyprus. The result is what changes the perception of the performance from okay to terrible. 

Some aspects of the N.Ireland performance were really good.

Some?? Cmon it was out of this world, steve and the boys would have been buzzing 

38 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Some?? Cmon it was out of this world, steve and the boys would have been buzzing 

I wouldn't go that far, but each to their own. 👍

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Don't think we're bad at it but we could do with a injection of pace in the team as think we are a bit one dimensional when we move the ball forward. When you have a real pacey forward it changes the mentality of the opposing team, gives them something to think about more 

At least at the Euros we won't be up against teams that play with such a low block and park the bus.

All three teams will be taking the game to us so hopefully we will find them easier to break down than NI. 

I could have swore Emma Dodds (Doddsy) said the final squad would be named in the next few days. 

It got me thinking (not alway a good thing) about the timing of it. Will it be formally announced before or after the Finland game or maybe the day after. Each way probably has scope for awkwardness. 

Not 100% sure when the official deadline is, but I think it's after the game. Clarke will surely have already have had the conversation with who is/are missing out.

Being part of the send off, but being cut would be a rough one, but finalising your squad and getting an injury during the game would a faff too. I'll get the popcorn ready.

1 minute ago, 2426255 said:

I could have swore Emma Dodds (Doddsy) said the final squad would be named in the next few days. 

It got me thinking (not alway a good thing) about the timing of it. Will it be formally announced before or after the Finland game or maybe the day after. Each way probably has scope for awkwardness. 

Not 100% sure when the official deadline is, but I think it's after the game. Clarke will surely have already have had the conversation with who is/are missing out.

Being part of the send off, but being cut would be a rough one, but finalising your squad and getting an injury during the game would a faff too. I'll get the popcorn ready.

The deadline is Friday, so it will likely be announced before the Finland game.

Unless they announce it afterwards or on the Saturday morning (assuming they've submitted it properly I'm not sure why that would be an issue)

I think the conversation with the player(s) missing out will be had before. To break that to someone after the game would be harsh imo. The formal announcement could be done the day after. Thats what I'd do.