Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

I’d been reluctant to start this thread before our qualification was confirmed but now that we are officially in, let’s discuss who’s going to be in the squad for the finals.

It’s not clear yet whether UEFA will retain 26 man squads or whether that was just a COVID thing and we’ll go back to 23.

Barring any injuries I think the following players are locks:

Goalkeepers: Angus Gunn

Defenders: Andy Robertson, Kieran Tierney, Aaron Hickey, Nathan Patterson, Jack Hendry, Grant Hanley, Ryan Porteous, Scott McKenna

Midfielders: John McGinn, Scott McTominay, Billy Gilmour, Callum McGregor, Kenny McLean, Lewis Ferguson, Stuart Armstrong

Forwards: Che Adams, Lyndon Dykes, Ryan Christie 

That really only leaves a couple of outfield slots unless they do go stick with squads of 26.

The last two outfield slots comes down so either a 5th CB (Liam Cooper or John Souttar), another WB (Greg Taylor, Tony Ralston or Josh Doig), another midfielder (Ryan Jack) or a 4th forward (any of Jacob Brown, Kevin Nisbet or Lawrence Shankland)

Obviously if it’s 26 you can have one of each and bring along Ben Doak as a young wildcard pick. Don’t be surprised as well to see Elliott Anderson commit now that we’ve qualified. Not sure if there’s anyone else that could play their way into Steve’s thoughts.

For the two remaining goalkeeper slots, I think a fit Craig Gordon will be brought along as cover for Angus Gunn because I don’t think the manager will want to be one injury away from having to put Kelly or Clark into a major tournament game. If Gordon does come then I think Robby McCrorie could be the third keeper, whereas if there’s no Gordon then it’ll be both Clark and Kelly. 

10 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

Regards GK, Clarke could actually give Kelly and Clark some game time,

Especially now that we are qualified, either in one of the two remaining qualification games, or in nations league matches, 

He really should have capped at least one by now

It’s pretty telling that he didn’t play either of them in a friendly in Turkey over a 40 year old Gordon and then begged Gunn to join up when Gordon became injured. He clearly doesn’t rate them.

Assuming a 23 man squad:

Gunn, Kelly, Gordon

Hickey, Patterson, Robertson, Tierney, Porteous, Hendry, Hanley, McKenna, Souttar

McGregor, McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour, McLean, Armstrong, Ferguson

Adams, Dykes, Christie, Nisbet

Add Jack, Taylor and Doak if a 26 man squad.

Although Elliott Anderson and Harvey Barnes would/could be added if they switch allegiance in time.

Anderson had his chance, he can f**k off. 

If Doak keeps getting time at Liverpool and improves then I’d think he’d be ok to come in. 

I wonder if Gordon will be fit enough to come back in? he played one half in a game on Thursday night, so it looks like he’s hopefully ready to play again soon. 

27 minutes ago, Donathan said:

It’s pretty telling that he didn’t play either of them in a friendly in Turkey over a 40 year old Gordon and then begged Gunn to join up when Gordon became injured. He clearly doesn’t rate them.

Can throw both Austria and Poland friendlies in there too. 

Fairly sure Doak will get a call up in the next few squads

I'd like to see him in there, I think he could turn out to be a better option than shankland or nesbitt who are similar to dykes and Adams without being on the same level and therefore unlikely to get much game time. Doak offers something a bit different

Assuming all the above are fit and on the plane, I think he definitely gives a spot to Liam Cooper and/or Greg Taylor. Clarke has shown and demonstrated how much he values squad morale and loyalty and these two players have made the squads more often than not when available (yet often never played) - no way he cuts them from the tournament squad.

Ralston/Soutter/Hyam/Doig/Ramsey etc have only ever really been in squads as replacements or when others haven't really been available. They will remain in this role now and step up into tournament squad if injuries, but not ahead of Cooper and Taylor.

Up front is different because of our obvious lack of options and quality there. I haven't checked squads but I think Nisbet has been there more often than not. Dykes, Adams and Nisbet I would say were on the plane. I genuinely think there is an option for someone on great form to force their way in, even a new player. Whether that's Doak, Barnes or someone like a Tommy Conway. If someone new starts banging in the goals, I think Shankland and/or Brown should be worried of their place.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I’d been reluctant to start this thread before our qualification was confirmed but now that we are officially in, let’s discuss who’s going to be in the squad for the finals.

It’s not clear yet whether UEFA will retain 26 man squads or whether that was just a COVID thing and we’ll go back to 23.

Barring any injuries I think the following players are locks:

Goalkeepers: Angus Gunn

Defenders: Andy Robertson, Kieran Tierney, Aaron Hickey, Nathan Patterson, Jack Hendry, Grant Hanley, Ryan Porteous, Scott McKenna

Midfielders: John McGinn, Scott McTominay, Billy Gilmour, Callum McGregor, Kenny McLean, Lewis Ferguson, Stuart Armstrong

Forwards: Che Adams, Lyndon Dykes, Ryan Christie 

That really only leaves a couple of outfield slots unless they do go stick with squads of 26.

The last two outfield slots comes down so either a 5th CB (Liam Cooper or John Souttar), another WB (Greg Taylor, Tony Ralston or Josh Doig), another midfielder (Ryan Jack) or a 4th forward (any of Jacob Brown, Kevin Nisbet or Lawrence Shankland)

Obviously if it’s 26 you can have one of each and bring along Ben Doak as a young wildcard pick. Don’t be surprised as well to see Elliott Anderson commit now that we’ve qualified. Not sure if there’s anyone else that could play their way into Steve’s thoughts.

For the two remaining goalkeeper slots, I think a fit Craig Gordon will be brought along as cover for Angus Gunn because I don’t think the manager will want to be one injury away from having to put Kelly or Clark into a major tournament game. If Gordon does come then I think Robby McCrorie could be the third keeper, whereas if there’s no Gordon then it’ll be both Clark and Kelly. 

Ross Stewart, Harvey Barnes, Ben Doak all need looked at cos we’re still piss poor up front tbh

Maybe Ryan Hardie too if his form holds up

weak Link in the team is goals and forward ability 

I'd say that Doak and one of Stewart (if he can get a good run of games between now and the Euros) or Conway are currently the most likely wildcard selections. Anderson, Barnes and Hackney could also be in with a shout if they commit to Scotland. It's probably too early to make solid predictions though. This squad from the October before Euro 2020/1 had nine players who didn't end up making the tournament, albeit Jack and McLean would've been there if fit, and pretty much nobody would've had Adams, Patterson or Hendry in their Euros squad back in October 2020 - mostly because we hadn't qualified by then. 

EjFPrEWXkAALdUx.thumb.jpg.3d17b207081795add33c0322cd79894d.jpg

That said, we have a more settled group of players this time around as Clarke's been in the job for more than four years now rather than just over one, so it could well be that the Euro 2024 squad is much easier to predict in advance than the squad for the last Euros. 

3 hours ago, Willie adie said:

Especially now that we are qualified, either in one of the two remaining qualification games, or in nations league matches, 

We are trying to win the group why would he weaken the team by playing pretty average keepers that he knows all about?

It isn't as if Angus Gunn has did anything wrong or is even into double figures in caps yet

The picture below illustrates the contribution from the 33 players who have played a part in qualification in terms of squads selected, games played in, total minutes played as a percentage or called into the squad as a replacement/cover. The England game wasn't included because it wasn't part of qualifying. 

Squadcontribution.thumb.png.02e8497a89effdbf4d3851bdd1720a05.png

It's fair to say players 25 to 33 could be considered fringe players and the rest the core squad as they have always been selected even if they don't always get game time. I don't think this is necessarily a template for our Euro 2024 squad, but might help as a starting point.

Well done in particular to Angus Gunn, Ryan Porteous and Aaron Hickey for fully establishing themselves in the team this campaign. It shows that the team is not a closed shop.

Edited by 2426255

I'd say, barring any injuries, you could name 20 of the squad right now.  Clarke is very loyal to his players so most of the guys who helped get us there, will be there.

I think he'll give Craig Gordon every chance of making the squad.  It's clear he doesn't rate either Kelly or Clark (can't say I blame him, to be fair).  

Guys who make some or most squads, but don't play much like Jacob Brown, Ross Stewart, Shankland, Cooper, Souttar, Taylor etc will need to have a very good club season to push themselves into the squad.  If they keep the 26-man squads (I think they will) then this gives these lads an extra chance of getting in.

Doak?  I think Clarke might just hold him back until after the Euros to ease the pressure on him.  As Liverpool's season progresses, and if they are in a title/top 4 chase, I can see his game time being limited as the season progresses.  I'm absolutely not having Elliott Anderson or Harvey Barnes either.  Jog on lads.

4 hours ago, Willie adie said:

Yeah one of very few criticisms of Clarke would be him not playing more keepers in friendlies,albeit there are less of them now with the Nations league. It looked to have bitten us on the arse but thankfully Gunn has changed his mind and tbh Gordons injury has been a bit of a blessing in disguise for Scotland. 

Edited by gannonball

It’s not as if our qualifying situation changed much in the time between Anderson dropping out and now - we were on the brink of qualifying then. I don’t think we’ll see him in a Scotland shirt.

Doak would be good for a bit of fun, and if nothing else it’d shut up the ‘Typical bloody Scotland not giving players a chance man, he’d have 90 caps if he was Spanish’ bores, who just conveniently ignore the times we’ve thrown youngsters in recently.

I’d like to see young up and coming starlet Ryan Gauld in the squad, just to get a look at him. One for the future imo.