Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I think you've missed out Billy Gilmour who maybe fits best under 'Currently Injured but Certain Picks if fit'.

Well that's not embarrassing at all is it? 😆

I looked at it and looked at it and thought I'm missing someone and still couldn't see it! I've edited and added him. I've taken Brown off the italics list of likely squad fillers as a result though it might just as easily be Jack.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

What position does Callum Paterson play these days and where's he at? I'd honestly prefer him as a call-up for the back-up RB spot instead of Ralston.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

What position does Callum Paterson play these days and where's he at? I'd honestly prefer him as a call-up for the back-up RB spot instead of Ralston.

Patterson's done. He's playing with Sheffield Wednesday but although he's involved most weeks, he's not a regular starter now. And when I've seen him come on it's been as an attacker (mainly because Wednesday are usually chasing a game perhaps).

I'd call up Stephen O'Donnell before Callum Paterson to be honest but I wouldn't be calling up either ahead of McCrorie or Johnston.

23 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well that's not embarrassing at all is it? 😆

I looked at it and looked at it and though I'm missing someone and still couldn't see it! I've edited and added him. I've taken Brown off the italics list of likely squad fillers as a result though it might just as easily be Jack.

Don't worry about it, it's a lot of names. I only saw it as I was checking the names off my spreadsheet to see who maybe hadn't been thought of. The others were Dom Hyam and Robbie McCrorie who haven't any chance of being selected. So the rest is spot on.

If the squad goes up to 26 it becomes more unpredictable. Who would have predicted Gilmour, Patterson and Turnbull in Euro-2020? The unanswerable question is what 3 extra spaces will be used for?

• Younger players to show the pathway (Johnston, Conway).
  • Cover fitness doubts (Fraser, McCrorie, Johnston etc).
  • Players who've earned Clarke's loyalty or are good around the squad. (Jack, Brown, Taylor).
  • Mixture of the above or players that tick more than one of the above boxes.
Edited by 2426255

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Don't worry about it, it's a lot of names. I only saw it as I was checking the names off my spreadsheet to see who maybe hadn't been thought of. The others were Dom Hyam and Robbie McCrorie who haven't any chance of being selected. So the rest is spot on.

If the squad goes up to 26 it becomes more unpredictable. Who would have predicted Gilmour, Patterson and Turnbull in Euro-2020? The unanswerable question is what 3 extra spaces will be used for?

• Players who've earned Clarke's loyalty (Jack, Brown).

I considered listing McCrorie but in reality he's only got a chance of going if two of the other four are injured in the next month. He's not a consideration to be actually picked and all four keepers are currently fit so I deliberately didn't even mention him. I concede I completely forgot about Hyam but the last thing we need right now is another centre back. Even if Hanley doesn't make it Hyam's on the outside looking in for the summer I think.

I think if we'd had everyone fit and the widely accepted 23 picked (allowing for the debate about Jack / Souttar / Taylor for the 23rd shirt) then the "26" would simply have seen all three of those go and one other from Ralston, Brown, Nisbet, etc. Even Anderson or Barnes if they'd declared late.

The injuries to Ferguson and probably Patterson have opened up another couple of spots to play with. If Armstrong or Hickey don't make it either (I'm assuming Gilmour should be fine) it becomes really difficult. He's had such a settled squad for so long you have to go back a distance to find three or four more names, or he bloods youngsters. Ralston would clearly have to come in, probably with another right back be it McCrorie or Johnston. Otherwise anything is possible. Might he even take all four keepers despite saying previously he wouldn't? It saves making a decision on one of his more loyal players and given the lack of an obvious replacement it's possible. I doubt it because it would be a purely sentimental pick but.........

51 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's had such a settled squad for so long you have to go back a distance to find three or four more names, or he bloods youngsters. Ralston would clearly have to come in, probably with another right back be it McCrorie or Johnston. Otherwise anything is possible.

Clarke definitely has the capacity to make surprising selections. If you look back you'll see that showing the pathway hasn't tailed off on a year by year scale even if we haven't seen it so much in the past two camps. Clarke has talked in detail about avoiding a 'hard reset' and 'having ones for the future' (e.g. McCrorie) or 'ones for the future and for now' (e.g. Hickey, Gilmour).

Spoiler

image.png.93a6f8024be83974b6f526ba9989a30c.png

You can go back further than 2021 and see Porteous and Robbie McCrorie being included and maybe there are others. Maybe these Euro's aren't good in terms of timing, but I don't see any basis to rule it out personally just now. It's been discussed in a little more detail here.

https://forum.pieandbovril.com/topic/288796-the-next-five-years/

Edited by 2426255

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Get back in your bra ya tit

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

• Players who've earned Clarke's loyalty or are good around the squad. (Jack, Brown, Taylor).

You were the only person worrying about it since you brought it up and didn't bother to speak about anything else regarding the informative original post...

Seeing we're nearly in May and there's only a few weeks of the season left, here are the players minutes and percentage game time since the clubs started back after the March International break. Judge for yourself who needs to do what.

I've checked and double checked, but if there are any errors then please let me know!

image.png.9eb55154906986e4b9c0b6f30479011a.png

Edited by 2426255

James Forrest?

Experienced at international level and he has something not many in our squad have at the moment - form. 

8 minutes ago, Lex said:

James Forrest?

Experienced at international level and he has something not many in our squad have at the moment - form. 

A classic late bolter. Clarke gave him 7 caps early in his stint, 6 of them starts, before the injury nightmare started. Didn't play him against Russia or Belgium so maybe he doesn't see him as a guy for the tough opponents. Forrest started away against the Netherland in the pre-Euro 2020/1 friendly and came off the bench against Luxembourg. He was in the Euro squad but only got 11 minutes as a sub against Czechia - again, maybe Clarke sees him as a guy to unlock the defences of weaker teams. 

If Armstrong doesn't make it he'd have to be a strong contender, assuming he maintains fitness and form to the end of the season.

Our best XI’s in terms of actually fit players at the moment. Obviously this is taking the pessimistic view that guys like McTominay, Tierney, Hickey and the RB pair all miss out on the squad. I think it’ll be a back three against Germany and a back four in the other two games (unless KT is fit)

Gunn

Porteous-Hendry-McKenna

Ralston-Gilmour-McGregor-Robbo

Christie-Adams-McGinn

Gunn

Ralston-Hendry-McKenna-Robbo

McLean-Gilmour-McGregor

Christie-Adams-McGinn

21 minutes ago, nate said:

Archie Gilchrist (Chelsea) and Callum Wilson(Newcastle)…surely with names like those there’s a Scottish granny in there somewhere? 

The same Callum Wilson that literally scored for England at the last World Cup? 

And it’s Alfie Gilchrist, which isn’t a particularly Scottish sounding name IMO. 

Edited by JS_FFC

6 hours ago, Lex said:

James Forrest?

I can see it happening tbh, if he can skelp one in like his first on Sunday against any of our group opponents no one will be complaining 

On 24/04/2024 at 13:23, Butters Scotch said:

Get back in your bra ya tit

I'm sure the last time I was on here we were bonding over how disrespectful some posters are. 🤔