Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

Just now, Fratelli said:

It’s not as if our qualifying situation changed much in the time between Anderson dropping out and now - we were on the brink of qualifying then. I don’t think we’ll see him in a Scotland shirt.

Elliot Anderson was the only player who was called up to a Scotland squad not to be included in the '...and we're off to Germany picture'. Even the McCrorie brothers are in there. Read in to that what you like.

Give Scott Mctominay his own private jet to get there imo

Elliot Anderson can away and take a flying focus to himsel, he can sit at home next summer when he’s nowhere near the England squad. 

My main worry is injuries at the minute, Tierney seems to be made of chocolate. Him and Robbo down that left hand side work so well together, it gives us a different attacking threat. There’s a fair drop off to the next available left backs, still good players in their own right of course but not the quality of the former 2. 

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I'd say that Doak and one of Stewart (if he can get a good run of games between now and the Euros) or Conway are currently the most likely wildcard selections. Anderson, Barnes and Hackney could also be in with a shout if they commit to Scotland. It's probably too early to make solid predictions though. This squad from the October before Euro 2020/1 had nine players who didn't end up making the tournament, albeit Jack and McLean would've been there if fit, and pretty much nobody would've had Adams, Patterson or Hendry in their Euros squad back in October 2020 - mostly because we hadn't qualified by then. 

EjFPrEWXkAALdUx.thumb.jpg.3d17b207081795add33c0322cd79894d.jpg

That said, we have a more settled group of players this time around as Clarke's been in the job for more than four years now rather than just over one, so it could well be that the Euro 2024 squad is much easier to predict in advance than the squad for the last Euros. 

Totally ignoring the point of this post/thread, but looking at that image it's quite impressive how far we've stepped up in terms of what clubs our players are at...

From having Livingston, Derby County, Motherwell (×2), Hibs, Dundee United and Sheffield United (×3) all represented in the squad...

It's a huge improvement, both for the individuals and the squad. And looking at the likes of Ben Doak, it's looking even better going forwards.

Speaking of whom- get Doak on the plane.

29 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Elliot Anderson was the only player who was called up to a Scotland squad not to be included in the '...and we're off to Germany picture'. Even the McCrorie brothers are in there. Read in to that what you like.

I hadn't noticed that. Quite funny tbh

34 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Anderson never even made it to the bench did he? Pulled out after his first training session I think, might’ve not even been in the camp long enough to get the headshot taken :lol:

1 minute ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Anderson never even made it to the bench did he? Pulled out after his first training session I think, might’ve not even been in the camp long enough to get the headshot taken :lol:

The reason it stands out more is the fact that the McCrorie brothers and the likes of Ralston who barely had any involvement sort of similar to Anderson were included in the picture. On the other hand I don't think from a PR point of view it would have gone down well if Anderson had been included in the picture and the SNT media team probably aren't working in conjunction with Clarke in producing the picture.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

I'd say, barring any injuries, you could name 20 of the squad right now.  Clarke is very loyal to his players so most of the guys who helped get us there, will be there.

I think he'll give Craig Gordon every chance of making the squad.  It's clear he doesn't rate either Kelly or Clark (can't say I blame him, to be fair).  

Guys who make some or most squads, but don't play much like Jacob Brown, Ross Stewart, Shankland, Cooper, Souttar, Taylor etc will need to have a very good club season to push themselves into the squad.  If they keep the 26-man squads (I think they will) then this gives these lads an extra chance of getting in.

Doak?  I think Clarke might just hold him back until after the Euros to ease the pressure on him.  As Liverpool's season progresses, and if they are in a title/top 4 chase, I can see his game time being limited as the season progresses.  I'm absolutely not having Elliott Anderson or Harvey Barnes either.  Jog on lads.

Agree with most of this but I’m very open to Harvey Barnes joining us. Anderson’s had his chance and can do one, he’s probably already decided but he shouldn’t be welcome again further down the line should he never appear for England. 

Barnes is a player we just don’t have in our team and would bring something completely different. Especially if we were to also have Doak playing soon, we could have an entirely different shape if we needed to adapt. 

The more I look at this I think the vast majority of the squad picks itself, assuming they do go back to 23

Barring injury the following guys feel like locks

Gunn + 2

Hickey, Patterson, Robbo, KT, Hendry, Hanley, Porteous, McKenna

McGregor, McSauce, McGinn, Gilmour, Ferguson, McLean

Adams, Dykes, Christie

That’s 20/23.

Then pick three from:

Another CB (Cooper/Souttar)

Another WB (Taylor/Doig)

Another CM (Jack)

Another AM (Armstrong)

3rd CF 

Anyone else 

11 minutes ago, Donathan said:

The more I look at this I think the vast majority of the squad picks itself, assuming they do go back to 23.

That's probably why fans will be disappointed if the squad sizes are reduced. It won't make much difference for Clarke, but fans get excited by newness and it reduces the scope for that.

My current prediction of the 23:

Gunn, Gordon, Kelly

Hendry, Hanley, Porteous, McKenna, Tierney, Cooper

Robertson, Hickey, Patterson

McGregor, Gilmour, McTominay, McGinn, Ferguson, McLean, Armstrong 

Adams, Dykes, Christie, Brown

Souttar, Taylor and Jack on the outside looking in 

58 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Starting XI:

Gunn

Hickey Porteous Hendry Tierney Robertson

Gilmour

Ferguson McGregor

McGinn

McTominay

N5-NGPj-W-d.webp

I’m kinda answering your post on the other thread here but it works cos let’s people see the system your advocating

I don’t think it’s viable because it totally avoids the fact that McTominays goals have come because he’s not the striker

Imagine him with back to goal holding up play? How’s that gonna work

Ive watched Lewis Ferguson in Serie A a few times this season and much as I like him as a player reality is it’s our strongest part of the pitch

I would be open to shaking up the striker department but it’s gonna need a cracking run of form from someone, starting about now to change the four most commonly mentioned

Love to see Stewart make it but would have to be at Dykes expense - not yet likely

Adams needs to get back too it, he’s done nothing of late, Brown must fancy his place next month

The 23 man squad is very restrictive given the stick ons 

We could maybe sacrifice one of Cooper or Hanley to bring an extra forward in?

1 hour ago, MarkoP said:

I’m kinda answering your post on the other thread here but it works cos let’s people see the system your advocating

I don’t think it’s viable because it totally avoids the fact that McTominays goals have come because he’s not the striker

Imagine him with back to goal holding up play? How’s that gonna work

Ive watched Lewis Ferguson in Serie A a few times this season and much as I like him as a player reality is it’s our strongest part of the pitch

I would be open to shaking up the striker department but it’s gonna need a cracking run of form from someone, starting about now to change the four most commonly mentioned

Love to see Stewart make it but would have to be at Dykes expense - not yet likely

Adams needs to get back too it, he’s done nothing of late, Brown must fancy his place next month

The 23 man squad is very restrictive given the stick ons 

We could maybe sacrifice one of Cooper or Hanley to bring an extra forward in?

Valid concerns, as perhaps would be a loss of physicality in midfield. With us already qualified, however, the upcoming matches next month and/or other games we will play pre-tournament would be an opportune time to develop a 'plan B'.

McTominay's goal for Man United tonight was everything you would want from a number nine. Let's not forget it's not an alien position for him: he often played as a striker in his youth.

Ideally, someone will have a storming second half of the season and play themselves right into contention (I'm looking at you, Ross Stewart).

Watched McBurnie a couple of times this season against decent opposition and he's done well in the role of hold up nuisance.

Could he force his way in?

Adams and Dykes can't even get a game in the championship, whereas Brown and McBurnie are first choice in the Barclays. Be interested to see if he was in Clarke's thoughts 

3 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

Watched McBurnie a couple of times this season against decent opposition and he's done well in the role of hold up nuisance.

Could he force his way in?

Adams and Dykes can't even get a game in the championship, whereas Brown and McBurnie are first choice in the Barclays. Be interested to see if he was in Clarke's thoughts 

This is just shite. Why do folk need to lie to make a point?

20 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

This is just shite. Why do folk need to lie to make a point?

It’s not complete shite though

Dykes and Adam’s may well have something to worry about re Germany 

I’m not advocating for McBurnie but our striker department could do with an overhaul 

We don’t have room for sentimentality 

We should look at all options

32 minutes ago, MarkoP said:

I’m not advocating for McBurnie but our striker department could do with an overhaul 

I think @eez-eh was referring more to you suggesting Dykes can't get in the QPR team. He was injured yesterday and has on/off been injured throughout the start of the season.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, MarkoP said:

It is complete shite to say Dykes can’t get a game in the Championship. He was injured yesterday and before that started QPRs last 4 games after coming back from injury.

Besides that he’s been a key part of our campaign so there isn’t a hope in hell that his place is under threat for the Euros. Which is probably why anyone who’d argue otherwise feels the need to make things up.

14 hours ago, Elixir said:

Valid concerns, as perhaps would be a loss of physicality in midfield. With us already qualified, however, the upcoming matches next month and/or other games we will play pre-tournament would be an opportune time to develop a 'plan B'.

McTominay's goal for Man United tonight was everything you would want from a number nine. Let's not forget it's not an alien position for him: he often played as a striker in his youth.

Ideally, someone will have a storming second half of the season and play themselves right into contention (I'm looking at you, Ross Stewart).

McTominay said just the other week that isn't true.

People always said: ‘You played as a striker as a kid.' I never played as a striker.

“I played two games there with [former Reserves coach] Warren Joyce because we had no striker. So, whenever I score a goal, people always say: ‘He used to be a striker, that’s why.’

“I never used to be a striker! I’ve always been a midfield player, a number eight, so it is funny when you hear stuff like that.”

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/scott-mctominay-addresses-striker-talk-from-his-time-in-man-utd-academy