Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

Posted (edited)

I would have been quite happy with Hanley starting against Germany, but that changed last night. Porteous, Hendry and Tierney for me please. 

That three also gives us far more on the ball. Porteous is good at incisive passes forward, Hendry drives forward well and Tierney can do both. 

Edited by No_Problemo

48 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It was about who captains if Robertson is off the pitch. On reflection though, given what Clarke said post match about making a big thing of Hanley's 50th and Gordon's 75th caps it maybe was just to commemorate the occasion and McGinn remains 2nd choice.

Used to be that a player would captain the side on their 50th appearance anyway.  

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Used to be that a player would captain the side on their 50th appearance anyway.  

Yeah, I'm aware, but usually from the start. They could have made Hanley captain for the night if they wanted given he did start.

Maybe they felt Robbo had to be seen to lead us in the last warm up. 🤷‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah, I'm aware, but usually from the start. They could have made Hanley captain for the night if they wanted given he did start.

Maybe they felt Robbo had to be seen to lead us in the last warm up. 🤷‍♂️

Was it no more to do with Roberstson setting the captaincy record?

15 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

So in a good week for me in reading Stevie Clarke's mind weeks in advance, lets add this.

You could also add, however, that you were one of many who were convinced we'd be taking 7 centre-backs rather than roughly matching what we did for the last tournament.

It will be McTominay's and Christie's 50th caps too in their next game, and we surely won't be expecting either of those to wear the armband ahead of Robertson in Munich. The tradition is fine to an extent, and it will be part of why Hanley and Gordon got it last night, but we're not going to stick to it in every circumstance.

34 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You could also add, however, that you were one of many who were convinced we'd be taking 7 centre-backs rather than roughly matching what we did for the last tournament.

Fair enough. I wasnt particularly strong on that though. It was only because we'd reached the stage of not having an especially obvious 26th pick with doubts over Jack and Armstrong on top. I couldnt see Doak being fit enough (& was right about that) and didnt see him calling Fraser or Morgan back. If we'd had say Jacob Brown available I wouldnt have expected 7 CB's. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

We had 7 at the last euros: Cooper, Gallagher, Hanley, Hendry, McKenna, McTominay, Tierney

Edited by JS_FFC

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I compared the two squads yesterday and they align quite nicely. 

11 changes:

3 goalkeepers for 3 goalkeepers

2 right-backs for 2 right-backs

1 centre-back for 1 centre-back

2 central midfielders for 2 central midfielders

1 winger for 1 winger

2 strikers for 2 strikers

Obviously it's not exact (Porteous and Gallagher are different centre-backs, and Jack and Turnbull are extremely different midfielders) but I like the symmetry. 

Edited by accies1874

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I compared the two squads yesterday and they align quite nicely. 

11 changes:

3 goalkeepers for 3 goalkeepers

2 right-backs for 2 right-backs

1 centre-back for 1 centre-back

2 central midfielders for 2 central midfielders

1 winger for 1 winger

2 strikers for 2 strikers

Obviously it's not exact (Porteous and Gallagher are different centre-backs, and Jack and Turnbull are extremely different midfielders) but I like the symmetry. 

Nice, i was wanting to look at that.

Clarke said in a post match interview (BBC) that part of the reasoning around cutting Souttar was he prefers to balance the left and right footers out and felt he was covered well on the right side with Tierney, Cooper and McKenna left and Hendry, Porteous and Hanley (+ McTominay) right.

Souttar has had such little game time for Scotland since 21/22 as a whole and even less at RCB. From that perspective the Cooper v Souttar argument is less significant.

Edited by 2426255

Posted (edited)
On 08/06/2024 at 12:40, No_Problemo said:

I would have been quite happy with Hanley starting against Germany, but that changed last night. Porteous, Hendry and Tierney for me please. 

That three also gives us far more on the ball. Porteous is good at incisive passes forward, Hendry drives forward well and Tierney can do both. 

I get where that's coming from. He had a number of dodgy moments.

For me it depends how we approach the game. A game we control with the ball with a high defensive line probably doesn't suit him, but if it's more bunker and counter then maybe it does. 

He needed the game time and so had to play. I think we saw a lot of that over the 4 friendlies where other priorities took precedence over game strategy. Obviously a high line against a decent counter attacking team won't show Hanley at his best.

Edited by 2426255

There's 7 players on that plane who should feel pretty lucky that a dearth of talent in their position or injury has given them a golden ticket.

I really hope we aren't forced or choose to use McTominay in a defensive role.

I'd have this as our strongest team, McGregor's form for Celtic hasn't matched previous seasons and I'd opted for Adams because he's more athletic and runs more than Shankland, which will be needed. I mean you could play McTominay as a LWB and put Gilmour in midfield but it makes it pretty diminutive and powder puff, plus I'd rather McTominay was that extra 15 yards up the pitch.

Gunn

Offfttttt - Porteous - Hendry - Tierney - Robertson

McTominay - McGregor - McGinn

Christie

Adams

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

There's 7 players on that plane who should feel pretty lucky that a dearth of talent in their position or injury has given them a golden ticket.

I really hope we aren't forced or choose to use McTominay in a defensive role.

I'd have this as our strongest team, McGregor's form for Celtic hasn't matched previous seasons and I'd opted for Adams because he's more athletic and runs more than Shankland, which will be needed. I mean you could play McTominay as a LWB and put Gilmour in midfield but it makes it pretty diminutive and powder puff, plus I'd rather McTominay was that extra 15 yards up the pitch.

Gunn

Offfttttt - Porteous - Hendry - Tierney - Robertson

McTominay - McGregor - McGinn

Christie

Adams

Would be very surprised if Gilmour is not in the side against Germany. He was MoM against England in a similar fixture at the last Euro’s and has toughened up having had far more EPL game time this season. That is a very attacking 5 that will get exposed defensively. 

Edited by Hendricks

8 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Would be very surprised if Gilmour is not in the side against Germany. He was MoM against England in a similar fixture at the last Euro’s and has toughened up having had far more EPL game time this season. That is a very attacking 5 that will get exposed defensively. 

Depends on instructions and McGregor dropping deeper in an attack as cover.