2026 - Party in the U.S.A.

ArabFC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I would imagine there is now the threat that home qualifiers for USA 2026 will be played away from Hamden - just seen the news that Glasgow is a potential host for the Commonwealth games in 2026.  I recall that Hampden was out of commission for about a year or so to install the raised track.  Rep of Ireland game was at Parkhead and Georgia at Ibrox - just checked and see that they were after the Commonwealth games - whilst the stadium was reverting to football and track removed.

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

I would imagine there is now the threat that home qualifiers for USA 2026 will be played away from Hamden - just seen the news that Glasgow is a potential host for the Commonwealth games in 2026.  I recall that Hampden was out of commission for about a year or so to install the raised track.  Rep of Ireland game was at Parkhead and Georgia at Ibrox - just checked and see that they were after the Commonwealth games - whilst the stadium was reverting to football and track removed.

They’re saying that if Glasgow hosted it then it would be a scaled back games with fewer sports and only as a last resort. 

I think they’d just use existing facilities and host the athletics elsewhere or possibly not have it at all (unlikely). 

On 11/04/2024 at 21:29, Caledonian1 said:

The SFA own Hampden now and you'd expect it would take a lot of money for them to be moving games away from there.

On 11/04/2024 at 23:08, lubo_blaha said:

They’re saying that if Glasgow hosted it then it would be a scaled back games with fewer sports and only as a last resort. 

I think they’d just use existing facilities and host the athletics elsewhere or possibly not have it at all (unlikely). 

Athletics and swimming are the two core events that must be included. 

Could Scotstoun get some more temporary stands? Probably not enough for a 20,000 or more capacity and entry/exit might be an issue? 

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Athletics and swimming are the two core events that must be included. 

Could Scotstoun get some more temporary stands? Probably not enough for a 20,000 or more capacity and entry/exit might be an issue? 

Don’t think there’s space at Scotstoun at either end of the track. 

Realistically, the athletics would be held outside of Scotland like it was for the 2018 European Championships.