Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I'd expect there to be plenty in Garching itself, but as said above you're in a perfect location for the Allianz arena, 20ish minutes from the city centre at Marienplatz by direct u-bahn train but also all down that underground line (U6) there are plenty of places to eat/drink. Quite a studenty area right down the west side of the Englischer Garten - if you jump off the train at Studentstadt, Alte Heide or Munchner Freiheit you'll be within seconds of a decent boozer.

If the weather's decent a wee afternoon in the Englischer Garten with a beer and a currywurst is *very* pleasant.

Great info, cheers 

We're going to be staying in Cologne for the duration of the group stages and that's obviously a long time in one city.

We're thinking about interrail passes to travel about Germany freely on at least a few of the days Scotland aren't playing (day trip, early morning out last train back).

Anyone with any thoughts on whether that is a good/bad idea. We could hold off and book trains as we go I guess, but don't mind paying a bit more for Interrail if it's convenient.

Will also be travelling to Stuttgart as the only game we have tickets for.

6 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

We're going to be staying in Cologne for the duration of the group stages and that's obviously a long time in one city.

We're thinking about interrail passes to travel about Germany freely on at least a few of the days Scotland aren't playing (day trip, early morning out last train back).

Anyone with any thoughts on whether that is a good/bad idea. We could hold off and book trains as we go I guess, but don't mind paying a bit more for Interrail if it's convenient.

Will also be travelling to Stuttgart as the only game we have tickets for.

During the tournament the transport networks of Cologne and Dortmund/Dusseldorf are being treated as one. If you have a match ticket you travel for free within both from 6am on match day till 6pm the day after.

Outwith those times travel on both networks is pretty cheap. A 24 ticket for an individual is €5-6 and a 24 ticket for a group of up to 5 people is around  €25.

Our group are staying 4 nights in Leverkusen and are planning trips to Cologne (about 15 mins away by train) and Dusseldorf (about 20 minutes).

If you plan to travel a bit further from Cologne there is the €49 Deutschland Pass but you can only use local trains (not ICE, IC or EC) and it's a subscription service so you mustn't forget to cancel it.

Also, there is the Bahn 25 card which you get a 3 month trial of for €19.90.

This gets you 25% off all fares including ICE/IC/ EC and could pay for itself after only one journey.  This also has to be cancelled or becomes a full Bahn 25 card at €62.90.

Edited by Arch Stanton

Apologies if asked and answered already - lots of info floating around.

With regard to the free train travel in/around match days if you have a match ticket.

Q1 - We are staying in Munich and will want to get the train over to Stuttgart for the Hungary game -does the free travel include a journey of that length or is it only in/around Stuttgart as that is where the game is. 

Q2 - If it does include Munich to Stuttgart - how do you make a train booking if you have no match ticket until much nearer the time?

22 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

With regard to the free train travel in/around match days if you have a match ticket.

Q1 - We are staying in Munich and will want to get the train over to Stuttgart for the Hungary game -does the free travel include a journey of that length or is it only in/around Stuttgart as that is where the game is. 

Q2 - If it does include Munich to Stuttgart - how do you make a train booking if you have no match ticket until much nearer the time?

https://int.bahn.de/en/offers/special-offers/fan-ticket-football

It does include these journeys mate as I am all booked up to get between all our games. Use link above or download the DB train app and search euro 24 👍

1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Q1 There won't be free travel between Munich and Stuttgart as they are in different Transport Networks. You can purchase a €29.90 single between them. 

ETA...your match ticket will get you free travel within the Stuttgart Transport Network from 6am on the day of the game until 6pm the next day. 

Q2 As said you purchase tickets through the Deutsche Bahn website or app, search for Euro24 fares. You don't need to have your match ticket aka Fan Pass when booking but you will need to show it to the Inspector on the train much as you'd do here if you had a railcard.

Edited by Arch Stanton

10 minutes ago, SpiderDee said:

https://int.bahn.de/en/offers/special-offers/fan-ticket-football

It does include these journeys mate as I am all booked up to get between all our games. Use link above or download the DB train app and search euro 24 👍

I've to travel from Munich to Hamburg between games. If I'm reading that link right, the train will only cost me €30? There must be some catch!

Just now, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I've to travel from Munich to Hamburg between games. If I'm reading that link right, the train will only cost me €30? There must be some catch!

No catch, the German Government want to encourage train travel over driving or flying, hence the discounted fares.

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

No catch, the German Government want to encourage train travel over driving or flying, hence the discounted fares.

That's incredible value. I'll look forward to my crate of Paulaner and cheap trip through the length of Germany.

8 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Q1 There won't be free travel between Munich and Stuttgart as they are in different Transport Networks. You can purchase a €29.90 single between them. 

Q2 As said you purchase tickets through the Deutsche Bahn website or app, search for Eiuro24 fares. You don't need to have your match ticket aka Fan Pass when booking but you will need to show it to the Inspector on the train much as you'd do here if you had a railcard.

Thanks that's helpful - just trying to keep the cost of all this to a manageable level...

3 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

That's incredible value. I'll look forward to my crate of Paulaner and cheap trip through the length of Germany.

Ist class is only €10 more. Better seats, less crowded and nearer the buffet/bar carriage. 

4 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Thanks that's helpful - just trying to keep the cost of all this to a manageable level...

Your match ticket will get you free travel within the Stuttgart Transport Network from 6am on the day of the game until 6pm the next day. 

53 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Ist class is only €10 more. Better seats, less crowded and nearer the buffet/bar carriage. 

Yeah well worth upgrading. The route from Munich to Cologne is 4.5hrs so 1st class deffo recommended.

Hopefully there is no issues with the fan pass when that is eventually released!

1 minute ago, SpiderDee said:

Yeah well worth upgrading. The route from Munich to Cologne is 4.5hrs so 1st class deffo recommended.

Hopefully there is no issues with the fan pass when that is eventually released!

I don't have a ticket for the Switzerland game so the fare I got from Munich to Leverkusen via Cologne was just under €60 once I added on the seat reservation.  

1st class was well over double that.

This came up on my Facebook.  I noticed the bit about our game in Stuttgart.  As Germany game is on in fanzone even though Scotland v Hungary are playing in that city, it could lead to thousands of Scotland and Hungarian fans searching around for a place to watch the game.  Same could go for fans based in other cities.  

I hope they get it sorted. 

Screenshot_20240317_143015_WhatsApp.jpg

Edited by Sugar_Army

41 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

This came up on my Facebook.  I noticed the bit about our game in Stuttgart.  As Germany game is on in fanzone even though Scotland v Hungary are playing in that city, it could lead to thousands of Scotland and Hungarian fans searching around for a place to watch the game.  Same could go for fans based in other cities.  

I hope they get it sorted. 

Did you forget to attach a screenshot or something similar here? I have a ticket to this game but a bunch of my pals were aiming to go to a fanzone or similar - didn't really consider the fact these games will be on at the same time. Would be useful to find out more. Suppose if this tournament was in Scotland and it was the other way around, I wouldn't be confident as a Germany fan of finding anywhere in Glasgow to watch their match...