Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

I was getting the booking.com message-scam notifications last night, anyone that's got a booking via them don't be fooled. Notification will ask you to confirm your payment details within 24 hrs. 

https://news.sky.com/story/booking-com-customers-warned-of-well-designed-scam-putting-details-for-sale-on-dark-web-13018816

33 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Anyone know much about Bruhl? Reserved an apartment there as its near Cologne and our plans are still a bit uncertain at present. 

Yes. It's half way between Cologne and Bonn and there are regular trains and trams to both cities. Should still be possible to get there after the Swiss game for example, even if it's by tram which is much slower.

Very quiet place, there's no nightlife. Big famous palace right at the main station of Bruhl, worth a wander around on a day off. 

It's also close to Phantasialand, a massive theme park. Never been but heard it's good. 

On 08/01/2024 at 18:56, Big Fifer said:

I was getting the booking.com message-scam notifications last night, anyone that's got a booking via them don't be fooled. Notification will ask you to confirm your payment details within 24 hrs. 

https://news.sky.com/story/booking-com-customers-warned-of-well-designed-scam-putting-details-for-sale-on-dark-web-13018816

Cheers for posting that.

I received a message asking for me to confirm details or my booking would be cancelled for my booking in Dusseldorf. It was very convincing, as it was like an official message, through the Booking.com message portal. Thankfully, I didn't do anything about the warning but that was mainly due to me now planning to stay in Munich instead of Düsseldorf.

Fly into Dusseldorf Weeze on the 13th. Staying in Weeze on the 13th then a very early train to Munich on the morning of the 14th. Overnight in a hotel in Munich city centre. 

Train to Essen on the 15th, making that our base until 23rd. An hour away to cologne so will travel there morning of the game on the 19th. Tons of us staying in Essen for that game. 

Travel down to Stuttgart first thing morning of the game vs Hungary, night in hotel there then train to Zurich next morning. Fly to Heathrow from Zurich then up the road. 

Planning to work the Tues-Thursday then fly over again on the Thursday night/Friday morning if we make knock outs.

4 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Yes. It's half way between Cologne and Bonn and there are regular trains and trams to both cities. Should still be possible to get there after the Swiss game for example, even if it's by tram which is much slower.

Very quiet place, there's no nightlife. Big famous palace right at the main station of Bruhl, worth a wander around on a day off. 

It's also close to Phantasialand, a massive theme park. Never been but heard it's good. 

It's very much a back-up plan but the train connection was what made me take it.

7 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

It's very much a back-up plan but the train connection was what made me take it.

I just checked and there's a bus from the main station at half past the hour throughout the night. Takes half an hour to Bruhl on that. So you'll not be stranded. 

Got a notification this morning to inform me that a timetable change meant I'd no longer be able to make a connection in Mannheim and, as a result, I can now use my ticket on any train.

Checked with DB this meant I could use any route available for the entire journey (and not just a different connection from Mannheim to Stuttgart) and was told yes, so can now take a faster route from Haan-Gruiten that was around 2.5x the price when I booked. I'm taking that as a result. 

23 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Got a notification this morning to inform me that a timetable change meant I'd no longer be able to make a connection in Mannheim and, as a result, I can now use my ticket on any train.

Checked with DB this meant I could use any route available for the entire journey (and not just a different connection from Mannheim to Stuttgart) and was told yes, so can now take a faster route from Haan-Gruiten that was around 2.5x the price when I booked. I'm taking that as a result. 

Had similar email yesterday as well, had booked Cologne to Stuttgart on the 21st with a 6 minute change at Mannheim to Stuttgart, so just going to keep original booking as now this train is direct with no change at Mannheim.

On 10/01/2024 at 09:16, lanky_ffc said:

Anyone know much about Bruhl? Reserved an apartment there as its near Cologne and our plans are still a bit uncertain at present. 

We are staying there, looks lovely and quaint with easy transport links to Cologne, ideal base imo. A few bars and restaurants for "down days" (going for a fortnight minimum)

On 10/01/2024 at 16:53, Todd_is_God said:

Very common on advance bookings and as you say nothing but a bonus. I'd be surprised if none of ours get the same concession given how far in advance they have been booked.

On 08/01/2024 at 18:56, Big Fifer said:

On 10/01/2024 at 09:55, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Cheers for posting that.

I received a message asking for me to confirm details or my booking would be cancelled for my booking in Dusseldorf. It was very convincing, as it was like an official message, through the Booking.com message portal. Thankfully, I didn't do anything about the warning but that was mainly due to me now planning to stay in Munich instead of Düsseldorf.

Just to add to the warning, I got one through booking.com from a Glasgow hotel, thought it looked dodgy so phoned the hotel and they told me about the scam, very apologetically but it's down to booking.com's shitty security. 

Dear guest!
We will inform you that in order to verify your bank card, we are required to withdraw money from your bank account to verify your bank card. After this verification, we will refund the money to your bank card. The hospitality industry reserves the right to request card verification of certain customers (even if the booking is paid for) bank card to make sure you are not in any way associated with a fake enrollment. But one way or another, payment will be made at the hotel. 

Link - https://booking.reservedata-complate.com/p/6287764299

On booking.com it is written that the booking administrator has the right to request card verification (even if the payment has been made in full) to check it. We follow certain guidelines and authorities in the hotel industry to protect ourselves from fraud and timely protect ourselves from unwary guests who try to cheat the payment system. Thank you for your understanding.

Dear guest, you need to pass the verification within 24 hours, booking suspects that your card is invalid and you paid for the hotel in an illegal way, if you do not pass the card verification, your reservation will be canceled and the money for the reservation will not be returned to your account, please go through card check.

On 10/01/2024 at 09:53, Stellaboz said:

Phantasialand is tremendous well worth a day out in-between games if yer wanting a day "aff' it 

Some more info on the Euro 24 InterRail pass. Not available to German residents or those from outside Europe, the latter have the option of a full price Eurail pass. I'm not 100% sure but it looks like you can travel where and when you want so long has you have a minimum of one match ticket.

https://euro2024.interrail.eu/en/go

On 10/01/2024 at 12:45, Squirrelhumper said:

Fly into Dusseldorf Weeze on the 13th. Staying in Weeze on the 13th then a very early train to Munich on the morning of the 14th. Overnight in a hotel in Munich city centre. 

Train to Essen on the 15th, making that our base until 23rd. An hour away to cologne so will travel there morning of the game on the 19th. Tons of us staying in Essen for that game. 

Travel down to Stuttgart first thing morning of the game vs Hungary, night in hotel there then train to Zurich next morning. Fly to Heathrow from Zurich then up the road. 

Planning to work the Tues-Thursday then fly over again on the Thursday night/Friday morning if we make knock outs.

Will see you in Cologne mate 😉

Got our trains from Frankfurt to Cologne the morning of the 14th through the DB. First class was only €60 so why not. Will do opening game in the fanzone there and based there until the 20th.

No accommodation for the 19th so if anyone has a floor for two fellas from Killie then I'm all ears 😄

Just got these booking.com scammers again for my Berlin digs, "just transfer the full amount and we'll return it in a few minutes, honest". Tried to report it to booking. com on my phone and found it impossible, think it went back to the scammers because I got another message telling me not to worry, it's all a perfectly normal procedure.. 

18 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Just got these booking.com scammers again for my Berlin digs, "just transfer the full amount and we'll return it in a few minutes, honest". Tried to report it to booking. com on my phone and found it impossible, think it went back to the scammers because I got another message telling me not to worry, it's all a perfectly normal procedure.. 

Almost got done by this yesterday as well. Had never heard of this scam before (which it turns out is a very common one on booking.com) and tbf it is quite convincing in that they are messaging you directly from the app and from booking.com’s actual email address. They even knew our reservation numbers and everything.

Still not seeing anything on how to actually book the €29.90 tickets. The page on the DeutscheBahn site about it now has a book now link, but it just takes you to their usual homepage and there's no way to select the €29.90 tickets there.

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Still not seeing anything on how to actually book the €29.90 tickets. The page on the DeutscheBahn site about it now has a book now link, but it just takes you to their usual homepage and there's no way to select the €29.90 tickets there.

You just search for a ticket in the normal way and if there's a €29.90 ticket available it appears as one of the options, like 1st class, super saver etc.

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You just search for a ticket in the normal way and if there's a €29.90 ticket available it appears as one of the options, like 1st class, super saver etc.

Must just not be available for any of the ICE trains I'm doing for Munich or Stuttgart then, annoying but nothing to be done about it.

Edited by Dunning1874