Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

On 30/04/2024 at 17:48, Thistle_do_nicely said:

albeit its looking likely ill be on my todd for it sadly, anyone id have gone with a decade ago is all grown up and its harder to coordinate this nonsense with my admittedly limited social circle as it is) so im determined im going somewhere

Tell me about it! Being childless puts me in a different situation to half my friends, and working in music means a number of other friends are weirdos with no interest in sport, or are absent minded creatives with commitment issues! Got tired of waiting for people to confirm so just booked flights and accommodation myself after the draw was made. Will be travelling solo but meeting people there.

If I were you I'd still find a way to get to Germany. Stay just outside a host city to bring the prices down and travel in for the fanzones. They'll be full of like minded people and have a cracking atmosphere 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

I just checked the current price of our hotel. Last September paid 1800 currently 6900 for same period. Loony tunes stuff

My hotels in Munich, Cologne and Stuttgart are all sold out but my base in Berlin looks like it's gone up 5 fold. I made some mistakes booking very early but I'm glad of it now.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

My hotels in Munich, Cologne and Stuttgart are all sold out but my base in Berlin looks like it's gone up 5 fold. I made some mistakes booking very early but I'm glad of it now.

Yip £600 each for a fortnight in a nice hotel with a pool inc breakfast was great business. Whether we stay the full 2 weeks or bail after the last game we have tickets for remains to be seen. No return flights booked but they are getting cheaper as there are just so many options route wise.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

Yip £600 each for a fortnight in a nice hotel with a pool inc breakfast was great business. Whether we stay the full 2 weeks or bail after the last game we have tickets for remains to be seen. No return flights booked but they are getting cheaper as there are just so many options route wise.

I've got 3 weeks in a hotel apartment with kitchen and balcony in a cracking looking part of Berlin. Wasn't particularly cheap but there's no way I could afford it now.

You could look at Flixbus and play about with dates/times but you then have to look for accommodation.

Much cheaper, a lot but longer than the train and you still have to get into centre of town.

Screenshot_20240506_214201_Chrome.jpg

20 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

You could look at Flixbus and play about with dates/times but you then have to look for accommodation.

Much cheaper, a lot but longer than the train and you still have to get into centre of town.

Screenshot_20240506_214201_Chrome.jpg

Thanks Again

No probs.  They have a toilet on the bus and with some if they are double deckers, you can book a table.  I have used the in Bosnia, Croatia etc and in longer journeys they stopped at cafes to let you get toilet/fag/eat/stetch you legs for 10-15 mins.  But as I said, a lot longer.

We used the DB card (€19) for a return trip Stuttgart-Cologne and bought our tickets via Trainline and it was about £70 return (we got a £67 Airbnb) for the game against Switzerland.

6 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Cheap flight to Memmingen for those only going to the Switzerland or Hungary games.

Screenshot_20240508_131644_Facebook.jpg

That's the return flight back to Germany.

I'm on the flight from Memmingen at 11.50am that morning after the Germany game - getting back to Glasgow at 1pm

In case it has been missed. 

Any in a group travelling. It could be worth downloading Tricount to your phone as you can put in multiple names, how much the have shelled out and what everybody owes. 

Saves a lot of arguing, especially with the round dodgers! 🤣

17 hours ago, cdhafc1874 said:

That's the return flight back to Germany.

I'm on the flight from Memmingen at 11.50am that morning after the Germany game - getting back to Glasgow at 1pm

What’s your plans for getting to memmingem for that flight? 

2 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

What’s your plans for getting to memmingem for that flight? 

There's direct buses to Memmingen Airport from Munich Central bus station with Flixbus.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, cdhafc1874 said:

There's direct buses to Memmingen Airport from Munich Central bus station with Flixbus.

I had put in menningen on the db site by mistake and was showing 4hr train journey, sorted now 

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

Another wee reminder. 

If you are going to Germany and have evidence of your Disabilty such as blue badge or a letter of award, take a pic.  It can sometimes be used as evidence to get you (and sometimes a carer with you) free or reduced entry to lots of attractions.

So far I have emailed FIFA museum in Zurich, Mercedes and Porsche museums in Stuttgart and all have given me or my "carer" mate reduced or free discounts if I bring my blue badge. 

For those that drink, that be a small saving in beer money as well as give you stuff to do.