Motherwell v Aberdeen 01.11.23

Well listening to Barry Robson there is not much point in us turning up as they will win on Wed night before going on to Semi v Hibs. 

Actually I listened to his interview and I think he meant to say if they win and then get to a final all will be well. He keeps saying it will be alright and he is not that worried. I get the distinct impression most Dons fans disagree. 

The truth is Aberdeen have a much bigger and better squad. Despite self destruction against PAOK I thought they played very well in spells. 

We did not play well at the weekend but somehow got a point despite being 2 goals down twice. So it does show the team are together. Play like that again however and I suspect Aberdeen will not be as accommodating as County were.

My fear is our defence and wing backs coping with Miovski and Duk. Apart from the 3 subs and Spencer I did not think many played well on Sat. Worst I have seen Slattery, Spittal and Paton. 

Would like to see Butcher and Wilkinson start. I wonder if the gaffer goes back to 4 in midfield and Wilkinson up front. Lennon Miller will probably come back in. 

I don’t expect Aberdeen to play as badly as Sunday. But I also hope that we are not as bad. Really need a win but another draw would not be the worst outcome. If we can get 5 or more points from next 3 games then that would be a decent return 🤞

I'm fairly confident about this, maybe weirdly so after a 5 game winless run. I think part of it is maybe that we haven't played Aberdeen for ages- pretty sure it was Hammell's last league game and one of Robson's first- and they've went through a cycle of being very good for a long period and another one of poor form since we've last played them.

We could really be doing with 3 points too but I think we'll manage it, 2-1 with Aberdeen scoring late on.

3 hours ago, welldaft said:

Well listening to Barry Robson there is not much point in us turning up as they will win on Wed night before going on to Semi v Hibs. 

Actually I listened to his interview and I think he meant to say if they win and then get to a final all will be well. He keeps saying it will be alright and he is not that worried. I get the distinct impression most Dons fans disagree. 

The truth is Aberdeen have a much bigger and better squad. Despite self destruction against PAOK I thought they played very well in spells. 

We did not play well at the weekend but somehow got a point despite being 2 goals down twice. So it does show the team are together. Play like that again however and I suspect Aberdeen will not be as accommodating as County were.

My fear is our defence and wing backs coping with Miovski and Duk. Apart from the 3 subs and Spencer I did not think many played well on Sat. Worst I have seen Slattery, Spittal and Paton. 

Would like to see Butcher and Wilkinson start. I wonder if the gaffer goes back to 4 in midfield and Wilkinson up front. Lennon Miller will probably come back in. 

I don’t expect Aberdeen to play as badly as Sunday. But I also hope that we are not as bad. Really need a win but another draw would not be the worst outcome. If we can get 5 or more points from next 3 games then that would be a decent return 🤞

Lol.

Look at you. 
Listening to Kettlewell’s absolute nonsense & believing it. 

Robsons quote post the Killie game.

”We’ve got a tough game at Motherwell then a semi final”.

“We have to try to find ways to freshen the team & win games, & we’ll do that”

That’s his quote. 

And from THAT, Kettlewell has insinuated arrogance on Robson’s part.

What a weapon 😆

As for the match, two awful teams. 
Home win, as Aberdeen are even more awful than the home team. 

3 hours ago, well fan for life said:

I'd like to see more of Wilkinson and I hope Arsenal give us a bit more playing time out of Biereth. 

Also regardless of match fitness just chuck Butcher in to that defence. Even if he can't move, having him shout at folk to remind them how to defend would improve us no end. 

There was an Arsenal scout (or just a liar) infront of me in the ticket office on Saturday collecting his comps. Obviously Mika only got his 15 minutes but I do wonder if they'd bother sending a guy to watch him if that was a pre-agreed limit. Although I suppose if you're a Scotland-based Arsenal scout you probably aren't spoiled for choice for games to go to on a Saturday. 

He could just have been watching Bair too. 

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

That’s his quote. 

What he said on Sky Sports after the game was "we win on Wednesday and then we've got a semi-final". 

I mean, I know what Robson is trying to say and I don't believe for a second he expects Aberdeen to just turn up and get 3 points. Particularly after he's just watched them throw in a shocker at Rugby Park. 

Not for the first time, Kettlewell's comments have confused me. I can only think he's trying to deflect from our poor recent form by trying to create a siege mentality within the team. I dunno...

As for the game, feels like a big one. Three big games in a week and we really need to get some points on the board.

Edited by Desp

4 minutes ago, Desp said:

What he said on Sky Sports after the game was "we win on Wednesday and then we've got a semi-final". 

I mean, I know what Robson is trying to say and I don't believe for a second he expects Aberdeen to just turn up and get 3 points. Particularly after he's just watched them throw in a shocker at Rugby Park. 

Not for the first time, Kettlewell's comments have confused me. I can only think he's trying to deflect from our poor recent form by trying to create a siege mentality within the team. I dunno...

As for the game, feels like a big one. Three big games in a week and we really need to get some points on the board.

Three cup finals.

22 minutes ago, Desp said:

To be fair, Robson is an inarticulate buffoon.

But there’s no way he’d ever suggest Motherwell will be easy. 
He doesn’t do that.

For Kettlewell to try & create some sort of “little old Motherwell against big bad arrogant Aberdeen” is laughable & perhaps trying to deflect from the fact they’re horseshit just now.

Just less horseshit than Aberdeen.

Trust me, Kettlewell doesn’t need to employ mind games. 

2-0 the slightly less shit team 

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Lol.

Look at you. 
Listening to Kettlewell’s absolute nonsense & believing it. 

That’s his quote. 

And from THAT, Kettlewell has insinuated arrogance on Robson’s part.

What a weapon 😆

As for the match, two awful teams. 
Home win, as Aberdeen are even more awful than the home team. 

You did read the 1st sentence of my 2nd paragraph ? I assume not given your response.

Based on our last two league performances I would not argue re two awful teams comment. However with the budget / transfer fees spent and squad depth I would argue strongly that Aberdeen have less of a reason to be awful than Motherwell. FWIW we were not awful the 1st 7 league games. 

I still expect Aberdeen to dominate possession and chances and be clear favourites. Judging by his comments so does Barry Robson 😉

I was quite surprised at the Aberdeen result on Sunday and also that they were apparently poor. However I also saw with my own eyes how bad we were and how we defended on Saturday. 

I still think Aberdeen have some very good players and they will probably go on to have a decent season especially when they’re no longer distracted by Europe so will probably nick this. 

Hopefully Butcher starts and Bair and Shaw don’t. I expect Biereth will only appear from the bench later on unfortunately as he makes his way back to full fitness. 

Kettlewell took a line out of context to create something to 'pin on the dressing room wall'. It's a gimmick as old as the sun and quite why any Motherwell or Aberdeen fan would take it remotely seriously is beyond me.

Anyway...not sure what to make of this one as I've no doubt Aberdeen are much better than they've shown. Whether or not they'll turn it round by tomorrow, who knows.

We're pretty much exactly what we've shown...midtable (lower at that) but ok if the talisman is fit, struggling if not.

Can see a 1-1 that pleases neither side.