Forfar vs Stenhousemuir (04/11/2023)

The amount of shite Matty Aitken used to have to put up with from our fans was ridiculous, happy for him. 

Wish McKinnon had fucked off to Forest Green, we've now got a hugely imbalanced squad with very little creativity, and yet another manager with a safety first mentality.

It won't be this year, bit we'll be in the Highland League sooner rather than later

Edited by LoonsYouthTeam

18 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

The amount of shite Matty Aitken used to have to put up with from our fans was ridiculous, happy for him. 

Wish McKinnon had fucked off to Forest Green, we've now got a hugely imbalanced squad with very little creativity, and yet another manager with a safety first mentality.

It won't be this year, bit we'll be in the Highland League sooner rather than later

Agree with all of this. The grief Aitken got was mental, all because he wasn't a headless chicken. 

I'm not sure who we could get that, if we did punt McKinnon, could do anything with this group of players. So many of them are miles off it. I'm baffled at the praise the likes of Moore, Paterson, Robson, Ross and Skelly get. The three loans have added zero also.

Edited by Jupiter Jazz

28 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Agree with all of this. The grief Aitken got was mental, all because he wasn't a headless chicken. 

I'm not sure who we could get that, if we did punt McKinnon, could do anything with this group of players. So many of them are miles off it. I'm baffled at the praise the likes of Moore, Paterson, Robson, Ross and even Skelly get. The three loans have added zero also.

I just think there is a real lack of understanding from people who watch football at this level and particularly in this country we have a hard on for people who run about like headless chickens as though that means they are trying harder.

Matty Aitken is a lump of a boy but to say he doesn't work hard is just bizarre to me. He works tirelessly from what I've seen so far it's just he can't cover the ground that quickly. He has an intelligence to his game that is too cute for the seething hoardes to recognise.

He's a league two striker ultimately trying his best to then abuse and boo the guy says more about those people than Matty.

12 hours ago, Neilly said:

I just think there is a real lack of understanding from people who watch football at this level and particularly in this country we have a hard on for people who run about like headless chickens as though that means they are trying harder.

Was talking about this yesterday. When QP had Luke Donnelly, the abuse he got for not wasting energy running about like a fanny was ridiculous. The guy produced moments of quality but because he looked “lazy” a lot of QP fans never took to him. 

Sprinting for no reason >>>>> Ability

I've taken a couple days to collate my thoughts so here's an essay.

Forfar' Lineup 

Ray made changes and opted for a 4-4-2. I was happy Paty and Seb started as they were the only energy in the squad from Huntly and it showed as they were the best players for Forfar in the opening 10 minutes.

Andy was dropped which should've deserved a cheer (I'll come back to Mr Munro later). Mutale out wide was surprising, however we are very limited out wide as Thommo is our only natural winger - Watson might be as well but he's just nowhere near the level needed.

Talking about Thommo I was chatting to some folk, they think he might be leaving football altogether due to a new job, or training for a new job, which may partly explain why he's inexplicably not even featured on the bench for the last while, and it's not due to an injury.

Opening 10 minutes

We started the match with some urgency getting the ball wide courtesy of Nditi & Seb with Paty and Skelly alternating between going deep and staying on the last man.

We then took the lead from the corner which was cleared, but only to Nditi who then smashed it into the danger area with Morrison getting a foot on it to put it in the net. (Morrison a CB is our top Goalscorer which shows how much we struggle up top). 1-0 up and we're looking good, perhaps the Huntly game gave us confidence after all.

The rest of the match

That thought was quickly quashed as from the restart our game plan seemed to be park the bus and hope we hold on for 80 minutes. That was disastrous as Stenny were given all the time in the world and they deservedly equalised before HT. The 2nd half was just one way traffic, Matty Aitken will be disappointed he didn't bag a hat-trick.

Matty Aitken

Obviously because Forfar were at home the MOTM award wouldn't go to a Stenny player but, honestly, Matty was MOTM he was so up for the game. We never saw him have a game like that last season, I think that was because he had a point to prove.

Regarding the abuse Matty received, I think it's very similar to Andy Munro this year. I think Forfar fans always rooted for Matty to do well as the final graduate from our development squad days. He had a good games and a good season the year we finished 2nd to Kelty (funnily enough the same season was Andy Munro's best). However, he struggled afterwards (along with the majority of the squad). His most frustrating habit last season was that he'd go down too easily, so much so, that referees stopped giving fouls even if he genuinely was fouled because he had the reputation of a diver.

So, was he disappointing? Yes, did he deserve the level of abuse? Probably not, but it was clear he needed a change. The same is with Andy Munro. He's done well for us in the past but his time is up and he'd be best heading to pastures new.

1 hour ago, Bridie Vision said:

I've taken a couple days to collate my thoughts so here's an essay.

Forfar' Lineup 

Ray made changes and opted for a 4-4-2. I was happy Paty and Seb started as they were the only energy in the squad from Huntly and it showed as they were the best players for Forfar in the opening 10 minutes.

Andy was dropped which should've deserved a cheer (I'll come back to Mr Munro later). Mutale out wide was surprising, however we are very limited out wide as Thommo is our only natural winger - Watson might be as well but he's just nowhere near the level needed.

Talking about Thommo I was chatting to some folk, they think he might be leaving football altogether due to a new job, or training for a new job, which may partly explain why he's inexplicably not even featured on the bench for the last while, and it's not due to an injury.

Isn't Thomson training to be a fireman? I thought the club announced that? I would've chucked him on, match fit or not, he's the only creative player we've got. If he's available for any length of time he has to start. Hutchinson has to start for me also, he was outstanding last season, now cant get near it!?

31 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Isn't Thomson training to be a fireman? I thought the club announced that? I would've chucked him on, match fit or not, he's the only creative player we've got. If he's available for any length of time he has to start. Hutchinson has to start for me also, he was outstanding last season, now cant get near it!?

I hadn't seen that announcement but that evidently is what the folks at the match were discussing. Even if his match sharpness is low, throwing him on in the 60th minute would be helpful. He always looks to go forward and fire in crosses.

Hutchinson has become a bit of a forgotten man. A solid defender, didn't do anything wrong but when Andy returned from injury he hasn't had a look in, other than starting one match at CM on the day we literally had all the CBs on the pitch, and the odd 5 minutes late into a game (usually in central midfield).

Just watched Ray McKinnon's post match interview and unless he's a very good actor, he is raging and hurt in equal measure. Nails it with the lack of keeping and using the ball and always being second is not on, and tears into the team for showing a lack of competing. Of course, ultimately he carries the can but without sounding too much like a Ray apologist I definitely think, from that interview, he's in shock. It's up to him to get the team firing and it has to be this Saturday. Nae idea what'll happen if it's another crap day.

3 hours ago, Mo-time said:

How are ex-Montrose men Matty Allan and Mark Whateley doing ?

Both were absolutely honking on Saturday but other than that have proved reasonable if not amazing signings. Allan appeared like he wanted a red card in the first half and was very lucky not to get one. Whateley drifts in and out of games, just when you think he’s got something he then turns anonymous. We have too many players that have a bit of quality on show at times but somehow manage to hide it all too often.

The one thing I would say about this squad is that they are a team, in that when one is misfiring then they all do 🙈

3 hours ago, Dan Steele said:

Just watched Ray McKinnon's post match interview and unless he's a very good actor, he is raging and hurt in equal measure. Nails it with the lack of keeping and using the ball and always being second is not on, and tears into the team for showing a lack of competing. Of course, ultimately he carries the can but without sounding too much like a Ray apologist I definitely think, from that interview, he's in shock. It's up to him to get the team firing and it has to be this Saturday. Nae idea what'll happen if it's another crap day.

Its hard to buy what he's saying now when we've played as bad multiple times already now this season and was relatively fine with it in those post match interviews.

It just comes across as the cliche thing of when a manager realises he's on the way out soon and starts to hang the players out to dry in an attempt at keeping dignity.

Edited by ScottishLoon

Just watched the highlights and read a few reports. I was critical of Aitken at the start of the season but he's played well on Saturday. Showed some improvisation and strength to get the ball on target, worked hard and got his goals. Well played Matty, long may it continue.

Great to see O'Reilly have a good game, it'll do his confidence wonders and also, it's fantastic to have Taylor back in the squad. 

Edited by Old Fashioned Stramash

13 minutes ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Just watched the highlights and read a few reports. I was critical of Aitken at the start of the season but he's played well on Saturday. Showed some improvisation and strength to get the ball on target, worked hard and got his goals. Well played Matty, long may it continue.

Great to see O'Reilly have a good game, it'll do his confidence wonders and also, it's fantastic to have Taylor back in the squad. 

Taylor looked really good the short time he was on the park, going by players like they weren't there. I wish we had a player like him to watch. 

23 hours ago, theSilverFox said:

Both were absolutely honking on Saturday but other than that have proved reasonable if not amazing signings. Allan appeared like he wanted a red card in the first half and was very lucky not to get one. Whateley drifts in and out of games, just when you think he’s got something he then turns anonymous. We have too many players that have a bit of quality on show at times but somehow manage to hide it all too often.

The one thing I would say about this squad is that they are a team, in that when one is misfiring then they all do 🙈

Thank you, Silver.

Sorry, I realised after posting that I should have in main Forfar thread, so thanks for replying in the context of the Stennie match !

They both did plenty of good things for Montrose, but could not hold down a first team place, great that they are now playing so regularly - best of luck in the season