Pars vs Rovers Part IV - Box Office

Cardle is Magic

4 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

The most underwhelming build up to a derby…ever 🤣

Its all been said before - pricing, on TV and 6 games across the season.

I’ve a feeling it’ll be a goal fest after only being 4 goals total across the three previous games. The pars lacklustre goal return has to change at some point and we look strong in the forward area. Fancy big Jack Hamilton to be in amongst it. 

There will be a late rally for tickets on Friday, I’m going and still not bought yet and think it’ll be the same for many. Can’t see it topping 5k which may look a tad embarrassing on the TV.

With the reality of our defensive situation settling in, that might also dampen enthusiasm a wee bit. It really looks like we’ll possibly be choosing between tossing O’Reilly straight on or having Dick at CB, and seeing Hannah starting. That being said, that might be the more settled lineup than next weeks…

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

With the reality of our defensive situation settling in, that might also dampen enthusiasm a wee bit. It really looks like we’ll possibly be choosing between tossing O’Reilly straight on or having Dick at CB, and seeing Hannah starting. That being said, that might be the more settled lineup than next weeks…

Is Murray still suspended? 
I seen a few Rovers players in the gym on Sunday inc Watson…wish I’d asked him when he’s back as I’m sure I’d get a more accurate update than 2 weeks which was about 2 months ago.

1 hour ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Is Murray still suspended? 
I seen a few Rovers players in the gym on Sunday inc Watson…wish I’d asked him when he’s back as I’m sure I’d get a more accurate update than 2 weeks which was about 2 months ago.

Murray is suspended for Pars, Millen is suspended for ICT.

Watson appears out for a while yet. Masson seems nicked, the extent is unknown. McGill the same.

Going in we have Millen and Dick healthy, we’ve added O’Reilly and have Brown likely at CB again. Our only fully healthy reserve defensive player is Hannah, while Corr is only participating in full practice starting this week.

24 minutes ago, Oberon43 said:

This is only the 7th Scottish Cup meeting in 134 years. If you can’t get excited about a game that you would likely only see two or three times in your adult life then  go and watch hockey 

Except we played each other in the league four weeks ago…and will then meet again in the league fewer than six weeks after Friday’s cup tie…not to mention the two other meetings we had earlier in the season.

There is *nothing* exciting about this tie because derbies and rivalries are enhanced by the fact they don’t happen all the time.

Shite a draw as it is I’m going to buck the trend here and declare myself looking forward to this. Hopefully the Dunfermline players share the same enthusiasm levels for this that their fans seem to have.

There’s plenty at stake with progression in the cup and a potentially kinder tie in the next round for the winner (us).

I can totally understand anyone choosing not to go to this, given that it's on free telly, but I don't think the atmosphere on the night is going to reflect that. Once everyone's in the ground, there'll be a decent buzz, and I'm sure once the first goal goes in the respective support will be bouncing. 

I don't think the derbies so far would have made great viewing for the neutral, so hopefully there are a few more goals in this one. If they could all go to the away side, that'd be lovely. 

After the handbags at Starks, the reported print outs pinned to Dunfermline's dressing room wall (lol) and the online shenanigans I reckon Dunfermline will be well up for this so I do have some niggling worries ahead of this match. It's also a lottery to who we see in defence.

I do have my reservations starting Masson at centre back in this game if he's fit. I can't see Corr starting. I reckon we'll see O'Reilly starting and ideally a cool head alongside him would be good. Because we're so light at the back and/or relying on a youngster (possibly Masson) and O'Reilly who hasn't played a game this season (from what I'm led to believe) we really could do with a bit of defensive protection in midfield hence Brown and Byrne in midfield would be ideal. On the flipside Brown alongside O'Reilly might be Murray's preferred option. If McGill is fit I'd happily see McGill at left back and Dick alongside O'Reilly. Frees up Brown to go back to his natural position. The inclusion of Hamilton gives us a bit of aerial presence up top if we do have to go long. The rest of the team picks itself. 

12 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Except we played each other in the league four weeks ago…and will then meet again in the league fewer than six weeks after Friday’s cup tie…not to mention the two other meetings we had earlier in the season.

There is *nothing* exciting about this tie because derbies and rivalries are enhanced by the fact they don’t happen all the time.

Not sure I agree with that last sentence at all. It's a fine line between playing each other too often, and not playing each other at all. When we had the decade without a game during the 2000s it didn't help the Derby. 

As well as that I'd suggest that rivalries develop because you play each other a decent amount in high stake games which causes grudges etc to buildup.

On 21/11/2023 at 10:02, Rob1885 said:

Jack Hamilton targeting Chris Hamilton gives me the fear

Agreed. 

I'm not exactly bouncing off the walls but I'm looking forward to the game, a Fife Derby under the lights is always a good occasion. Neither sides being at all likely to win the Scottish Cup means nothing to me, I'm not sure either side is likely to win promotion/get relegated this year but the league games have been well contested. 

4 hours ago, Raithie said:

After the handbags at Starks, the reported print outs pinned to Dunfermline's dressing room wall (lol) and the online shenanigans I reckon Dunfermline will be well up for this so I do have some niggling worries ahead of this match. It's also a lottery to who we see in defence.

I do have my reservations starting Masson at centre back in this game if he's fit. I can't see Corr starting. I reckon we'll see O'Reilly starting and ideally a cool head alongside him would be good. Because we're so light at the back and/or relying on a youngster (possibly Masson) and O'Reilly who hasn't played a game this season (from what I'm led to believe) we really could do with a bit of defensive protection in midfield hence Brown and Byrne in midfield would be ideal. On the flipside Brown alongside O'Reilly might be Murray's preferred option. If McGill is fit I'd happily see McGill at left back and Dick alongside O'Reilly. Frees up Brown to go back to his natural position. The inclusion of Hamilton gives us a bit of aerial presence up top if we do have to go long. The rest of the team picks itself. 

As I understand it, O’Reilly is generally prefers playing to the left, so Dick and O’Reilly seems less likely/ideal. Also, if we were playing Millen/O’Reilly and Dick in the middle/Hannah or McGill, that’s a boatload of worry on Dick. I would expect Millen/Brown/O’Reilly/Dick, with Dick being a bit restrained for the first part of the match until things settle out, as the first attempt.

If there’s any concern about Masson for next week at RB when Millen is suspended, I’d think it’s likely for us to withhold him for this match…if Masson’s injury is such he can’t play, then I’d expect us to be very cagey with McGill (and his possible injury) so he’ll hopefully be available for RB then.

As an aside, I’m wondering if we might see Byrne at CB at some point. It’s far from ideal, but the difference between that and DM isn’t immense, and he certainly has the necessary skills, excepting his modest aerial prowess. Looking at his playing history, he’s been exclusively midfield, but it’s not particularly unusual for DM’s to slide deeper to CB as they age.

Very disappointed, but not surprised, that the club aren't all over this from a marketing sense trying everything possible to get more tickets sold. You'd be lucky if 2-2500 have gone so far but we're not exactly pulling out all the stops to encourage folk along.

6 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Not sure I agree with that last sentence at all. It's a fine line between playing each other too often, and not playing each other at all. When we had the decade without a game during the 2000s it didn't help the Derby. 

As well as that I'd suggest that rivalries develop because you play each other a decent amount in high stake games which causes grudges etc to buildup.

I didn’t say I’d prefer we didn’t play for a decade though, or anything remotely like that.

Two league games a season - one at home and one away - would be perfect.

As for your last point; this is a local derby. It’s gonna have a bit more spice than most games whether it’s “high stakes” or not.

8 hours ago, Raithie said:

Well, that's not happening.

46 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I didn’t say I’d prefer we didn’t play for a decade though, or anything remotely like that.

Two league games a season - one at home and one away - would be perfect.

As for your last point; this is a local derby. It’s gonna have a bit more spice than most games whether it’s “high stakes” or not.

You said that derbies and rivalries are enhanced by the fact they don’t happen all the time, I pointed out when the Fife Derby wasn't happening as a regular occurance it wasn't a good thing. I was totally unaware of how big a game it was until my late teens, and it took a couple of seasons for them to really build up for me tbh. 

Aye, a derby through geographical proximity, but you'd also said rivalries which are usually seperate from derbies. 

On 20/11/2023 at 16:55, Stellaboz said:

Right now I have 0% excitement for this. Literally nothing.

Same. When we played in the cup in January 2019, I was right up for it. This time I’m feeling knackered and nobody from my group of friends seems that bothered about it.

TV it is, unless someone from my small circle of Rovers supporting pals can gee me up.

Edited by Scary Bear

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

You said that derbies and rivalries are enhanced by the fact they don’t happen all the time, I pointed out when the Fife Derby wasn't happening as a regular occurance it wasn't a good thing. I was totally unaware of how big a game it was until my late teens, and it took a couple of seasons for them to really build up for me tbh. 

Aye, a derby through geographical proximity, but you'd also said rivalries which are usually seperate from derbies. 

Yes but “not all the time” does not equal “does not happen for a decade”.