St Mirren v Livi 25/11/23

36 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Not in Baccus' position.

He doesn't have the speed across the ground that Baccus has and lacks the necessary aggression to win the ball back IMO.

No argument regarding comments regarding Gogic, but Bolton can surely fill in for one game.

I think CBM would be better in a 3 man central midfield. He doesnt have the pace required in a 2, but on the other hand he is the best passer of a ball we have and best set piece taker, so that compensates.

3 hours ago, Hendo said:

I think CBM would be better in a 3 man central midfield. He doesnt have the pace required in a 2, but on the other hand he is the best passer of a ball we have and best set piece taker, so that compensates.

I agree. However, he needs to get on the ball more and make more passes. He needs to impose himself more on the game.

I'll be absolutely delighted if I'm on here eating humble pie on Saturday evening, but I just feel our midfield loses its spark when we don't have a grafter in there.

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

I agree. However, he needs to get on the ball more and make more passes. He needs to impose himself more on the game.

I'll be absolutely delighted if I'm on here eating humble pie on Saturday evening, but I just feel our midfield loses its spark when we don't have a grafter in there.

There was a period of time (around when Baccus looked on his way out) that some fans were deluding themselves into thinking that he didn't make it into our starting 11.

Whenever he goes it's important we get a similar player to replace him. The chances of bringing in someone as good are slim but if anyone can find an adequate replacement it's Robinson.

Baccus has done his bit to raise the profile of the club. We are now a far more attractive proposition for a lot of players than we were 3 or 4 years back.

Still waiting on Livi to get their proverbial arses into gear.Defencivly weve got to get ourselves sorted out,not to mention our forwards taking any chances we get if any.Saints having a wee blimp at the moment but will be confident of victory, especially at home against an out of sorts Livi.Still tight all around the league.Hopefully we start to turn things around sooner than later,albeit would probably take a point on Saturday at such a tough place to go to.🤞.

My concern is that Saints have had many players away on international duty.
Some key players are injured and suspended for this game.

We don’t have a large squad so it’s going to be a tough game against a well drilled Martindale team who I don’t think have had the same number of players away from club training. 

I’d bite your hand off from a scrappy 1-0 win for Saints. 

7 hours ago, houston_bud said:

but if anyone can find an adequate replacement it's Robinson.

This is the guy that Robbo uses:

Martin Foyle - head of recruitment.

IMG_5227.thumb.jpeg.071d622271cb5ddf9eca5d6ba4418a9b.jpeg

I believe this is an old photo of him in his playing days for a decent Southampton team early 80s.

IMG_5229.thumb.jpeg.c298885adfb4c584a6465eee6ca562fc.jpeg

Once a Saint always a Saint! 😂 

36 minutes ago, Troy.1995 said:

Still waiting on Livi to get their proverbial arses into gear.Defencivly weve got to get ourselves sorted out,not to mention our forwards taking any chances we get if any.Saints having a wee blimp at the moment but will be confident of victory, especially at home against an out of sorts Livi.Still tight all around the league.Hopefully we start to turn things around sooner than later,albeit would probably take a point on Saturday at such a tough place to go to.🤞.

Think most of us have been around long enough now to realise never, ever write Livingston off. 

They are like a good version of Hamilton and I mean that as a total compliment in that whilst Accies were unflushable, they were mostly utterly pish. Livingston by comparison are the easy go-to for calls of 'this is their one season too many' and never don't only trouble the bottom end of the table, but always are in the running for top six.

I've still no doubt when all is said and done, Livi will be somewhere between 6th and 9th and not at all fussed about what's going on beneath them.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I've still no doubt when all is said and done, Livi will be somewhere between 6th and 9th and not at all fussed about what's going on beneath them.

I hope you're right but something feels different about this season. We've come up with a system that was specifically to deal with losing Nouble so he doesn't really fit, but he plays every week anyway even though he's off form and in a role that doesn't suit him. On top of that, we seem to be heavily reliant on both Devlin and Obileye being fit - Devlin is very well known for being injured and Obileye is probably more important to us and has spent most of this calendar year being injured. Our replacements are Michael Nottingham and Tom Parkes - both always injured. Cursed (or signing folk in their 30s isn't the best strategy)

I'd imagine our best hope is still being within reach when January comes, and bringing Boyes back from his loan at ICT and/or bringing in a good defender on loan (unless there's a gem of a free agent), as well as finding a way to score some goals. St Johnstone and Ross County were the biggest hope of us staying up but they've made sensible looking appointments and both have much more money available to them than we do.

Forgotten the feeling of celebrating a goal, it has been that long, that moment of elation, then the pause of a VAR check before celebrating again, like a ruined orgasm, choked off at the point of no return.................................. I think i'm still talking about football.

Stolen from the BBC 

• St Mirren remain unbeaten in 11 league meetings with Livingston (W5 D6) since a 1-2 defeat in February 2020.

• Since winning their first ever top-flight visit to St Mirren 2-0 in August 2018, Livingston have failed to win their last eight Scottish Premiership trips to Paisley (D4 L4).

• St Mirren have lost three of their last five league games (W1 D1), more than their previous 11 beforehand (W4 D5 L2).

• Livingston have lost each of their last five league games; not since a run of 13 from December 2005 to April 2006 have they lost more in a row in the top-flight.

• Only Celtic (18) and Rangers (12) have scored more home goals than St Mirren this season (11), with the Buddies averaging 1.8 home goals per game this term.

2 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Probably going to pop to Broxburn's Scottish Cup game tomorrow, but on the off chance we wake up and choose torture instead; where's the best place to get parked (don't mind a decent walk)?

Clark Street or bottom end of Murray Street (after the railway bridge) both 5 min walk.

14 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Not quite sure what formation we’re playing. 3 forwards, 3 CBs, a left back but no right back and a bunch of midfielders 

I make it a 4-3-3 with Nottingham at RB. Pretty similar to last season against St Mirren and Motherwell away where we got gubbed both games after Martindale set up trying to be more physical up front and it massively backfired. 

16 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Not quite sure what formation we’re playing. 3 forwards, 3 CBs, a left back but no right back and a bunch of midfielders 

My best guess is

George

Nottingham  -  Devlin  -  Kelly  -  Penrice

Holt  -  Pittman  -  Shinnie

Guthrie  -  Anderson  -  Nouble

Shelling long balls up to the wide areas and hope for Pittman/Anderson to get in good areas.

Just now, GNU_Linux said:

Shout out to that one supremely angry St. Mirren fan heard anytime the side are at home.

There's two of them going off right now, "AW COME ON REF HOW LONG" at every kick off. Shout of the day being, after a foul "come on ref you don't need to speak to him he knows it was a foul" :D