Stabbings in Dublin

ICTChris

8 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

It was just you said you did not want to raise your kids here

Oh well that’s for a variety of reasons but I don’t think safety is one. Much greater sense of community here (probably thanks in part to the GAA which is a phenomenal organisation), more of a focus on youth sports and recreation, marginally better health service, MUCH better state schools. 

19 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

It was just you said you did not want to raise your kids here

Also, I would clarify - I don’t think Scotland is a bad place to raise kids. I’m just unfavourably comparing it to Ireland. I was brought up in Scotland and I’m no too bad. Apart from spending too much time on football forums

14 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

Also, I would clarify - I don’t think Scotland is a bad place to raise kids. I’m just unfavourably comparing it to Ireland. I was brought up in Scotland and I’m no too bad. Apart from spending too much time on football forums

Interesting ! Cheers !

You support the right team though !

12 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Interesting ! Cheers !

You support the right team though !

I’ve only ever met one Irishman who supports Hibs and it was only because he loves SOL. The rest are Man U, Liverpool or Celtic (but less and less Celtic every year)

Edited by The Other Foot

1 hour ago, The Other Foot said:

Oh well that’s for a variety of reasons but I don’t think safety is one. Much greater sense of community here (probably thanks in part to the GAA which is a phenomenal organisation), more of a focus on youth sports and recreation, marginally better health service, MUCH better state schools. 

I thought the health care was shit unless you have private insurance and you have pay a private company to empty your bins.

48 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I thought the health care was shit unless you have private insurance and you have pay a private company to empty your bins.

The public healthcare is shit. Still marginally better than the NHS. And it’s free for 40% of the population. And for the rest, it’s very cheap. And most good employers have insurance plans. 

As for the bins, mine cost around a tenner a month. Much cheaper than council tax. And yet, the road quality is much better than Edinburgh’s and the parks and public playgrounds are in better nick.

Do you know what’s shite here? Public transport. But they are hopefully going to use this year’s €9.6 billion budget surplus to pay for some major infrastructure initiatives. 

58 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Also (and I know the issue of public/private healthcare is a contentious one). But since people are forced to pay €60 every time they visit the GP, it drastically cuts down on waiting times for the GP. I could phone mine now and get an appointment before the end of the day. Whereas my mum in Edinburgh sometime needs to wait more than a week. Which is fucking insane. 

9 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

A reactionary mob rioting doesn’t say “prosperous desirable country” to me. 

Immigration 

And then the inevitable response from mainly knuckle scrapers 

Edited by Binos

The Irish should express their valid concerns at the ballot box.. NOT by rioting, burning, injuring policemen and looting.

It was wrong when BLM did it and it's wrong when those in Dublin did it.

But you have to remember it's still a tiny minority.  Most normal Irish people despise this behaviour.

5 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

The public healthcare is shit. Still marginally better than the NHS. And it’s free for 40% of the population. And for the rest, it’s very cheap. And most good employers have insurance plans. 

As for the bins, mine cost around a tenner a month. Much cheaper than council tax. And yet, the road quality is much better than Edinburgh’s and the parks and public playgrounds are in better nick.

Do you know what’s shite here? Public transport. But they are hopefully going to use this year’s €9.6 billion budget surplus to pay for some major infrastructure initiatives. 

Imagine having a budget surplus 

Our local council is proposing reducing the school week to save money 

Just now, MazzyStar said:

Are you suggesting that there isn’t immigration to Scotland? 

Not as much as in England and the rate at which has been occurring in Ireland recently 

I think we like to imagine us Scots are different but if mass migration occurred here, the knuckle scrapers would be out on the streets too

1 minute ago, Binos said:

Not as much as in England and the rate at which has been occurring in Ireland recently 

I think we like to imagine us Scots are different but if mass migration occurred here, the knuckle scrapers would be out on the streets too

I don’t know what the rate of immigration to Ireland is but I’d be surprised if it’s very different to Scotland. I also don’t think there would be rioting like there is in Ireland. 

8 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

I don’t know what the rate of immigration to Ireland is but I’d be surprised if it’s very different to Scotland. I also don’t think there would be rioting like there is in Ireland. 

I think around 14% of the Irish population is foreign-born. Don’t know the Scottish figure 

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2023/11/29/id-like-to-see-them-shot-in-the-head-councillors-hard-line-on-dublin-riots/

Party colleague and Cathaoirleach of LCCC’s Metropolitan District, Cllr Azad Talukder, called for more severe forms of public punishment to deal with the riot’s perpetrators. “I strongly believe that this is not the face of Ireland. This is just some criminals looting the shops. I don’t think they follow any ideological purpose. They come to the streets and just rob. They should get punishment. Not even an animal does these kind of thing. It is very shameful and they should get public punishment. I’d like to see them shot in the head or bring the public in and beat them until they die,” Cllr Talukder told council members.

alex-ferguson-manchester-united.gif.384b817633b6c05ee4f667d2ae7b26d3.gif