Dumbarton -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 9 December 2023)

1 hour ago, Sawkye said:

With the rain today and forecast for next two days we could have an pitch inspection on Friday. God l hate the weather. Anyone know yet how tickets for Scottish Cup will be allocated. 

We can only have a pitch inspection if someone other than the groundsman arranges one.  We had dire failures to do that last season and then had the cheek to hide behind match refs having no option but to postpone games close to kick-off.  It's not rocket science.

1 hour ago, Frank Quitely said:

We can only have a pitch inspection if someone other than the groundsman arranges one.  We had dire failures to do that last season and then had the cheek to hide behind match refs having no option but to postpone games close to kick-off.  It's not rocket science.

The Groundsman has an assistant now, this enables The Groundsman to just wander up & down the Main Stand side track for 90 mins pointing at things, whilst holding a coffee/pie on match days while his assistant works on the pitch & everything else.

I noticed this during the past couple of home games.

With Thistle playing tonight this tasty looking match would ordinarily be my game of choice tomorrow. The weather forecast coupled with previous issues with late postponments means I'll likely look elsewhere for a football fix tomorrow. Don't fancy getting off the train at Dumbarton East to see the game postponed. 

Castlegreen St was already starting to flood in places at 6pm last night and was much the same early this morning. There are teams of guys currently trying to pump the water away from underneath the railway bridge and what looks like a crew of grafters along at Gruggies Burn, which was a bawhair away from bursting its banks when I passed it at 8am.

Lets hope we’ve got the groundsman’s assistant on standby.

52 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

The weather has been much more cooperative today (compared to yesterday). Really hope this goes ahead as we are taking in the matchday hospitality for an early birthday day out for @son hawk 

Aye the rain has definitely been a lot less severe than was forecast, fingers crossed it stays that way.

6 hours ago, John MacLean said:

With Thistle playing tonight this tasty looking match would ordinarily be my game of choice tomorrow. The weather forecast coupled with previous issues with late postponments means I'll likely look elsewhere for a football fix tomorrow. Don't fancy getting off the train at Dumbarton East to see the game postponed. 

It'll all be fine, get yourself along.

download.jpeg.jpg.396604f24a0341903fde2c346c8297fa.jpg

Duncan Williams the referee tomorrow. Wonder if he'll be in the mood he was in at Ochilview and booking players every time they touch the ball after his whistle. Or the mood he was in a fortnight later when he let Stefan McCluskey boot the ball out the ground three times before he earned a booking.

Either way, I hope Faz has drilled it into our players to avoid any daft bookings for anything like that.

20 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

Supposed to be heavy rain between now and kick off supposedly, how does it look in G82?

It's dreich and raining but it's far from torrential.  I drove earlier this morning and there was no surface water at the usual problem areas.  Apparently the pitch was vert-drained recently but I suppose we don't know how hard the turf is following the recent frosts.

The recent weather has been typical for this time of year, and whilst there has been a fair bit of rain, if the grass pitch can't cope then we're surely approaching the game being a bogey for much winter football down there.

2 minutes ago, Sawkye said:

Don't worry, lm confident they will let us know by 2.30pm if game going ahead. 

Ooh an early call off then?

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It's dreich and raining but it's far from torrential.  I drove earlier this morning and there was no surface water at the usual problem areas.  Apparently the pitch was vert-drained recently but I suppose we don't know how hard the turf is following the recent frosts.

The recent weather has been typical for this time of year, and whilst there has been a fair bit of rain, if the grass pitch can't cope then we're surely approaching the game being a bogey for much winter football down there.

That's one I can mark off my pitch management bingo card then, I'll be honest it's something thats been mentioned on here loads before and I have no idea what idea what it actually means outside of draining the pitch, presumably vertically