TV Coverage Thread

The Master

I never normally watch those extra England things, but gave it a shot.  It was interesting.  Shearer seemed on the verge of a rant, with Lineker coming across as frustrated.  Fabregas and Rooney were able to offer some more modern insight and Rooney made a nice reference to being coached to set traps for people playing the ball out.  I have never heard this before.  I agree a similar slot for Scotland would be welcome.  I will leave it to you to suggest potential pundits.  Sportscene seems to divide opinion and the English league has a lot of recent ex-players with tournament experience to recruit, both native and imported.  No one can have a go at Cesc for his opinion on England because he has played down here.

Edited by Red Kite

Not sure where else to post this but my flight back to the UK is on the day of the Hungary game and I'm wondering if anyone knows if British Airways will show the game in flight at all? I've tried looking online and I can't seem to find any information on it. Is there anyway I can watch the game through WiFi? 

19 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Not sure where else to post this but my flight back to the UK is on the day of the Hungary game and I'm wondering if anyone knows if British Airways will show the game in flight at all? I've tried looking online and I can't seem to find any information on it. Is there anyway I can watch the game through WiFi? 

If a Euro/short-distance flight unlikely to have inflight entertainment system. If a longer haul or middle-distance, I haven't seen BA including Live TV in their set-up. Emirates for example have live sports TV option and then its a gamble as to which live sporting event they show. 

In-flight WIFI more likely but again depends on whether short or long haul. All long haul have now BA wi-fi option but have found its fine for scrolling but not streaming. Short-haul, their Airbus fleet have it but not all the fleet fully kitted out yet. 

In short, and assuming you are coming back from Germany (?), I would say its more likely that you will have access to on-board wifi that can at least let you access live score feeds. Hope you are lucky enough to get a slightly better solution than that but guess better than nothing!

26 minutes ago, Pocketman said:

If a Euro/short-distance flight unlikely to have inflight entertainment system. If a longer haul or middle-distance, I haven't seen BA including Live TV in their set-up. Emirates for example have live sports TV option and then its a gamble as to which live sporting event they show. 

In-flight WIFI more likely but again depends on whether short or long haul. All long haul have now BA wi-fi option but have found its fine for scrolling but not streaming. Short-haul, their Airbus fleet have it but not all the fleet fully kitted out yet. 

In short, and assuming you are coming back from Germany (?), I would say its more likely that you will have access to on-board wifi that can at least let you access live score feeds. Hope you are lucky enough to get a slightly better solution than that but guess better than nothing!

Yeah flying back from Germany mate so only short haul. Been playing around with my VPN, a bit hit and miss accessing bbc Iplayer with it, had to switch uk servers a few times on different days so hoping this will get me the live game so I can watch it in flight until I get to London. 

5 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Yeah flying back from Germany mate so only short haul. Been playing around with my VPN, a bit hit and miss accessing bbc Iplayer with it, had to switch uk servers a few times on different days so hoping this will get me the live game so I can watch it in flight until I get to London. 

if they have onboard wifi, then will just come down to strength of signal and ability to stream. VPN takes up a bit more of your bandwidth. Good luck!

If you can't quite justify talking about England in the opening moments of the build up to the final Scotland group game, then let's go for the next best thing - ask everyone to comment on the number of minutes Scottish players currently get in the Greatest League in the World (c). 

Neil McCann is by far the worst co-commentator I've heard at the tournament.  It's like he has no ball knowledge at all, scary he has managed teams.  

2 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Only saving grace from last night was being able to watch BBC's English transmission and thus avoid the screaming man-child Liam McLeod .

With about 10 minutes left he came out with 'it's time to stick or twist' as if a draw would benefit either side 😅

Liam McLeod seems like a strange fellow, and I can't for the life of me place his accent.  Perthshire? Aberdeen? Fuck knows.

I think Anthony Ralston, despite that unfortunate misplaced pass (and which Scotland player didn't misplace multiple passes?) and the online pasting he got, has more reason to feel OK about his performance than most of the team. If he was flakey at times, I blame Liam McLeod for his persistent reference to Rawlston. The one thing McCann got right was his pronunciation of the name.

To save us the embarrassment of being patronised by and then sniggered at by the BBC's huge contingent of house former Engerlund internationals, I hope BBC Scotland break down the door of the BBC's head of sport and demand that next time Scotland qualify for a finals*, they offer both studio and commentary coverage, you know, like every other nation gets to do.

* Yeah, I know, they probably have plenty of time.

11 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Liam McLeod seems like a strange fellow, and I can't for the life of me place his accent.  Perthshire? Aberdeen? f**k knows.

He supports Aberdeen, apparently, and I can’t think why anyone would do that without being from the city or shire. 

But he seems to just have a “Scottish accent”. The sort of accent that doesn’t really have a location because it’s been too fine-tuned for broadcasting over the years. 

2 minutes ago, The Master said:

He supports Aberdeen, apparently, and I can’t think why anyone would do that without being from the city or shire. 

But he seems to just have a “Scottish accent”. The sort of accent that doesn’t really have a location because it’s been too fine-tuned for broadcasting over the years. 

Aye very generic isn’t it. It definitely sounds like he used to have a regional one.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

He's from Aberdeen; went to school in Dyce.