TV Coverage Thread

The Master

We should find out later today who's showing what games (BBC/STV).

If it's anything like last time, BBC Scotland won't be doing their own coverage and instead we get a more Scottish-y version of the network. STV might opt-out to provide their own coverage, but Rory Hamilton mysteriously popped up on ITV's FA Cup coverage this weekend so perhaps ITV are considering the same approach as the BBC.

The idea that if the BBC show the opening game it might come with a heavy Scottish bias is already causing consternation amongst England supporters on places like Digital Spy. Ostensibly, the fact it's the opening game is more important than it being a Scotland game in their eyes.

Edited by The Master

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

One added bonus of going to Germany is not having to hear "and now we go over to the England camp" every half time.

I'm guessing based on the fact he was on their UK wide coverage for the draw McFadden will be the BBC's Scottish pundit.

17th June: "...and after that first half performance by France, the semi-final is looking even more mouth-watering. Harry, has the gaffer given anything away about how he intends to nullify Mbappe?"

Always found it a bit annoying that BBC Sport don't use any of the Sport Scotland staff for their network production - other than Sutherland doing the interviews it was all freelancers that came in - McLean on comms was a brutal choice - especially when you have Lamont and McLeod in-house, who are far better.

The women's game the other night was quite interesting (production wise - not the shambles on the pitch) and I suspect Barbour will be on Scotland's games for the Beeb, which while she's a good presenter, I imagine might rub the PQ staff up the wrong way. Although weirdly they were promoting Sportscene and SWPL Highlights - which I haven't seen from a network production recently.

With STV/ITV - I really hope they combine their coverage - but make sure it's fully Scottish - like have the STV team come in and use the ITV resources - rather than have the likes of Pougatch or Jaswal on Scotland's games. Rory Hamilton is a no-brainer for them surely.

Suppose the likes of Stewart will have free choice.

Something you never think about until you get closer to the tournament and then it starts to hang over you more and more as you remember the increasingly jingoistic coverage that comes from BBC and ITV. It is almost like the poppy debate - anything balanced or nuanced by a pundit is invariably met online with a barrage of "why do you hate this country?" type responses. And this seems to influence coverage. 

Hopefully be at some of the games or watching in Germany/other countries or if here, then in pub. But will be no getting away from it entirely - unless Scotland games get their own studio team which I doubt. sigh. 

Edited by KingRocketman II

5 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

Always found it a bit annoying that BBC Sport don't use any of the Sport Scotland staff for their network production - other than Sutherland doing the interviews it was all freelancers that came in - McLean on comms was a brutal choice - especially when you have Lamont and McLeod in-house, who are far better.

The women's game the other night was quite interesting (production wise - not the shambles on the pitch) and I suspect Barbour will be on Scotland's games for the Beeb, which while she's a good presenter, I imagine might rub the PQ staff up the wrong way. Although weirdly they were promoting Sportscene and SWPL Highlights - which I haven't seen from a network production recently.

With STV/ITV - I really hope they combine their coverage - but make sure it's fully Scottish - like have the STV team come in and use the ITV resources - rather than have the likes of Pougatch or Jaswal on Scotland's games. Rory Hamilton is a no-brainer for them surely.

Naw....I like 'to see ourselves as others see us' . And Scottish commentators are generally rubbish. Certainly 'little boy shouter' Liam McLeod should be given the summer off.

8 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

McLean on comms was a brutal choice.

Brutal is the right word. 😂

2 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Certainly 'little boy shouter' Liam McLeod should be given the summer off.

McLeod is alright, little boy shouter encapsulates why I've not really taken to his commentary.

I'd personally prefer to swerve the likes of Graeme Souness for the studio team although he will no doubt be involved. One thing I'd like to see is a neutral observers take on Scotland, preferably a manager. Someone maybe like Jurgen Klinsmann would give an informed, objective and analytical contribution on our team. You're probably less likely to get that if it's the STV team and instead end up with Pat Nevin - if he isn't dj-ing. :lol:

Edited by 2426255

ITV/STV have the Germany game. BBC have Switzerland and Hungary.

Full groups stage picks:

Spoiler

Date

Match

Kick Off (BST)

Broadcaster

14-Jun

Germany v Scotland

8pm

ITV

15-Jun

Hungary v Switzerland

2pm

ITV

15-Jun

Spain v Croatia

5pm

ITV

15-Jun

Italy v Albania

8pm

BBC

16-Jun

Play-off Winner A* v Netherlands

2pm

BBC

16-Jun

Slovenia v Denmark

5pm

ITV

16-Jun

Serbia v England

8pm

BBC

17-Jun

Romania v Play-off Winner B*

2pm

BBC

17-Jun

Belgium v Slovakia

5pm

ITV

17-Jun

Austria v France

8pm

ITV

18-Jun

Turkey v Play-off Winner C*

5pm

BBC

18-Jun

Portugal v Czech Republic

8pm

BBC

19-Jun

Croatia v Albania

2pm

ITV

19-Jun

Germany v Hungary 

5pm

BBC

19-Jun

Scotland v Switzerland

8pm

BBC

20-Jun

Slovenia v Serbia

2pm

ITV

20-Jun

Denmark v England

5pm

BBC

20-Jun

Spain v Italy 

8pm

ITV

21-Jun

Slovakia v Play-off winner B*

2pm

BBC

21-Jun

Play-off Winner A* v Austria

5pm

ITV

21-Jun

Netherlands v France

8pm

BBC

22-Jun

Play-off Winner C* v Czech Republic

2pm

BBC

22-Jun

Turkey v Portugal 

5pm

ITV

22-Jun

Belgium v Romania 

8pm

ITV

23-Jun

Switzerland v Germany 

8pm

BBC

23-Jun

Scotland v Hungary 

8pm

BBC

24-Jun

Albania v Spain

8pm

BBC

24-Jun

Croatia v Italy

8pm

BBC

25-Jun

Netherlands v Austria

5pm

BBC

25-Jun

France v Play-off Winner A*

5pm

BBC

25-Jun

England v Slovenia

8pm

ITV

25-Jun

Denmark v Serbia

8pm

ITV

26-Jun

Slovakia v Romania

5pm

BBC

26-Jun

Play-off Winner B* v Belgium

5pm

BBC

26-Jun

Play-off Winner C* v Portugal 

8pm

ITV

26-Jun

Czech Republic v Turkey 

8pm 

ITV

9 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

Rob Maclean has something of a more national profile. He did work for MOTD before his move to Setanta - which then in itself was a more "national" job. Since then, he's become the go-to secondary Scottish commentator for BT/TNT, Premier Sports etc. 

So presumably the network see him as a safe pair of hands (which of course is subjective, but you can sort of see where they're coming from). 

I think presentation will depend on the BBC's plans. If they go for a central studio in Berlin, then Gary Lineker might present all the live games, with Eilidh Barbour being the reporter in the Scotland camp, who then does some pre- and post-match stuff at the ground. 

ITV/STV will be interesting. Rory Hamilton popped up on ITVX, commentating on Wrexham v Yeovil. That might be a sign they're considering using him for Scotland games, which would make STV more inclined to take the network coverage.

I wouldn't necessarily object to Mark Pougatch presenting. He's an excellent presenter, and does seem to show enthusiasm for more than just England (at least, if the RWC was anything to go by). 

• 2 weeks later...