Aberdeen v Hearts: A Football Match

9 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Only 7 bookings for Hearts on a visit to Pittodrie is very restrained for them. Though Sibbick getting off without a yellow for two cynical break stopping fouls within about five minutes of each other was quite some feat.

Shankland's was a joke. The rest all definitely yellows as far as I can mind. Very scrappy stuff. Only thing that bugged me was Polvara done almost exactly the same thing as Denholm,to Denholm, about 3 minutes before and I don't even think we got a foul.

I thought we looked right out of it for the first 30 minutes, but the last 15 of the first half were played almost entirely in the Hearts half. For all their apparent dominance in that first half, Hearts only had two shots on target, and both in the first twenty minutes, with a total of five shots in the entire match. I also felt the much maligned Jonny Hayes had an excellent match today, so credit were credit’s due to him. 

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I thought we looked right out of it for the first 30 minutes, but the last 15 of the first half were played almost entirely in the Hearts half. For all their apparent dominance in that first half, Hearts only had two shots on target, and both in the first twenty minutes, with a total of five shots in the entire match. I also felt the much maligned Jonny Hayes had an excellent match today, so credit were credit’s due to him. 

We tried to sit on a 1 nil lead and it wasn't a good idea at all

Some of our players don't know that Hearts at this venue is a huge game and it isn't wise to invite the opposition on

We missed Devlin from the first game, shame, could have been different as he gets it

17 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Don't think many thought we "dominated" the first half but we were the better team. You did have a spell of playing in our half, but Clarkson chance aside, we were comfortable. 

2nd half we got it all wrong and you were better. Though mainly just by asking questions of us directly, we struggled to respond.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Hayes was better today but his crossing his abysmal. He got in an excellent position in the first half right in front of Section Y and he didn't bother to look up when he blasted one aimlessly in.

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Still laughing at shankland. 

Shushing pittodrie at his goal AND half time then not coping with a few shouts when he gets beat 😂

We’ll just have to agree to disagree about the shape of Shanks. Shall we just agree that he’s big boned?

An odd experience that. Watching a defeat in slow motion.

Hearts can have no complaints, having got exactly what they deserved for really poor management of the game. Naismith's comments about being bullied are nonsense. We do that performance all the time, and if it's not coming from him, then where's it coming from?

Yesterday Hearts were looking absolutely fine after half an hour. A goal up, relatively comfortable, all is well.

Pause it there and think through the situation. Hearts are on a good run in terms of results, we're leading against an opponent who is under pressure, with the crowd on their back, who have just lost at home to a team that never wins away. That's a time to use the initiative and keep your foot on the throat.

But Hearts never do that. We saw this at Ibrox when we went far too deep far too early and invited a level of pressure that eventually cost us the game. Even when keeping a high line, we cede the initiative and become passive, allowing the opponent to dictate the game. We did similar at Motherwell, and those who were present at Rugby Park agreed yesterday there had been a similar approach there, in as much as we never looked interesting in scoring another and sought to just managed the game out. At Motherwell and Killie you can sort of excuse it as playing percentages, given how relatively toothless they are.

However, Aberdeen's best players are their attackers, and they've shown they have weaknesses at the back. It made no sense to give up control of the game as we did. The start to the second half was all wrong in tone, and it was obvious five minutes in that we'd do well to get a point. And once you've given up initiative like that, the momentum means a game is only likely to go one way once you concede. Aberdeen's winner prompted one of my mates to just laugh and shrug his shoulders. What else could you do, we'd all seen it coming for the thick end of an hour.

Fair play to Aberdeen. They were in a hole and rolled up their sleeves. There's two sides to every game, and they deserve credit for their reaction. But Hearts played a huge part in their own downfall.

Fundamentally, the issues always come back to Nainsmith. The winning run, as I've mentioned before, was achieved with very fine margins against shite teams. You can't constantly bank on keeping a clean sheet to get you points. And giving teams with good attackers a chance to attack for huge chunks of the game WILL cost you goals. Yesterday is not the first time we've done this. It is strategy, and it is stupid. There are times when you need to finish a game off. I honestly just think Naismith is not quite bright enough to see that. And I think his reading of the psychology of the game yesterday when we were leading was shocking. Aberdeen were a domino waiting to be kicked over, and Hearts were passive and ultimately threw away a good position. A metaphor for the way the club has been run in the last year and a half.

f**k off, Naismith.

Edited by VincentGuerin

15 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

I was screaming for a red at the time.

Catches him knee high.

I was waiting for a red. I'd have wanted one if it'd been the other way round.

But it would have made no difference if he'd gone off. We were fucking awful second half, and Beni contributed less than nothing. 

Deserved to lose. Lost.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

f**k off, Naismith.

I really wanted him to do well, and even though we've not looked very good in winning those 4 games, hoped that they'd serve as a turning point.

But his inability to do *anything* to counter the obvious fact we were second best for the whole of the second half, bar chucking on an obviously unfit Craig Halkett, is a bit of a sliding doors moment for me.

So yeah, f**k off Naismith.

Just now, lennyzer0 said:

I really wanted him to do well, and even though we've not looked very good in winning those 4 games, hoped that they'd serve as a turning point.

But his inability to do *anything* to counter the obvious fact we were second best for the whole of the second half, bar chucking on an obviously unfit Craig Halkett, is a bit of a sliding doors moment for me.

So yeah, f**k off Naismith.

Putting Halkett into that, after our experience with Beni at Rosenborg, was a very worrying thing to see.