Aberdeen v Hearts: A Football Match

Roos

Devlin - Gartenmann - Jensen - McGarry (assuming no Mackenzie)

Barron - Shinnie

Morris - Clarkson - McGrath

Miovski

I would like to see us moving to a 4-2-3-1 for this, with something like the above. We have to change something structurally, because the 3-5-2 is currently making us too one-dimensional and predictable. Devlin playing as a more traditional full-back would still hopefully allow us to fold into a back three if required, especially if he has someone like Morris ahead of him who wants to run into space and doesn't necessarily want a full-back who is going to be occupying that. Barron surely has to come into the team regardless of his contract situation, hopefully easing some of the burden on Shinnie and ensuring a decent balance in that midfield. 

Edited by DrewDon

20 minutes ago, Darren said:

Would be most pleasing to put the final nail in Robson's coffin, although I suppose there's a good chance he'll be kept on until the cup final regardless.

Robson won't be sacked till after the league cup final or Livingston game if results don't improve. I think it might be more nearer the break.  

Edited by betting competition

3 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Aberdeen have won the last 7 at home against Hearts. Last time Hearts won was 2016 which was before they were relegated. 

Can see this good record going as the players looked a team lacking in confidence! 

Which one of them was that?

2nd? 3rd? 4th?

I can’t keep up. 

I hate being negative but our record up there is shocking.  I know we've won a few games recently but I'm still not convinced.

It will come down to what team is slightly less shit on the day.

Hearts at home has become the new Hibs at home in recent times.

We badly need to win this match tomorrow.

Will we?   Not if the one-paced pedestrian 90 minutes of dreck produced against Kilmarnock is repeated.

Our only hope in games right now seems to be if the opponents open up a bit. If Hearts just sit in and $hitfest it, they'll likely create a couple of openings somewhere along the line (certainly later in the game) and take at least one of them.  That might just be enough for 3 points.

19 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

I hate being negative but our record up there is shocking.  I know we've won a few games recently but I'm still not convinced.

It will come down to what team is slightly less shit on the day.

I, on the other hand, have no problem with being negative.

One-all draw. 

16 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Hearts at home has become the new Hibs at home in recent times.

We badly need to win this match tomorrow.

Will we?   Not if the one-paced pedestrian 90 minutes of dreck produced against Kilmarnock is repeated.

Our only hope in games right now seems to be if the opponents open up a bit. If Hearts just sit in and $hitfest it, they'll likely create a couple of openings somewhere along the line (certainly later in the game) and take at least one of them.  That might just be enough for 3 points.

Could be the battle of the long ball!

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

Roos

Devlin - Gartenmann - Jensen - McGarry (assuming no Mackenzie)

Barron - Shinnie

Morris - Clarkson - McGrath

Miovski

I would like to see us moving to a 4-2-3-1 for this, with something like the above. We have to change something structurally, because the 3-5-2 is currently making us too one-dimensional and predictable. Devlin playing as a more traditional full-back would still hopefully allow us to fold into a back three if required, especially if he has someone like Morris ahead of him who wants to run into space and doesn't necessarily want a full-back who is going to be occupying that. Barron surely has to come into the team regardless of his contract situation, hopefully easing some of the burden on Shinnie and ensuring a decent balance in that midfield. 

I like the majority of your thinking, and the change in shape is overdue. 
Im not sure why McDonald isn’t in the 11 though, arguably our best centre half ( I felt he was last season as well once he came in). 
I also am not sure about Morris, unless you want to win several corners on the right side. 
Would be glad to see Clarkson playing further up the pitch than Shinnie for a change. I get Robsons thinking that Shinnie can high press and Clarkson can spray the ball and dictate from deep but it just isn’t working. 

4 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

I like the majority of your thinking, and the change in shape is overdue. 
Im not sure why McDonald isn’t in the 11 though, arguably our best centre half ( I felt he was last season as well once he came in). 
I also am not sure about Morris, unless you want to win several corners on the right side. 
Would be glad to see Clarkson playing further up the pitch than Shinnie for a change. I get Robsons thinking that Shinnie can high press and Clarkson can spray the ball and dictate from deep but it just isn’t working. 

I think, if we were playing a back four, Gartenmann and Jensen would allow us to squeeze the game more than MacDonald. They are also more comfortable in possession. The best we have seen from MacDonald has been in the middle of a three, and I'm not sure how transferable the limitations of his game would be to a four. It is all likely academic anyway, as I'm pretty sure Robson will stick with the 3-5-2/5-3-2. 

I'm also not sure about Morris, but if you want to stretch the game on that side, he is probably our best - perhaps only - option at the moment, especially with McGrath at least nominally on the other side.