Edinburgh Derby Thread - The Ghost of David Brent Past

13 hours ago, Elixir said:

Rangers fans need to get it through their cretinous skulls that unless they cough up closer to £10m, Shankland won't be going anywhere in January. Alas, they are a bunch of utter tramps, so they won't.

This ain't ~2010 where Hearts are toiling for cash and urgently need to sell. We have no reason to, and he is clearly happy enough at present. The board also know they are under pressure after the recent AGM and won't entertain anything other than silly money.

Nor can he afford to down tools and/or chuck the toys out the pram to try and force a move if he hopes to be on the plane to Germany, let alone push to start as Scotland's number nine in the summer.

The ball is firmly in Heart of Midlothian's court. Unlucky.

If Hearts get £10m for a 28 year old no paced striker who has done very little outside of the Scottish Championship during his 11 year career, that will be one of the best deals in the history of football outwith Aberdeen getting £2m for Sam Cosgrove.

Clearly we're no getting 10m or anywhere near that. 

Personally I'm happy for us to keep him for the next 18 months, he's probably more valuable to us than anyone else in that timeframe.  If we get offered mental money, then he'll probably go, other than that I'm more interested in seeing us win than having cash you'd no be able to replace him with.

7 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Clearly we're no getting 10m or anywhere near that. 

Personally I'm happy for us to keep him for the next 18 months, he's probably more valuable to us than anyone else in that timeframe.  If we get offered mental money, then he'll probably go, other than that I'm more interested in seeing us win than having cash you'd no be able to replace him with.

I'd like to think of the board being mindful of what it cost us to f**k up the January window last year.

We didn't just lose the group stage money, it went to a direct rival. There was probably a £7-8m swing from us to Aberdeen as a result of making a c**t of that window. Without that, they probably sell Duk and/or Miovski last summer, have less cash to strengthen, and we have more, obviously.

To sell Shankland and potentially give that kind of advantage to Hibs or Aberdeen again would be unforgivable. Not much point getting £3m for him, then seeing Hibs scoop up the group stage money next season, and having that plus European fitba to attract players to go to them rather than us.

See out this season, then move him on. That would make him an unbelievably successful signing overall, and leave us well-placed to actually have medium-term benefit from buying him in terms of being in Europe and able to attract new players. It's an important decision.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

I can understand him wanting to leave. This will be his one big deal, and it's a chance to put away life-changing money, and maybe move somewhere where he wins medals and guarantees a place in the Scotland squad. I've got no issue with that, and I think the cost of getting him to sign a new deal may be prohibative. I think we should have given him a new contract in the summer, and I thought so at the time too.

But I reckon a sensible thing to do now would be to tell him we'll sell him in the summer assuming we get an offer of a certain level, and tell him to get on with banging in the goals to get us third and him to the Euros.

That all makes sense but who, realistically, is going to challenge Hearts for third?

St Mirren have fallen off a cliff and the rest of us take points off each other. Killie are going well but a big ask to keep it up. 

7 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

That all makes sense but who, realistically, is going to challenge Hearts for third?

St Mirren have fallen off a cliff and the rest of us take points off each other. Killie are going well but a big ask to keep it up. 

Hibs and Aberdeen both still could. I think Aberdeen are over-rated, as covered on previous threads, but they could well put together another run. I think hibs have a good enough side to do so as well.

If Shankland stays, I'd make us favourites. I said at the start of the season I reckoned we had the third best squad in the league, and I've not seen anything to change my mind on that.

But our team is set up with Shankland as the focal point. It works if he's there, how it works if we sell him and need to mix things up is anyone's guess. Selling him is a risk we don't need to take, and, I'd argue, a false economy.

Edited by VincentGuerin

25 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I would advise shankland to down tool. To be denied going to his boyhood heroes, try really hard for 3rd place only for Jacob brown to be called for a sub appearance in the 84th minute of the final game would be too devastating imo. 

Shankland should be in the Euro squad ahead of Brown. 

50 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

If Hearts get £10m for a 28 year old no paced striker who has done very little outside of the Scottish Championship during his 11 year career, that will be one of the best deals in the history of football outwith Aberdeen getting £2m for Sam Cosgrove.

He's done quite a lot in the Premiership actually.

Nobody is paying £10m or even £5m for him, but it's not up to Hearts to assess how much he's worth to other clubs, it's up to them to assess how much he's worth to us at the moment. If no-one pays it, that's fine.

24 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

We're on a very good run, but we still don't score many. I wouldn't be massively surprised if we drop points to Ross County and/or Livi in our next couple of games.

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

He's done quite a lot in the Premiership actually.

Nobody is paying £10m or even £5m for him, but it's not up to Hearts to assess how much he's worth to other clubs, it's up to them to assess how much he's worth to us at the moment. If no-one pays it, that's fine.

That's mostly true and I'm glad it's an attitude we're starting to see our clubs adopt. One caveat though is how much the player wants to leave, as if there is a big desire for them to leave you don't know if you'll continue to have a player operating at the same level. That's just a general thought though, I don't think there's much indication that shankland is at all interested in a move let alone likely to down tools

2 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

That's mostly true and I'm glad it's an attitude we're starting to see our clubs adopt. One caveat though is how much the player wants to leave, as if there is a big desire for them to leave you don't know if you'll continue to have a player operating at the same level. That's just a general thought though, I don't think there's much indication that shankland is at all interested in a move let alone likely to down tools

I might be totally wrong, but he doesn’t come across as the sharpest tool in the box. So I would imagine money will talk for him.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

No way we're getting £10 million for him, but to suggest he's 'done very little outside of the Scottish Championship' is disingenuous, at absolute best.

Edited by lennyzer0

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

We're on a very good run, but we still don't score many. I wouldn't be massively surprised if we drop points to Ross County and/or Livi in our next couple of games.

Please don't.