Ayr United vs Dunfermline Athletic - Goodbye 2023

7 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

The injuries are just a complete joke tbh. Either the unluckiest club in the country or we’re doing something wrong with training/rehabilitation.

Completely agree. As I say, both Breen and Bene seem to have been asked to do too much too soon twice in a row when returning now.

Obviously, both seem to be rushed back out of necessity. But it was clear to fans all summer that we needed more depth, I have no idea why they have allowed us to end up in this position. Our injury list hasn’t come down at all this season and I genuinely believe that the lack of squad depth is a large part of the cause of that.

Is there a bit of bad luck? Yes, absolutely. But there’s also a lot of poor decisions being made with injury prevention/rehab. McCann’s hamstring went last year, when he’d been asked to do a lot of running over a prolonged period. Same happened this season. Breen and Bene’s last 2 returns have now been the exact same, which suggests lessons haven’t been learned at all, both getting injured really quickly after returning on both occasions. That’s not a coincidence, that’s just really poor management (whether it be coaching staff or medical team). I think KRH’s injuries are just rotten luck though.

10 minutes ago, Heaton said:

100% No cover forcing us to rush them back. If the club can't see the dire position we are in at the back and use some Nisbit money to bring in players then wtf are they doing? The academy was meant to be from the investment so where has that fee gone? On long term deals for Mehmet?

Nisbet moneys been spent bud, cash flow.  

Two dumpling teams, Dunfermline should have won it with their first half chances but we should probably have been given the opportunity to win it with a penalty near the end.  Probably undeserved had we converted so not overly annoyed by the lack of award.  

Just now, VinnyPar said:

Breen played 90 on Saturday, naive to say he's been rushed back. There was clearly no plan to bring bene on today, it was done out of necessity.

Just because he didn’t pick up an injury in his first game back, doesn’t mean he hasn’t been rushed back. Last 2 times he’s returned from injury, he’s been thrown straight back into the starting 11 immediately. Both times, he’s gone off injured in the second half of the second game. Seems very likely that’s due to being asked to do too much too soon. Do you honestly believe that’s a coincidence?

Having been involved in sport for most of my life, I know that if I picked up a muscular injury shortly after returning, I’d be getting told I was trying to do too much too soon. The fact it’s happened twice in a row is really poor.

2 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Just because he didn’t pick up an injury in his first game back, doesn’t mean he hasn’t been rushed back. Last 2 times he’s returned from injury, he’s been thrown straight back into the starting 11 immediately. Both times, he’s gone off injured in the second half of the second game. Seems very likely that’s due to being asked to do too much too soon. Do you honestly believe that’s a coincidence?

Having been involved in sport for most of my life, I know that if I picked up a muscular injury shortly after returning, I’d be getting told I was trying to do too much too soon. The fact it’s happened twice in a row is really poor.

Not being funny but what was the alternative? Hammy broken cheek bone, Otoo with a knock and Bene clearly not fit. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

That shambolic first 45 was the worst I've seen any Ayr team produce since we got horsed 7-0 at Somerset by Caley Thistle 14 years ago. Utterly appalling. The fact that Dunfermline let us back into that game is unbelievable and yet, going by Pars fans on here, all too believable.

In summary; we are both shite. Happy New Year lads.

McPake said the Bene injury in his first game back was completely unrelated so I'm not sure we can read to much into a rushed return.

Injuries this season have been completely ridiculous. KRH alone has had more operations than most squads will have in a season.

Will take the point and us finding a net with the striker.

Just now, VinnyPar said:

Not being funny but what was the alternative? Hammy broken cheek bone, Otoo with a knock and Bene clearly not fit. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Not being funny, but if you read my posts about it further up, I’ve said that a lot of the problem is due to the club’s lack of recruitment in the summer and the terrible squad depth. But again, just because it’s been out of necessity doesn’t mean that the players haven’t been rushed back. Lack of depth was mentioned a lot by fans during the transfer window and the club didn’t sort it.

Serious question for all Pars fans here, has any outfielder at the club returned from injury and stayed fit this season? Not all rushed back (as I said before KRH is just rotten luck), but it’s quite telling that I’m struggling to think of anyone who’s returned from injury and got back to fitness.

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

McPake said the Bene injury in his first game back was completely unrelated so I'm not sure we can read to much into a rushed return.

Being unrelated doesn’t mean that he wasn’t rushed back. Recurrence of the same injury isn’t the only potential result of being rushed back. Injuries caused by putting too much pressure on other muscles/joints is actually pretty common. Thats why it’s quite rare to see players start after a lengthy spell out. The strain that a competitive match puts on your joints/muscles is hard to replicate with training, so it’s safer to ease them back into it. 

Sometimes it can be rotten luck, but the exact same outcome for both Bene and Breen’s 2 returns makes it less likely that it’s just bad luck/coincidence. I understand that it’s been out of necessity, but you can be forced back out of necessity and rushed back at the same time. Squad depth was flagged as an issue all summer, particularly in defence and that has been a significant factor in the fact that we can’t get players back to fitness after injury.

10 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Serious question for all Pars fans here, has any outfielder at the club returned from injury and stayed fit this season?

Without wishing to curse him. Ben Summers ...

Kane was returned fine before standing on the ball and dislocating his shoulder.

But I agree CB cover is needed on Jan 1st.

17 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Not being funny, but if you read my posts about it further up, I’ve said that a lot of the problem is due to the club’s lack of recruitment in the summer and the terrible squad depth. But again, just because it’s been out of necessity doesn’t mean that the players haven’t been rushed back. Lack of depth was mentioned a lot by fans during the transfer window and the club didn’t sort it.

Serious question for all Pars fans here, has any outfielder at the club returned from injury and stayed fit this season? Not all rushed back (as I said before KRH is just rotten luck), but it’s quite telling that I’m struggling to think of anyone who’s returned from injury and got back to fitness.

Mehmet.

Misread the post.

Edited by VinnyPar

Just now, 101 said:

Without wishing to curse him. Ben Summers ...

Kane was returned fine before standing on the ball and dislocating his shoulder.

But I agree CB cover is needed on Jan 1st.

Probably fair. Although, he did return once (perhaps v Ayr?) then miss another few weeks through injury. Then came back v Airdrie and picked up another knock and was out for the next week. Then he returned to the bench last week, before starting today. If that’s our best example of a player returning to fitness, that’s a concern for me. Fingers crossed he is over his injury issues though.

He is also fortunate that he returned when Moffat was in good form, so should have been able to be eased back in. Defensively, we seem to have gambled on all of our defenders being at full fitness for the entire season.

1 minute ago, CallumPar said:

Being unrelated doesn’t mean that he wasn’t rushed back. Recurrence of the same injury isn’t the only potential result of being rushed back. Injuries caused by putting too much pressure on other muscles/joints is actually pretty common. Thats why it’s quite rare to see players start after a lengthy spell out. The strain that a competitive match puts on your joints/muscles is hard to replicate with training, so it’s safer to ease them back into it. 

Sometimes it can be rotten luck, but the exact same outcome for both Bene and Breen’s 2 returns makes it less likely that it’s just bad luck/coincidence. I understand that it’s been out of necessity, but you can be forced back out of necessity and rushed back at the same time. Squad depth was flagged as an issue all summer, particularly in defence and that has been a significant factor in the fact that we can’t get players back to fitness after injury.

I know absolutely 0 about sports injury from what McPake has said in the past Bene wanted to play weeks ago and was told not to, if he's been injured again today then it seems to a mere fan that long enough has gone by and 20 minutes on a good grass surface seems a good time to get minutes in the legs.

You're spot on about squad depth, the bench was again looking pretty sparce again today.

I do wonder why players in the winter months don't wear compression leggings, it would keep their muscles far warmer in the cold weather, particularly players playing with VAR when there are now long stoppages in play. And I do wonder if McCann and Moffat who have both had muscle injuries after significant stoppages in play due to the stretcher being used can lay their injuries down to a lack of a proper warm up when the game was ready to restart.

7 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Don't disagree mate, I think a big part of the problem is the persistence with the back 3 which limits what we can do with the players available. Looked like we went to a back 4 towards the end today and seemed to fair ok.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

I do wonder why players in the winter months don't wear compression leggings, it would keep their muscles far warmer in the cold weather, particularly players playing with VAR when there are now long stoppages in play. And I do wonder if McCann and Moffat who have both had muscle injuries after significant stoppages in play due to the stretcher being used can lay their injuries down to a lack of a proper warm up when the game was ready to restart.

Valid points regarding compression shorts/leggings. Also very valid to discuss the stoppages in play and that connection - I hadn’t really thought of that one. It’s something I’d hope the medical team are looking at, to see if they can come up with ways to keep players’ muscles warm during longer stoppages.

Sorry if I’m coming across as being argumentative with you and @VinnyParI’m just sharing my opinion and I’m well aware I could be wrong. Think we’re all (understandably) frustrated with the current state of affairs with injuries/squad depth.

1 minute ago, CallumPar said:

Valid points regarding compression shorts/leggings. Also very valid to discuss the stoppages in play and that connection - I hadn’t really thought of that one. It’s something I’d hope the medical team are looking at, to see if they can come up with ways to keep players’ muscles warm during longer stoppages.

Sorry if I’m coming across as being argumentative with you and @VinnyParI’m just sharing my opinion and I’m well aware I could be wrong. Think we’re all (understandably) frustrated with the current state of affairs with injuries/squad depth.

Don't think it's argumentative in the slightest (do you!!!!! ;))

I think when you operate with a smaller squad then you have to have a really good medical team and players who are honest about an injury, you can't have folk saying they are fine causing a fortnight sidelined to be turned into a month long thing.

I don't think there is something wrong with the current medical set up as I would have thought other players would have been injured. Like you I think the lack of cover in the back line means that pretty much every second the CBs can play they have to play which really isn't helpful. However I do think the stoppages in play haven't helped the other issues we have had especially in the winter months when the wind chill will cool muscles faster than in the summer.

Been watching Pars since 1985 and never know such a farcical situation with injuries.

Every week we have 2 players getting injured. Fuk knows whats going on. We're either cursed or got serious health and conditioning problems and some heads need to roll.

Again we revert to being a bunch of shitbags on a two goal lead. Shite game management. McPake has previous at Dundee for this.