Anderson declares for Scotland

2 hours ago, BazMac said:

For what it’s worth (nothing), I completely agree with @adamntg’s point and have thought the same in the past. When I see a youngster is actually born in England I know that if they are to become the legendary player we all dream of, they will play for England, so there’s no point getting excited about them.

That said… if we were to become a country that caps players young to guarantee them then that might not necessarily be the case, but it’s never been our style.

They’d probably just Elliot-Anderson us at that point. 

6 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I mean, it’s no surprise whatsoever that most people born and raised in England with some heritage elsewhere will feel predominantly English and maybe with a bit of connection to elsewhere. However, that’s not always going to be the case, and it’s always worth asking the question. Every country loses out on guys they’d have liked to play for them with dual nationalities, including England (Jamal Musiala the main example I can think of recently).

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Michael Olise too.

Erling Haaland was born in Leeds.

51 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Erling Haaland was born in Leeds.

True, although he left England when he was 3. He's no more English than John McEnroe's German and Cliff Richard's Indian. Birth location is a product of dad's employment at the time.

In fact for that matter Musiala was only in England between the ages of 7 and 16. He's German born to German parents and lived there much longer than he ever did in England. He and Haaland are eligible for England but are not 'English'. Olise is more of a loss given ge's English born AND raised and played his early career there. Never the less he chose his mother's French nationality.

9 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Most of us would walk over hot coals to play for Scotland.

Ask them once. Get the answer.

I think that's a bit simplistic tbh. I know Angus Gunn isn't exactly a world beater but he's probably still head shoulders  over any Scottish born option at present, he had to be asked a couple of times iirc. Same goes for Adams, if it's problem positions then it's a bit different for me.

Edited by gannonball

On 13/09/2024 at 19:32, Quentin Taranbino said:

There was another story regarding Robertson and orhers at the time kicking about that may run alongside the slider and sweet story or it may be a separate incident altogether. 

It was something along the lines of Robertson, McGinn, McLean and I think another basically taking the piss out of him in training because he had been flip flopping between scotland and england and Anderson didn't feel very welcome so f**ked off.

A Geordie without a sense of humour? No way!