Hibernian - Motherwell [02/01/24]

Hopefully Butcher or Blaney are fit enough to start so we don’t have to bring Mugabi back in. Expect we’ll bring in an additional midfielder in place of Oli Shaw for this one and go back to a more typical 3-5-2 rather than the weird 5-2-3 we saw against Livi. 

Not sure what to make of Hibs this season. They’ve arguably got one of the best forward lines in the league but don’t seem great in other areas? Guessing they’ll have a few regulars missing due to Asian Cup & AFCON call ups too.

Another positive result, even a draw, would put a better spin on things going into the break with 1 defeat in 5 (Rangers). 

I've had a think about it and it's 100% gonna be a 523 with Spittal at WB and Slattery one side of Bair, Mika the other.

fucking disaster

8 minutes ago, ropy said:

I am not there so I won’t see but I suspect it is a solid two banks of 4 just chucking balls up to Mika and Bair to do their thing.

That would probably be preferable to some of the other formation suggestions.

Blaney, Butcher and Casey all injured is fairly disastrous to be honest.  I mean, I don’t rate any of them but doesn’t help that we’re struggling to field a defence.

Preferable yes, but there is no way Kettlewell is deviating from the set up that won him the last game, it's not in his nature, Sticking Slattery up there V livi was a precursor for this

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Preferable yes, but there is no way Kettlewell is deviating from the set up that won him the last game, it's not in his nature, Sticking Slattery up there V livi was a precursor for this

I dunno. I'm thinking he will go 2 up top. But I'm really worried we are going to see Spittal at wingback again.

If he is wanting the back 5 then the gap is at right wing back, despite there being two right backs in the team.  He could nominally stick Paton there but surely personnel trumps formation in this case.  There are 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and 2 strikers.   Butcher clearly isn’t fit.  I’ve been caught out with Spencer’s suspension, hadn’t noticed it coming up.

Edited by ropy

Just now, ropy said:

Jim Duffy just read out a 3-4-1-2 formation.

5212 that is. Wing backs are defenders, I'll die on that hill.