Africa Cup of Nations 2023

BFTD

Mad late scenes all round.

Egypt defeat already qualified Cabo Verde to qualify behind them as runners-up. 

Mozambique hit two late goals to draw with Ghana but it isn't enough to see them through, both teams out.

Côte d'Ivoire move closer to the knockout stages, they just need one more group to go their way now.

How anyone can watch the Ivorian players cry, or the Cape Verdean celebrations when they scored the winner against Ghana, then say that international football is an irrelevance is beyond me.

As much as I love Thistle, I'd rather score a goal for my country every time. Surely that's the best it gets?

59 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Mad late scenes all round.

Egypt draw with already qualified Cabo Verde to qualify behind them as runners-up. 

Mozambique hit two late goals to draw with Ghana but it isn't enough to see them through, both teams out.

Côte d'Ivoire move closer to the knockout stages, they just need one more group to go their way now.

I've messed this up.

Ghana still have a slim chance of qualifying. They need The Gambia to draw with Cameroon and Morocco to beat Zambia.

Crazy conclusion to that group.

Holders Senegal top the group after a 2-0 win against Guinea, who also go through.

In the other game, The Gambia went 2-1 up with five minutes to go against Cameroon, giving themselves a chance of qualifying, only to almost immediately score an own goal which looked likely to send both teams out and hosts Côte d'Ivoire through. Then Cameroon take the lead, before a late Gambian equaliser was disallowed for a Maradona-esque handball. 

Cameroon through, and even finish runners-up due to Senegal's late second goal in the other game. The Gambia out, Ghana out. Côte d'Ivoire's chances hanging by a thread.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Another traditional powerhouse eliminated as Algeria lose one-nil to Mauritania, who pick up their first ever AFCON win to make the knockout stages for the first time.

Angola finish top by beating Burkina Faso 2-0, the latter have to settle for being group runners-up.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Angola finish top by beating Burkina Faso 2-0, the latter have to settle for being group runners-up.

A disappointing result but they’re through and that’s the main thing. #lesetalons