Most Appearances For Your Club Without Scoring

Obviously discounting keepers for this. 

According to the AFC heritage website, for the Dons it's a guy called Pat McKenna who played 204 times (all starts) from 1945 to 1952 without finding the net. He is 79th on the all time appearance list for Aberdeen. 

The highest on the list in my lifetime is Derek Whyte who made 155 apps (153 starts). He is 124th on the all time appearance list. 

According to London Hearts for us it's Davie Holt, who played 308 games for Hearts between 1960 and 1969, without a goal.

Nobody in my time as a supporter has played more than 100 games and not scored (Robbie Neilson goes closest, I think).

Edited by lennyzer0

42 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

According to London Hearts for us it's Davie Holt, who played 308 games for Hearts between 1960 and 1969, without a goal.

Nobody in my time as a supporter has played more than 100 games and not scored (Robbie Neilson goes closest, I think).

Yes, Davie Holt was an "old school" left back (occasionally played right back).  He did score for Queens Park but a round zero for Hearts, Scotland (5 caps), Great Britain (Olympic Team while an amateur), Scottish League or Partick Thistle.

My memory of him is he was rarely up near the opposition box. Until Tommy Gemmell most full backs were like that.

15 minutes ago, Alberto Spencer said:

Yes, Davie Holt was an "old school" left back (occasionally played right back).  He did score for Queens Park but a round zero for Hearts, Scotland (5 caps), Great Britain (Olympic Team while an amateur), Scottish League or Partick Thistle.

My memory of him is he was rarely up near the opposition box. Until Tommy Gemmell most full backs were like that.

I remember Ally Shewan scoring for the Dons at Dens Park for a late equaliser in a 4-4 draw in 1968.

For Dundee I think it’s Ian Ure. He played 107 league games, 6 Scottish Cup, 20 League Cup and 8 European Cup between 1958/59 and 1962/63 without scoring. For Scotland 8 of his 11 appearances were when he was at Dundee plus 1 for Scotland U23:and 4 for the Scottish League, all without scoring. He did eventually score 2 goals for Arsenal and 1 for Manchester United. 

Apparently a Willie Steel played 162 times for us in the 20s without scoring a goal.

Charlie McFadyn played 262 times and only scored 3 times, so maybe has a slim chance of beating it.

I'm only going by Wikipedia here so it may not be 100% correct, but defender Willie Frame played 198 times for us (1924-1931, 1938-1939) and didn't score.

In my lifetime, Simo Valakari played 119 times for Motherwell between 1996-2000 and never scored.  He did, however, make a few dents in the Davie Cooper stand roof with some of his attempts.  I'm pretty certain Simo then went onto score on his home debut for Derby in the Premiership, live on Sky, just after leaving Fir Park.

3 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Obviously discounting keepers for this. 

According to the AFC heritage website, for the Dons it's a guy called Pat McKenna who played 204 times (all starts) from 1945 to 1952 without finding the net. He is 79th on the all time appearance list for Aberdeen. 

The highest on the list in my lifetime is Derek Whyte who made 155 apps (153 starts). He is 124th on the all time appearance list. 

Michael Hart played 145 times for AFC without scoring.

I don't think he scored in his entire career, played more than 270 games.

1 hour ago, O_Kahn said:

Michael Hart played 145 times for AFC without scoring.

I don't think he scored in his entire career, played more than 270 games.

Someone mentioning Michael Hart in the returning players thread was what led me to look it up. 

St Mirren.info have broken our player records down alphabetically so 25 pages (no X, Y&Z combined but an extra page for the Mc/Macs

Past Players | StMirren.info

Bobby Ansell played 219 games without scoring and so I'm giving him the award without even looking at the Bs.

Edited by btb

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Apparently a Willie Steel played 162 times for us in the 20s without scoring a goal.

Charlie McFadyn played 262 times and only scored 3 times, so maybe has a slim chance of beating it.

By my counts the most recent person to fall into the category was Chris Millar who went 142 games without scoring a goal for us over the course of 5 seasons. 

13 minutes ago, Widge said:

By my counts the most recent person to fall into the category was Chris Millar who went 142 games without scoring a goal for us over the course of 5 seasons. 

My memory is he came to us as a goalscoring midfielder too 😂

According to Wikipedia, Hibs have a player from the World War 1 era called William Dornan who played 357 league games for Hibs without ever scoring a goal. He didn't score in any of the 25 games he played when on loan to Leith Athletic either. Eventually, he scored a single goal in one of this 107 appearances for Queen of the South.

Edited by Aim Here

5 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Ralph McKenzie 148 games with no goals i think 

Yep (post WWII anyway), although not counting Stirlingshire Cup and so on he was 137.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

5 hours ago, btb said:

St Mirren.info have broken our player records down alphabetically so 25 pages (no X, Y&Z combined but an extra page for the Mc/Macs

Bobby Ansell played 219 games without scoring and so I'm giving him the award without even looking at the Bs.

5 hours ago, btb said:

I notice he was a full back. I dunno, but for us I assumed it’d be a striker.