Bonnyrigg Rose vs Dumbarton

Match Outcome  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Match Outcome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/01/24 at 14:59

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

That looked like a stonewaller at the death there. 

Improved in the 2nd half but it was as clear as day we needed fresh legs around the hour mark and Farrell seemed to take an age to make a change.

2 points dropped IMO.

The one cleared off the line was definitely close, too. Probably unlikely 100% of the ball was over the line, though.

On a proper surface, I think we’d thump them. As poor as we were, we were the only side that tried to play any football. Agree re 2 points dropped. Bonnyrigg are absolutely gash.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

That looked like a stonewaller at the death there. 

Improved in the 2nd half but it was as clear as day we needed fresh legs around the hour mark and Farrell seemed to take an age to make a change.

2 points dropped IMO.

The stream played it back a few times in slow mo and I’m not totally convinced either way.

1 minute ago, super-son said:

The stream played it back a few times in slow mo and I’m not totally convinced either way.

Yeah, was tough to say either way. Even after a few watches. Possible that he got the ball, but not conclusive.

Edited by FifeSons

As long as we're bumbling about, dropping points in the manner we did today, then we'll be stuck in League 2. That first half performance was simply unacceptable. A bit improved in the second 45 but we're going nowhere fast at the moment. It's difficult to see that changing under our current management. 

I'm concerned next weekend's defeat could end up an excruciating humiliation come the full time whistle.

3 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Think it was @Silverton End who said it last week. Slightest bit of pressure and he resorts to bizarre selections and formations. Why would anyone in their right mind drop R.Wallace and Ruth and start Declan Byrne.

He will forever be Stevie Ranieri to me.

Aye, Bonnyrigg are a bunch if hammer throwers and look like a junior side playing in the professional leagues. But that says as much about our inability to grind out results as it does about them being in this league.

We built a team, at the start of the season, who liked to get the ball down and play. But too many of the pitches in our league struggle for half the season and look like today's. Makes it more laughable that our own is only a little better, so handicaps us in about a quarter of our league games throughout the season.

As I touched on above, we have an inability to grind out results on days like today. We are also losing far too many soft goals, every week, at the moment. Having to score 4 or 5 goals every week, when you lack creativity and confidence in the final third, is impossible.

Thought we responded well to going a goal down. Players didn’t give up and Shiels could have equalised just before half-time had it not been for a last-ditch Bonnyrigg block. Newbury looks a good acquisition - composed and made some good tackles. Came out the traps at the start of the second half and a great block on the line from Martinuyk prevented us taking the lead. Fair play to Bonnyrigg - not pretty but they just never give up! 

I thought we should have sacked Faz after the relegation from League 1 but credit where credit’s due - acted quickly to bring in Hogarth & Newbury (as much as I like Broun and Lynas, the former two are upgrades), and whatever was said at half-time clearly got the right reaction from the players. Still very much in the play-off mix. 

25 minutes ago, Elephant and Castle said:

Thought we responded well to going a goal down. Players didn’t give up and Shiels could have equalised just before half-time had it not been for a last-ditch Bonnyrigg block. Newbury looks a good acquisition - composed and made some good tackles. Came out the traps at the start of the second half and a great block on the line from Martinuyk prevented us taking the lead. Fair play to Bonnyrigg - not pretty but they just never give up! 

I thought we should have sacked Faz after the relegation from League 1 but credit where credit’s due - acted quickly to bring in Hogarth & Newbury (as much as I like Broun and Lynas, the former two are upgrades), and whatever was said at half-time clearly got the right reaction from the players. Still very much in the play-off mix. 

66885b80-c431-4db4-bf39-0f4009addc66_tex

31 minutes ago, Elephant and Castle said:

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Leaving with a point after that second-half showing is really frustrating. Paddy Martin in goals for Bonnyrigg turned in a blinder of a performance, but with 18 shots we really should be scoring more than once. The second-half was very much one way traffic, and Bonnyrigg looked content to pack bodies behind the ball and take a point.

I know people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones and all that. But my God is that pitch atrocious. It's as bad as I've seen at this level, and somehow managed to be even worse than our own. Players were slipping on their arses constantly, the ball either died as soon as it hit the ground, or sped up and took weird bobbles. It's a nightmare, and although it possibly helps Bonnyrigg to an extent - I also think it will hinder their progress up the division. You can't win a league with a rubbish home pitch (as we proved last season).

The first-half was a truly terrible watch for the most part. Bonnyrigg picked up far more second balls than us, and played the park well. We were guilty of overplaying and trying to score a prime Arsenal goal - rather than moving the ball quickly and getting shots/crosses away.

Jay Hogarth came for a cross and was beaten to it for the goal. But redeemed himself with a genuinely world class save from Kieran McGachie about 10 minutes later. It was astonishing stuff and looked to do his confidence the world of good as he made another good stop soon after from Conor Doan.

But that was about all Bonnyrigg offered all afternoon. And in the second-half Hogarth's action was almost exclusively passing the ball and taking the odd free-kick and goal kick.

It took us until about 10 minutes from half-time to get going. But when we did I did think it was only a matter of time before we scored. We started the second-half as we'd finished the first, and when Carlo stabbed home from inside a packed box I thought we'd go on and win the game.

We basically did everything possible to do that; aside from forcing the ball into the net. Albeit the players seemed quite adamant that a Jinky Hilton (I think) effort five minutes after we levelled had crossed the line. But there's no way I could tell from where I was.

On his first start since September, Declan Byrne was very, very rusty for the first half hour or so. But he grew into the game, and I thought he did well for stages in the second-half. His trademark bump and roll technique worked a few times on Kerr Young. He's not Michael Ruth mind you, who made a massive difference in holding play up, stretching the game and involving the wide players when he came on.

Ruth had a strong penalty shout waved away in injury time which, in real time, I thought looked like a spot kick. I asked a well known Sons fan and former referee for his view, and he agreed based on the real time viewing. But I'll wait to see it back on the replay to say for certain.

I actually thought that Lloyd Wilson, the referee, had a very good game. He managed it sensibly given the conditions, he didn't take any shite, but also was always speaking to the players.

Calling back an advantage for a free-kick when Kalvin Orsi had been sent clear was a bad decision. But he instantly held his hands up and told our bench that he thought the ball went out. So fair play, I think everyone has time for a ref who can hold his hands up like that and explain a mistake. He's one of the good ones imo, I'm always quite impressed by him.

In terms of our performers, nobody was howling for the whole game (although a few were first-half) and there were some decent showings across the board; albeit interspersed with poor decisions at the vital moments.

The one guy I thought who stood out above everyone else again though, was Cian Newbury. Playing against Rory McAllister on Tuesday, and then on Bonnyrigg's porridge of a pitch against Kieran McGachie today will have been a massive education for him. And he's barely put a foot wrong in either game.

I thought he was terrific today. He tried to play out when playing out was on. He hammered the ball out the park when that was the right thing to do. He didn't look in any way intimidated or out of place against the most physical side in the league and his decision making and communication on and off the ball were first class. Granted we've only seen him for 160 minutes or so, and sides will have to try and suss out how to get at him, but for an 18-year-old centre-back he could be a real find.

Marc Kelly came on at the same time as Ruth and was fairly quiet playing wide on the left, albeit he glided past a few challenges and unleashed a good effort late on that went just over. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action and where we deploy him.

As for Bonnyrigg. Well they were Bonnyrigg, and they Rosey Posey'd us today. Paddy Martin is a class goalkeeper who will go on to play at a higher level I suspect. All over the park there was desire, there was grit, bravery and hard work. Just not a great deal of quality.

It's odd. If all games were played on a beautiful pitch in perfect weather (and with Clyde and Elgin now getting their act together a bit) I'd say that Bonnyrigg are probably the worst side in the league. But this is Scottish League Two; results are determined by grit, how much you want it and your ability to adapt to dodgy parks and weather. And no team in this league is better at that than they are.

They won't finish bottom for that reason. Not one single side will enjoy their visit to NDP, and very few will enjoy playing Bonnyrigg home or away I'd imagine. You always know it will be a real scrap. And I'd imagine our players are feeling it tonight.

They are possibly the exact opposite of us. We're a nice side with a soft underbelly. They're a poor side with a steel underbelly. I like NDP as a ground, I've never seen us lose there and there are plenty of friendly people about. But I'm glad we don't have to go back there again this season. 

3 hours ago, FifeSons said:

He definitely waited too long to make subs. Also very odd that R.Wallace didn’t get on.

On Ryan Wallace; he had a sudden family bereavement during the week Faz said. He wasn't sure if he'd be able to make the game, and even when he did what frame of mind he would be in. So that's why he was left on the bench.

Well, I actually enjoyed that today.  In my eyes I was watching a contest totally lacking in football finesse but full of action and interest, whilst in my mind I was watching a game on the Baseball Ground in December 1971.  And it's a while since I've been in a ground where the standing area conditions match the pitch.

Now that the pressure of winning the league has been removed, it was a fairly relaxed occasion to the extent that Faz came up with a starting eleven that even AI would have baulked at.  Despite that we should have won, although any visiting neutrals would probably consider that a draw was a fair result.

And the really good news is that we will almost certainly be back at New Dundas Park next season when the Rosey Posey can have yet another crack at trying to beat us on league business.

1 hour ago, Elephant and Castle said:

Stevie?