Bronson Battersby

In an absolutely tragic case, two year old Bronson Battersby was found dead in Skegness earlier this week.  His father, Kenny Battersby, was also found dead at the address.  It appears that Kenny died of a heart attack at some point and Bronson died of starvation or dehydration after being trapped in the flat.  Bronson had a social worker, who would visit once a month.  The social worker called at the flat on the 2nd and then again on the 4th but there was no answer and the police were called on both occasions.  Finally on the 9th the landlord opened the flat for social work and the bodies were discovered.  Apparently, the post mortem showed Kenny Battersby died around the 29th of December.

Timeline on the case here - https://news.sky.com/story/bronson-battersby-a-timeline-of-events-leading-up-to-toddlers-death-13050720?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

Bronson's mother has criticised social workers, telling The Sun:

"If social services had done their job Bronson would still be alive.

"But they didn't do anything. I can't believe it. They can't let them get away with this.

"They think Kenneth died no earlier than December 29.

"It means if the social worker had pushed to get in when she got no reply on January 2 then Bronson would still have been alive."

Bronson's mother had not seen him since November.

I don't know the full circumstances and the entire case is awful but I can't imagine having a two year old and not seeing him or checking in on him for a few days, let alone months.  Clearly the mother has experienced a huge tragedy and it's understandable to look for people to blame but I'm not sure social workers can be fully responsible for this.  Knowing a few social workers myself, if they starting kicking in the doors of everyone who missed an appointment, there's going to be a lot of busted doors.

12 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

In an absolutely tragic case, two year old Bronson Battersby was found dead in Skegness earlier this week.  His father, Kenny Battersby, was also found dead at the address.  It appears that Kenny died of a heart attack at some point and Bronson died of starvation or dehydration after being trapped in the flat.  Bronson had a social worker, who would visit once a month.  The social worker called at the flat on the 2nd and then again on the 4th but there was no answer and the police were called on both occasions.  Finally on the 9th the landlord opened the flat for social work and the bodies were discovered.  Apparently, the post mortem showed Kenny Battersby died around the 29th of December.

Timeline on the case here - https://news.sky.com/story/bronson-battersby-a-timeline-of-events-leading-up-to-toddlers-death-13050720?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

I don't know the full circumstances and the entire case is awful but I can't imagine having a two year old and not seeing him or checking in on him for a few days, let alone months.  Clearly the mother has experienced a huge tragedy and it's understandable to look for people to blame but I'm not sure social workers can be fully responsible for this.  Knowing a few social workers myself, if they starting kicking in the doors of everyone who missed an appointment, there's going to be a lot of busted doors.

Had she been told to stay away?

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Had she been told to stay away?

One report said that Bronson lived with his dad because his mother had moved to a flat that had a staircase without a bannister, making it unsafe for a two year old.  The reports also said that she hadn't seen Bronson due to a row with his dad.

His dad was 60 years old, had a heart condition and had become jaundiced in recent weeks.  From the sounds of it, he'd had a full life - his daughter said paying tribute that her dad "was born to be wild" and after his death was revealed the flat was burgled and his supply of Tramadol and some cash was stolen.

Edited by ICTChris

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Does anyone know the reasons for him having a social worker?  I haven't seen that anywhere.  I'm assuming that it wasn't because he was at risk of harm or that would probably have come out by now but I'm curious to the reasons the Police were called on the first missed appointment.

The mother won't be alone in looking for people to blame but on the face of it at the moment this seems like a tragic set of events that no-one can be blamed for.

ETA apparently concerns were raised about his wellbeing which might explain why the police were contacted.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bronson-battersby-death-lincolnshire-social-services-b2481422.html

Edited by Left Back

7 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Absolutely tragic story which I can't bear even to think about any more. The adult half sister was on BBC all day but you have to wonder how no one in the close family  checked in over the prolonged period. It'll all come out in the end but it's just horrific thinking about that poor wee boy.

Been pondering this one since I first read about it. 

If the dad has died the same day he last spoke to Social Work to arrange a visit for the following week then the outcome was unavoidable, we can all go off the radar during the proverbial perineum in between Christmas/New Year, however it took too long for them to be found surely?

If it’s not his first heart attack of the year then there should have been alarm bells ringing when he didn’t answer the door, and further alarm bells when they’ve apparently contacted other family members and they’ve not heard from them either; how no party has followed up from there is baffling, surely someone else at least has a key?

Don’t know what Social/Police protocols are for this sort of thing, but if they were followed correctly then they are severely lacking

• 3 weeks later...