Mathematical Milestones 2023/24

2 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Defeat tomorrow for Ross County and they will be out of the title race and also unable to qualify for the champions league. A draw will keep the staggies in the hunt as long as the final two 'old firm' games result in a draw and a 'rangers' win. 

image.jpeg.b920f1dbd589f75fd02ffd2aee1c22e4.jpeg

I watched Real Madrid last week and they were a hundred times better than Ross County. I quit.

24 minutes ago, velo army said:

This is a fucking great thread. Great work @10menwent2mow.

Thanks. I could probably make it a lot easier on myself by setting up a spreadsheet and using formulas but half the fun is spending 15 minutes with a pen and a bit of paper trying to work out what St Johnstone might need to get a top 6 finish. 

1 hour ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Thanks. I could probably make it a lot easier on myself by setting up a spreadsheet and using formulas but half the fun is spending 15 minutes with a pen and a bit of paper trying to work out what St Johnstone might need to get a top 6 finish. 

A miracle?   

Kilmanock's draw at Parkhead meant St Johnstone's title dream survived till this morning

They'll be crying into their beer tonight in Perth after two late penalties sealed a three nil win for Rangers which not only ends St Johnstone's title charge but means they can't even take second place

Motherwell can still catch Celtic on Goal Difference but they can no longer catch Rangers so their search for a second league title goes into it's 93rd year. The League is now an eight horse race

Hearts need one more point to secure top 6 status

39 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Kilmanock's draw at Parkhead meant St Johnstone's title dream survived till this morning

They'll be crying into their beer tonight in Perth after two late penalties sealed a three nil win for Rangers which not only ends St Johnstone's title charge but means they can't even take second place

Motherwell can still catch Celtic on Goal Difference but they can no longer catch Rangers so their search for a second league title goes into it's 93rd year. The League is now an eight horse race

image.jpeg.6714616fe1f412bd10df2d306d3d60c2.jpeg

image.jpeg.7dc896e1facfa95e0124c3feb7e9395e.jpeg

On to this weekend. 

In the title race, it could be down to as few as 4. The only way Hibs and Aberdeen can remain involved is if they win their games against Dundee and Kilmarnock respectively and 'Rangers' lose to Hearts and Celtic lose to Motherwell. This would also require both the remaining "old firm" games to be draws or a celtic win and a draw. 

Dundee and St Mirren could also be eliminated from title contention if they both lose and Celtic and 'Rangers' both win. This would leave the Buddies and the dees able to reach a maximum of 68 points and with two Glasgow derbies left the minimum they could accumulate would be 69. 

Hearts will secure a top 6 spot with a point. Hibs failing to win would also guarantee them a top 6 spot as Aberdeen would be capable of catching them if they beat Killie but would also have to beat Dundee twice to do so which would mean Dundee couldn't catch them. A hibs win and Aberdeen dropping points coupled with a Hearts defeat would mean the top 6 champagne remaining on ice in Gorgie. The good news for Jambos is that they are safe from automatic relegation. Livi can only make it to 52 points and to do so would have to beat both Aberdeen and Hibs which would guarantee Hearts a top 6 berth. A draw in the County v Livi game would make Hearts safe from the playoff as County would only be able to reach a maximum of 50 points if they lost twice to Hibs and Hibs winning every game is a pre-requisite for Hearts finishing bottom 6. 

Livi could become the first team confined to Bottom 6 barracks if they lose to Ross County and Dundee beat Hibs.

Big weekend coming up. 

• 2 weeks later...

We Hearts fans may be miffed at failing to win the derby but we’re now officially in the top 6 and by that we’re also staying up

Livingston can’t catch Dundee so they’re bottom 6 and Aberdeen can catch one of Rangers or Celtic but not both so the Dons title hopes are now dead

4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

We Hearts fans may be miffed at failing to win the derby but we’re now officially in the top 6 and by that we’re also staying up

Livingston can’t catch Dundee so they’re bottom 6 and Aberdeen can catch one of Rangers or Celtic but not both so the Dons title hopes are now dead

image.jpeg.26220f4a90cbb15cd463ae8d595c4952.jpeg

image.jpeg.61e48b25b50ae8f32bcd98c9248544c4.jpeg

image.jpeg.66a28807650a74dfa4069187a5c3959e.jpeg

Poor Dave. Did well when Hearts were in a transitional season. Now kicking every damn (probably bottom six) ball.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Amidst all the excitement I missed that Hibernians failure to win at Tynecastle along with Rangers Comeback against Killie and Celtic's win over Dundee mean that Hibs maximum is now 64 and Dundee can only hit 65. St Mirren can get 69 so can't catch Rangers on 70 , Killie can get 70 but if Rangers lose both old firm games that won't be enough to catch Celtic 

This is now a three horse race 

Although the Champions League 2025 dreams are still alive for Killie and the Buddies
I'll leave @VincentGuerinto provide appropriate photos

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

image.jpeg.f70b86c62cb5d0a4be6750ca83c15d04.jpeg

"But we won the singing".

image.jpeg.62cb06deaddc00ba357adcc2b8cea7a0.jpeg

"The boys are so honest. Such an honest bunch of boys. I asked them if they thought we could win the title, they told me to f**k off. And they've been proved right. An honest, honest bunch of boys Honest. Boys. Boys. Honest."

image.jpeg.58d068e420b798a3939cf75a1809b6c9.jpeg

"I don't want to make excuses, you know I never do that Jane. But that Bojan Miovski penalty has cost us the title."

image.jpeg.9f2eb6c4cb4ffed2389b8578cff2a979.jpeg

"As my favourite writer, Maya Angelou, put it, 'You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats so you can know who you are, know what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it'. Always next year, chaps."

• 2 weeks later...

Aberdeen can now finish no higher than 4th but can still clinch automatic group stage football by way of winning the Scottish Cup. 

On to the weekend. Ross County will be consigned to the bottom 6 if they don't beat Hearts and even if they do, they will still be bottom 6 if Dundee pick up anything against Rangers or Hibs beat Livingston.

Aberdeen will definitely finish in the bottom half if Dundee better Aberdeen's result against Motherwell or if the Dons lose or draw and Hibs win.

St Johnstone will finish bottom half if they draw or lose and Hibs or Dundee win. 

St Mirren can clinch a top 6 finish if they beat Kilmarnock and Hibs lose to Livingston.

• 3 weeks later...

Dundee cannot finish bottom after Livi lost yesterday.

Kilmarnock are assured of top 6 after Hibs defeat on Saturday.

Hibs need a point to avoid finishing bottom - but with a 29 goal swing between them and Livi needed I think we can say they are safe.

PS Can't be arsed working it out but Hibs are safe from bottom in any case because it isn't possible for all 5 teams below them to overhaul them.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Dundee cannot finish bottom after Livi lost yesterday.

Kilmarnock are assured of top 6 after Hibs defeat on Saturday.

Hibs need a point to avoid finishing bottom - but with a 29 goal swing between them and Livi needed I think we can say they are safe.

PS Can't be arsed working it out but Hibs are safe from bottom in any case because it isn't possible for all 5 teams below them to overhaul them.

This certainly isn't true given that County and St Johnstone are only 11 and 10 points behind them just now and both have two pre-split games against clubs who wouldn't affect this equation (both play Killie, while County play Rangers and Saints actually play Hibs). That could make it 5 and 4 points, with both still to play Hibs again post-split. Motherwell and Aberdeen would also definitely be able to finish above them just by winning pre-split games and beating Hibs post-split.

A 29-goal swing isn't really that outlandish when it involves one team winning 7 games and the other losing 7 games - there's a guaranteed 14 goal swing at least, so all it takes is a few slightly heavier victories.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Nae being funny, but that's kinda the whole point of this thread. As it is Hibs are not safe from bottom.

Motherwell could overtake them before the split.

Aberdeen could lose to Livi and beat Dundee pre split, meaning they only had to beat Hibs post split to finish above them. 

St J could be on 34 pre split, beat Hibs post split and then pick up wins against Motherwell or Aberdeen and finish above them. 

County similar, could be on 33 pre split then beat Hibs for 36 and pick up one more win against anyone else to be ahead of Hibs.

Livi obviously need to win all and Hibs lose all 7. So Hibs not safe from 12th yet

Edited by 10menwent2mow

3 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Nae being funny, but that's kinda the whole point of this thread. As it is Hibs are not safe from bottom.

Motherwell could overtake them before the split.

Aberdeen could lose to Livi and beat Dundee pre split, meaning they only had to beat Hibs post split to finish above them. 

St J could be on 34 pre split, beat Hibs post split and then pick up wins against Motherwell or Aberdeen and finish above them. 

County similar, could be on 33 pre split then beat Hibs for 36 and pick up one more win against anyone else to be ahead of Hibs.

Livi obviously need to win all and Hibs lose all 7. So Hibs not safe from 12th yet

IMG_0109.webp