Airdrie v Hearts

30 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Thought we played well though ww did look unusually vulnerable defensively.  Nowt bringing big Frankie back won't sort.  Lots of good performancrs but Nieuwenhof was outstanding

Airdrie play some neat stuff but it was a bit naive trying to outplay us.  I expect Morton will be a lot more direct and physical so probably more of a battle there.  We should still beat them right enough.

We don't really have another way of playing. We have a fairly small team full of technically good players who work hard but can lack physicality and have very little quality out wide, so playing the way that's been successful recently was a better option than trying something completely new in such a big game. It was always going to be a tough ask though. 

As you say, Morton will be a very different proposition. They can play some decent stuff too but will be much more aggressive and direct than Airdrie. 

Well done to Hearts on what was a surprisingly open game, outclassed us, which takes the sting out the defeat to an extent,  I thought the big pitch and surface suited Hearts to a tee.

Also roughly 4.5 k is a helluva good away crowd, who sang and banged that bloody drum for 90 minutes,     to be fair it added to the occasion, and seemed a credit to the club...

Good luck for the rest of the tournament 

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

I didn't think there was too much between the teams in the opening 15-20 but the difference in quality at each end of the park was evident.

It was 3-0 after 20 minutes. 

What were you actually expecting?

33 minutes ago, Mr November said:

We don't really have another way of playing. We have a fairly small team full of technically good players who work hard but can lack physicality and have very little quality out wide, so playing the way that's been successful recently was a better option than trying something completely new in such a big game. It was always going to be a tough ask though. 

As you say, Morton will be a very different proposition. They can play some decent stuff too but will be much more aggressive and direct than Airdrie. 

You're no kidding about them being small, i was expecting Willy Wonka to be in the dugout

Fair play to Airdrie for the way they approached it. Really tried to play good football and made some really good openings.

Ultimately it was a bit naive but sitting back also sees you likely go out, so attacking is much more likely to see a bit joy.

19 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

It was 3-0 after 20 minutes. 

What were you actually expecting?

Not really sure what your point is. Both teams started pretty well going forward and had chances during that time. Airdrie hit the bar and Gordon had a good save from Todorov, Hearts scored three really good goals and were deservedly ahead as a result. That’s what can happen when you’re up against a much better team.

Edited by Mr November

8 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Is this q moan about Aberdeen allocation? 😄

No idea what a "q moan" is, but Hearts are entitled to give away fans as many or as few tickets as they want. Just as Morton are entitled to just give the minimum number of tickets to Hearts fans, within the SFA regulations.

2 hours ago, Hendricks said:

How many tickets are we likely to get? Regardless of it being on the rumoured Friday or Monday evening, this will be a very popular fixture to attend and we will sell circa 5k, if it's possible to give us that many.

If the club don't piss about you should get the wde 3600 and a section of the main stand another 5/600 so just over 4k which again might not cover everyone wanting to go but it's a decent amount. 

14 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

No idea what a "q moan" is, but Hearts are entitled to give away fans as many or as few tickets as they want. Just as Morton are entitled to just give the minimum number of tickets to Hearts fans, within the SFA regulations.

Cool, be pedantic about a spelling mistake. 

Adds a lot to the debate. 

Boring c**t.

18 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Not really sure what your point is. Both teams started pretty well going forward and had chances during that time. Airdrie hit the bar and Gordon had a good save from Todorov, Hearts scored three really good goals and were deservedly ahead as a result. That’s what can happen when you’re up against a much better team.

My point was you said you never seen much between the teams on the first 15-20. It was 3-0.

Baningime gives me the fear. Motherwell had no answer to our high press but I do worry that he gives them an outball that will allow Hearts to zip it through and around the front 4 and dominate possession.

Could be a long night but buzzing for it all the same

14 hours ago, diamond_for_life said:

Can’t be too disheartened by that.

Full credit to Hearts who look a real quality side. Barely wasted a pass all came. So crisp in possession. That first goal was a thing of beauty and watching Shankland’s movement for it was brilliant. 

I felt 3-1 seemed unfair for what we put into the first half but second half Hearts well in control and we couldn’t wrestle any dominance in the game for any sustained period of time. 

That looks like some gulf in class compared to St Johnstone who we controlled quite comfortably in the last round. Bit of an eye opener of just how good sides can be in the top flight. 

Also credit to the Hearts fans we can only dream of attendances and atmospheres like that and watching those fans behind the goals was also quality. Loved watching them. 

Shite to be out the cup but nothing but plaudits for my side and well done Hearts you have a cracking side. Good luck for the rest of the season. 

Without sound patronising, I think you can be very proud of your team today. Very easy on the eye, good young players who are only going to improve.

Your manager has a philosophy and he's determined that playing that way will bring you success. I agree with him. There will be bumps in the road, but if you stick with it and allow your team and club to grow you'll be in the top flight soon; maybe even next season?

Good luck for the rest of the league campaign, and I'll be cheering on Airdrie in your Challenge Cup Final against TNS

Absolutely no complaints about the game/result/outcome etc.

Thought it was a decent event, and apart from being worlds apart in terms of finishing, I thought we handled ourselves not too terribly.

Hearts had the cigars out the last 15 and we were just chasing shadows, but that's what to expect when you come up against the 3rd best side in the country.  If Hancocks header goes in at 1-0 then obviously that gets the crowd back up, but Hearst ran right up the other end and scored, the 3rd just took any breath out the Airdrie crowd that was left, and that was that.

Again, as I said, beaten fair and square by the better side, both teams made that very very easy for the referee as well, the focus more on playing decent football than trying to get physical, so credit to both sides for that.  Naismiths a very exciting young manager, and he appears to be handling himself very well in the media (from what I see anyway).

Finally, credit to the jambos fans that came in their droves, sang for 90 mins and backed their team.  Nice to have a big night again at Broomfield.