Airdrie v Hearts

Just now, diamond_for_life said:

Good luck mate but we thought that too. Need to get at them which I’m sure you can. Give them time and they are lethal 

As neat and tidy Airdrie were I thought you lacked real aggression.. maybe Hearts just didn't let you get near them but I'd like to think we'll get right on top of them from the first minute.  Airdrie by no means played badly either.  Shankland missing for any reason would be very helpful.

18 minutes ago, Venti said:

Hearts are gonnae pump us aren't they?

We'll definitely go into the game very much as underdogs, but we've nothing to lose and whatever the outcome, the payday will be a decent one. Couldn't help noticing how quiet and flat the crowd seemed a lot of the time. Compare that with the Cappielow atmosphere for the Motherwell game, I couldn't hear myself think. I think that Morton away is going to be a very different proposition for Hearts, despite their undeniable poise, class, and quality. We'll be snapping at their heels from the get-go - they'll bring a fantastic travelling support and the atmosphere will undoubtedly be tremendous once again. My glimmer of hope is that it's not so very long ago since they struggled to a 2-1 over Spartans. All it takes is another sub-par performance like that and we'll cappielowtise on it. See what I did there?

Fair play to Airdrie - yous battled well and didn't drop your heads at 3-0. Some of those Hearts goals were absolute peaches.

Edited by Chippyminton

15 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

No.  I think we'll push them all the way.   Obviously they're strong favourites but we'll make it hell for them in Greenock.  Amazingly in the 35 years I've been following Morton we've never drawn the Jambos in a cup or shared a league.  Kind of wish it had been Tynecastle tho home advantage is obviously more beneficial to us.

We obviously shared a league with them 2020/21, we just couldn't go.

46 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

No.  I think we'll push them all the way.   Obviously they're strong favourites but we'll make it hell for them in Greenock.  Amazingly in the 35 years I've been following Morton we've never drawn the Jambos in a cup or shared a league.  Kind of wish it had been Tynecastle tho home advantage is obviously more beneficial to us.

How many tickets are we likely to get? Regardless of it being on the rumoured Friday or Monday evening, this will be a very popular fixture to attend and we will sell circa 5k, if it's possible to give us that many.

3 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

How many tickets are we likely to get? Regardless of it being on the rumoured Friday or Monday evening, this will be a very popular fixture to attend and we will sell circa 5k, if it's possible to give us that many.

3000ish max

3 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Oh wow! Going to be a major scrabble for them then, that's nowhere close to meeting demand. 

There was a bit of a late-on stramash regarding the maximum available capacity for the Motherwell game. I know we lost a fair bit because of the BBC gantries taking up so much space, but I'm hoping that the lessons learned from the Motherwell game will help fix it. Will undoubtedly be a tough game for us. Looking forward to it.

I thought we played fairly well there, just up against a much better team. We've played a lot of top flight teams recently, admittedly mostly earlier in the season in the League Cup, but that Hearts team are the best I've seen come to Airdrie in a long time. I didn't think there was too much between the teams in the opening 15-20 but the difference in quality at each end of the park was evident. Airdrie are a good technical side in the Championship but the  speed Hearts moved the ball was ridiculous, it felt like they always had a man in space. Shankland will take the headlines but I thought Baningime and Nieuwenhof ran the game, so composed on the ball and we rarely got near them, the latter in particular was the best player on the park. A good learning experience for our younger players for what it takes to play at a higher level. It's been a decent cup run for us though and the club have hopefully made a fair bit of money from it, so can't complain.

59 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

As neat and tidy Airdrie were I thought you lacked real aggression.. maybe Hearts just didn't let you get near them but I'd like to think we'll get right on top of them from the first minute.  Airdrie by no means played badly either.  Shankland missing for any reason would be very helpful.

Aye we're destined never to get a trip to Tynecastle.

They have been relegated twice in recent history - the first time we contrived to get relegated so we weren't in the Championship when they came down, the 2nd bloody covid.

Glad this one's at Scappa though.

23 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Motherwell were given 3k and sold 2k.

We might stretch to 3.5k for you but that's yer lot.

7 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Fair play. Going to be a packed house then! We had 4300 today and the Morton game will be more popular. 

Edited by Hendricks

30 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Oh wow! Going to be a major scrabble for them then, that's nowhere close to meeting demand. 

9 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Yeah, I imagine the club will probably give them about 3000 for the WDE and about 5 or 600 for the main stand. 

There's not any scope for any more away fans than that, especially with the cameras that'll likely be in the Cowshed again. 

1 hour ago, LargsTON said:

I remember watching a cup tie on the TV at cappielow when I was wee, possibly against celtic. Big terrace behind the goal and folk watching from trees nearby.  Always wanted to give with Hearts but never had the chance until now!

I thought Hearts were excellent today. I was never too concerned as I know Airdrie play nice football,  thus Hearts team do aswell so was confident with better quality it'd be relatively straightforward. If it was a last year or Airdrie were a bit more direct it mightve been more difficult. 

Thought the hoff and Beni were excellent.  Tbh I thought everyone in maroon passed it well today.

Airdrie are obviously a bit lacking up front but what an enjoyable team to watch. The passing out from the back was brilliant at times. Found myself applauding it. Credit to them, if that was my team I'd be happy with them, just came up against better players today. 

Good crowd and hopefully a wee cash boost for Airdrie.  Bit of a shambles getting in our end but if they aren't used to bigger crowds I can understand it.

Thought we played well though ww did look unusually vulnerable defensively.  Nowt bringing big Frankie back won't sort.  Lots of good performancrs but Nieuwenhof was outstanding

Airdrie play some neat stuff but it was a bit naive trying to outplay us.  I expect Morton will be a lot more direct and physical so probably more of a battle there.  We should still beat them right enough.