4 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Therfore why would it be referred to VAR when the referee had a clear view of it and made his decision that he was making himself unnaturally bigger?

As said the handball rules is an absolute shambles and needs to be reviewed. 

Because while it is subjective, I find it is hard for anyone to argue in this particular instance that the arm was in an unnatural position.

Edited by AJF

Thoroughly enjoyed the game despite the loss, as others have said Shankland was the difference but the penalty decision was without a doubt a game changer. Ashcroft has done really well since coming back into the side but the absence of Portales, Lamie and Donnelly through injury has definitely cost us dearly recently. If we can get these guys back quickly I'm sure we'll start getting more points on board.

I think the Doc is doing an excellent job, only criticism yesterday was I thought he should have brought on Main for big Baka with 15 to go. Apart from the fact he was on a yellow I think the fresher legs would have got us further up the park. Delighted to see Cameron get the whole 90 minutes yesterday, the wee man is a joy to watch

Screenshot_20240204_123132_X.thumb.jpg.3ec2b37445d699432551e37023594a31.jpgHis hand is out beyond his knee. It's clearly making his frame bigger, plus once the ref gives it VAR had to be certain it's a mistake to overturn it, which ti obviously wasn't.

The current handball rule is shite, but that's a penalty every day currently. 

10 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Screenshot_20240204_123132_X.thumb.jpg.3ec2b37445d699432551e37023594a31.jpgHis hand is out beyond his knee. It's clearly making his frame bigger, plus once the ref gives it VAR had to be certain it's a mistake to overturn it, which ti obviously wasn't.

I think this still frame has convinced me even more that his arm is in a perfectly natural position. Take into account the point blank distance it has been fired at him from, then it’s a poor decision IMO.

20 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Just here to give my opinion on the penalty.

IMHO, if someone stops a goalwards bound shot in the box with their hand or arm, then it's a penalty. That's regardless of intent or whether the hand is in an unnatural position. It's about preventing a goal from being scored.

The ball striking a goal bound shot disregarding intent cannot be the only criteria for it being a penalty. Otherwise attackers would win penalties if they just decide to hit the ball off an arm and the ball is vaguely going towards goal.

9 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

But that's one still frame from a body movement.

Also look at the distance between the Hearts strikers boot, the ball and his hand. No way could he move his hands out the road quick enough. 

Should've been looked at at least.

11 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

I get what you’re saying. And I can’t really disagree with respect to that seems to be the rule. But if you watch the video, he’s turned away and pulled his hands in. Shankland has blasted it from a yard away. It’s ridiculous. The shot is going straight to Carson. Now obviously there’s an argument that he may spill it into the goal or back out to a player, but I just find it ludicrous. Players have hands and arms, and for me, if it’s not deliberate and not unnatural then it shouldn’t be a penalty. 

Anyway, it’s done. Shankland was immense. I probably haven’t given him much credit for how good technically he is. He’s a real all rounder. f**k knows what happened in Belgium because he should be playing for a bigger club, no disrespect as Hearts are a massive club in Scotland too. 

As ever with the handball calls these days, giving a penalty can be argued either way under the current laws.  To me there needs to be much more emphasis on a penalty only getting given when it's a clear, deliberate action which I don't think that is at all.  Very harsh and we've all been on the end of these things where the punushment very much outweighs the crime.

It wasn't as bad as the one Collum gave yesterday right enough

4 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I think going back two seasons to counter my argument is a bit of a stretch.

Also to Darren’s point, you’ll know better than me on this, but how many of Shankland’s goals are created by a crucial assist? When I think of his goals I think of many of them being wondergoals out of nothing or self made goals (like todays two for example).

Anyway, it’s only my opinion lads. I’m not stating it as a fact. I might be wrong and I guess unless Shankland was to get a long term injury (which I hope from a Scotland perspective he doesn’t) then we’ll never know which of us is right. 

Hearts play with one central striker. That's Shankland. Therefore the team is set up to create chances for him, primarily.

Unlike under Neilson, who thought it was a good idea to play him as a number 10 after he'd scored around 20 goals in the first half of the season as a 9.

2 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Would probably work better to chop him off at the knees, tbh.

A bit of effort has went into this for zero reward. Be better.

You talking about the meme or Dundee's effort to win the game?

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

But that's one still frame from a body movement.

Also look at the distance between the Hearts strikers boot, the ball and his hand. No way could he move his hands out the road quick enough. 

Should've been looked at at least.

It will have been looked at, every major decision is. And I'm not saying I particularly want that to be a penalty, the rules are shite, but in the current game if the ref gives that, he's not being told he's got it obviously wrong.

As said elsewhere,  I think the rule should be changed to take deliberate actions into account.

13 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The current interpretation of penalty for handball is ludicrous. 

It is based on zero common sense.

Just sounds like the referees in general.

Handball could and should be very simple.

Did the player, in the opinion of the referee, deliberately handle the ball?

If yes, direct free-kick or a penalty if in the box, and a yellow card, or a red if it prevented a goal or a clear opportunity.

If no, get on with the fucking game.

The penalty undoubtedly changed the game.

However, we have only ourselves to blame for for not taking our chances. We had 3 clear opportunities to stretch our lead at 1-0 and 2-1 but Ashcroft, Dodgson and Robinson (the worst) all blew them.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The penalty undoubtedly changed the game.

However, we have only ourselves to blame for for not taking our chances. We had 3 clear opportunities to stretch our lead at 1-0 and 2-1 but Ashcroft, Hodgson and Robinson (the worst) all blew them.

While this is true, we also created some very clear chances as well. Us not being clinical was as much an issue for us as it was Dundee.