East Fife -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 10 February 2024)

The biggest game in League 2 this weekend sees East Fife welcoming Stenhousemuir to Bayview. The Fifers are toiling in mid-table and are separated by 30 points from the league leaders. The previous two meetings between the sides this season have been close - Stenny were 2-0 victors in the Kingdom in August and although they won 2-1 in December, East Fife were unfortunate not to have taken a point. Since then, East Fife have only played well in fits and starts and there are serious questions about Greig McDonald's future; Stenny, meanwhile, have continued to ascend and appear to be in a superb position at the top of the table.

Gary Naysmith has a selection headache for this match, but in a good way. For the first time this season, he has a full complement of players to pick from. Nicky Jamieson is available after injury and Nat Wedderburn has completed his suspension. Jamieson should come straight back into defence in place of Edin Lynch, with Ross Meechan moving over to right-back, but I think Kyle Jacobs deserves to continue in central midfield. I thought he played well against Dumbarton and the jersey should be his for the time being. Further forward, Matty Yates should be restored to the starting XI, with Bradley Rodden dropping back to the bench. Adam Brown's on thin ice at the moment - although his delivery from dead balls is outstanding, he's not really giving us anything from open play and Ross Taylor could easily step up in his place.

I'd go with:

- Matt Aitken -

- Euan O'Reilly - Matty Yates - Adam Brown -

- Mikey Anderson - Kyle Jacobs -

- Kinlay Bilham - Nicky Jamieson - Gregor Buchanan - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

I'm expecting another close game here but I'd fancy Stenny's chances for a win. I we play well and take the opposition seriously, we'll get three points here. It's really that simple! I'll see you there!

Yates and Taylor definitely should both return to the starting line up, after having such an impact yesterday. 

The game was dull, pedestrian like and boring before they came on. 

Edited by Broxi Bears

I am glad this will be the last time I give these cowboys £18 to enter their shack for a couple of years.

It could be longer if you look at the trajectory of both clubs, East Fife strike me as a club sleep walking into the Lowland League in the near future unless they properly gut the club.

I am looking forward to this one. The champions elect, for the first time this season, will have a fully fit 19 man squad to choose from. Nat, Nicky, Matty and Ross to start for me but whoever takes the field will have to be at it as we have some real quality waiting in the wings if they aren't.

I'll go 2-0 Wawaz. A double from Matty Yates and a 4 yard pearler from Matty Aitken.

East Fife always seem to give us a close contested game, this will be another but we should have more than enough to come away with 3 points. Agree with Neilly, would be good to see Taylor, Yates, Wedderburn and Jamieson restored to the first 11. 

Ideally, it would be good to be in a comfortable place during the match, where players like Kirkpatrick and Stirling could get on and get 20 or so minutes.

East Fife Football Club wishes to advise that manager Greig McDonald has tendered his resignation which has been accepted by the board of directors.

The club would like to place on record its thanks to Greig for his services over the last 18 months and wishes him well for the future.

The board of directors are now actively pursuing a new 1st team manager and hope to be able make announcement at the earliest opportunity.

Edited by Broxi Bears

The  appointment  of Dick Campbell and his team should give this game a  lot  more interest than was anticipated.

A few East  Fife  fans have spotted our new manager  at  our home games recently,  and that hes had a few  training sessions with the players i doubt he will make wholesale changes between the  names Fleming  & Austin !

The heart says if we can get  the first  goal it  could be  a good afternoon for us, the  head  says  Stenhousemuir victorius.

2 hours ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

What's up with Bucky and Taylor? Not made the team sheet. 

Both injured. Bucky will be back next week and Ross probably the week after I believe.

Good point for us today in the end considering the other results and that was probably the correct result.

We were well on top in the second half without creating enough chances to justify the three points. Our fitness really showed in that second half I felt we ran over the top of their midfield but unfortunately our flair players just weren't on it today as they usually are.

East Fife were similar in the first half they probably had the better of it without creating enough. Really lovely goal with the slide rule pass and finish by Austin.

A real moment of quality but from there on Austin just wanted to act like a big fanny which was to the detriment of his team. Pushing the head into Bilham among 3 or 4 embarrassing dives he was lucky to still be on the park by the end. 

Meechan and Jamieson were first class today, Meechs deserves a lot of praise since he's came back into the team he's been a real leader for us.

Kinlay Bilham had another solid afternoon but further forward we just didn't click.

Aitken baffled away all day to his credit but we just couldn't get enough bodies or quality in and around him.

12 games to go. We keep pushing.

The draw was the correct result. We dominated  the 1st  half possession  wise  and deservedly equalised while Stenny were better in the 2nd and seemed much  fitter  than us as the game came to  a close.

Much  more heart  and fight in the team  today  and was interesting to  see Paul Thomson in the dug-out. Presumably he stayed on for   an  extra game to help the  new team out which  is  to his credit. Two weak links today were Schiavone  & Shepherd who  both  contributed very little.

Shout out   to the referee who  was awful for  both teams  and  the stand-side  linesman who was clueless.

Just now, Beachcomber said:

The draw was the correct result. We dominated  the 1st  half possession  wise  and deservedly equalised while Stenny were better in the 2nd and seemed much  fitter  than us as the game came to  a close.

Much  more heart  and fight in the team  today  and was interesting to  see Paul Thomson in the dug-out. Presumably he stayed on for   an  extra game to help the  new team out which  is  to his credit. Two weak links today were Schiavone  & Shepherd who  both  contributed very little.

Shout out   to the referee who  was awful for  both teams  and  the stand-side  linesman who was clueless.

I forgot about the officials. Absolutely atrocious for both teams. 

All three officials completely out of their depth and no understanding of the game. It really does get worse every week to the point you can only laugh about it.

It was a pretty horrid spectacle which has been summed up above. 

Only piece of quality play was the East Fife goal rest of the time, the ball was punted as high as I have ever seen a ball go.

Draw was the right result. Was great to have Jamieson back, and I thought Ross Meechan had a really good game covering for Buchanan. 

And I think I asked this on another match thread, but when did diving stop being a yellow card? Twice Austin went down right under the nose of the referee.

And bizarrely, despite it all we extended our lead at the top. It’s a mad world.

Officials killed east fife Christ even fash got booked for a stenny defender jumping on him. Deary me and because of that a draw was fair.

Stenny goal was definitely a goal kick to east fife than a corner but that comes back to official been our their depth.

I think I gave up in second half at how many times a player went down it was a free kick that was like comical.

Though still think stenny will win this league this season it's all about staying up and getting a team in to be alot better in the standings.