Greenock Morton v Heart of Midlothian

33 minutes ago, #Gary said:

What in the name of f**k was Robbie Muirhead doing for their goal? Weak, half arsed, then throwing himself to the deck for no reason at all.

Other than, a great performance from the team and we ran them closer than I expected us to. Hopefully we can carry that into the league and secure a playoff spot.

Muirhead incensed me and all the boys I stand with.  He sold the jerseys for that goal and put in a pitiful performance when we needed him to step up to the plate.  Why VT has red dotted you I've no idea.

We did about as well as could be expected without key attacking players. Our organisation as a team was excellent, but Hearts created the better of the limited chances in the game. Strapp playing as an auxiliary forward contesting high balls in the second half was a good tweak and brought us our best spell of the match - he also did everything right with the chance but wasn't enough to beat Gordon.

For the goal, Muirhead needs to put a ball down the channel to play the percentages. If it results in a throw-in either way or even a goal kick, we're heading to ET either way. You can't play the ball into the centre of the park casually and expect to get away with it - though a cynical booking from others could have shut it down too. So much for the hammer-thrower narrative: our play is actually too naive in critical moments. 

For us to exit both cups by a single goal margin at Ibrox and a SC QF to Hearts is an excellent showing. The team should take huge confidence from that if we can make the playoffs, as we're very much the opposite of some flaky midtable team that gets rolled over by higher quality opponents. 

2 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

Muirhead incensed me and all the boys I stand with.  He sold the jerseys for that goal and put in a pitiful performance when we needed him to step up to the plate.  Why VT has red dotted you I've no idea.

Have to disagree here. The Hearts boy picks the ball up and powers past all our midfielders and drops the ball to Shankland who has nobody within miles of him because Broadfoot has tried to step into the middle of the park. Absolutely not Robbie’s fault. For me the big fella put in a shift tonight and was clearly carrying an injury towards the end. Hopefully he’s just done in and it’s nothing more or we’ll be starting with one of Garrity, Crawford, Bearne or McGrattan through the middle on Saturday which is equally a massive game as tonight was in terms of the season. 

6 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

Calm down mate and be proud of your team. Look at the cretin's profile pic. That's actually him. He's only on here roasting alone in his scheme bedsit because he can't pull a lassie and he couldn't afford to go to the game like a proper Hearts supporter.

Are Morton fans always this easily riled? :lol: I will inform Mrs SEETHING of your disparaging comments about our overpriced but sprawling Edinburgh pile. 

re. the Hearts goal - why didn't any of the Morton players kick Baningime into next week as he was striding through the centre of the pitch? For a team so well-versed in the Dark Arts that seemed like a real missed opportunity. 

5 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

Muirhead was okay tonight and in no way 'sold the jerseys'. He made the wrong decision 70 yards from goal - so did several other players afterwards. His decision-making was likely affected by the fact that he was blowing out of his arse, which is a result of the hee-haw attacking options we had to replace him too. 

It's ridiculous scapegoating to call that 'lazy' after 85-odd minutes that was anything but. You can fairly criticise the impact of his forward play - against a superior Hearts defence of course - but criticising the effort put in by anyone on the park tonight is bollocks. 

8 minutes ago, SEETHING said:

Are Morton Hearts fans always this easily riled? :lol:

FTFY.

Dish it out, pal. But learn to take it as well. Don't be a Greyfriars Jobby.

Congrats on the win, all the best for the semis.

Edited by Chippyminton

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Muirhead was okay tonight and in no way 'sold the jerseys'. He made the wrong decision 70 yards from goal - so did several other players afterwards. His decision-making was likely affected by the fact that he was blowing out of his arse, which is a result of the hee-haw attacking options we had to replace him too. 

It's ridiculous scapegoating to call that 'lazy' after 85-odd minutes that was anything but. You can fairly criticise the impact of his forward play - against a superior Hearts defence of course - but criticising the effort put in by anyone on the park tonight is bollocks. 

Maybe you're right.   I just thought his performance was half arsed all night.  

Muirhead ran himself in to the ground for 60-70 minutes and would have been taken off along with a couple of others who had done the same if we had the choice. Imrie has mentioned that a few are playing through injuries and  he doesn't look fully fit to me. Even the way he is striking his free kicks the last few games are so much weaker than some of the 40 yard thunderblasts we've seen over the years. He's the easy target because he's not a high pressing machine but every single game he is running like crazy for the team this season, so much so that he's probably tired when he actually gets the ball. 

There are multiple points during the goal that it can be stopped so I'm not having any talk of Muirhead costing us it. I thought he did an admirable job in the Oakley role when it's so far from his natural game. 

6 minutes ago, SEETHING said:

Are Morton fans always this easily riled? :lol: I will inform Mrs SEETHING of your disparaging comments about our overpriced but sprawling Edinburgh pile. 

re. the Hearts goal - why didn't any of the Morton players kick Baningime into next week as he was striding through the centre of the pitch? For a team so well-versed in the Dark Arts that seemed like a real missed opportunity. 

Tell me your a Tory without telling me your a Tory

Just now, LargsTON said:

Maybe you're right.   I just thought his performance was half arsed all night.  

His performance against Inverness was certainly half-arsed; I think he did as best as could be expected in a thankless lone forward task tonight. 

First half was keech. Thought we came out well in the second half and rattled Hearts but they were the only team likely to score in the last 15. Thought the big centre half for them looked silky and Power worked his arse off. Shankland might be a w****r but he'll be getting my full support in Germany.  Always good to see cappielow rocking on a cold winters night .

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

His performance against Inverness was certainly half-arsed; I think he did as best as could be expected in a thankless lone forward task tonight. 

I think the fact we were in a decent attacking position when he decided to throw himself to the ground which ultimately led to the Hearts winner maybe undermined an otherwise adequate performance

Edited by LargsTON

Only complaint tonight was the nature of the goal that won it: an absolute shiter that could have been prevented at no less than four separate points.

Apart from that, we were set up right, competed well, but had no real forward options when Muirhead ran out of gas.

Time to get a contract for another year in front of Power btw: Actual Football Player.

Ah well. Enjoyed the atmosphere.

Good effort from the team but in truth it's hard to argue with the result. If we were going to score it would have to have been through a clever set-piece or an error.

Thought our defence kept them quiet most of the time but we did definitely tire. We were planning the subs before the goal went in but didn't the the break in play to do so. Funny to see the Wage Thief getting booked right in front of the Cowshed

Back to league business.

39 minutes ago, SEETHING said:

@Chippyminton pretending he's not getting wound up. 🤭

Fuckinng gutted in Lanzarote 

Had to endure Chelsea game and Ton updates.

Fu#k thought this was a free week and Ayr way,  which I enjoy.

When done to everyone in the team a great performance when missing important players. 

Look let's get real, a payoff spot is a great achievement to let's rock from Saturday.

Lost in LC at Ibrox , shit led led after 55 mins.

Got to 1/4 finals of Scottish cup.

A great season , let's go top 4 spot.

Edited by Paisley Ton
Improvement

2 hours ago, SEETHING said:

Never in doubt. Not for a fraction of a split-second were the Good Guys (Hearts) in danger of anything other than a comfortable victory.

What an embarrassment Morton are. Chucking themselves to the floor at every opportunity, praying for throw-ins to fling aimlessly towards their cast of lumbering oafs in the box. Hopefully they can be retrospectively ejected from the Scottish Cup for sullying it with their odious presence. DELIGHTED that I can once again forget that they exist.

What a fanny.

Sorry probably never encountered one.

Thanks for the real hearts supporters who made it a great night.