Livi vs St. Mirren - 17th Feb

Massive game for both sides on Saturday. 

We've been playing well post winter break with a lot of energy and high pressing and even yesterday, can count ourselves unlucky not to have forced more of an issue vs Celtic.

Livi looked dead and gone on Saturday but showed real signs of life. The sort of thing that can spark a team on. Their match reports of late have also been reading like a lot of hard luck stories and hopefully that luck won't turn on Saturday.

We will welcome back Kwon. O'Hara and Strain are also in more advanced stages of rehab on injuries and also could be back to near match fitness as well but almost certainly would not be risked on the artifical surface if they were.

Always nervy away to Livi, we never play well there but with no disrespect intended, we have to find our way to 3 points on Saturday if we genuinely do feel we can go on to a top 4 finish this season.

Would love a comprehensive away win  but since that never works out at Almondvale that way for us, I'll settle for a scrappy 1-0 win and up the road with another game ticked off.

39 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Hopefully we can build on our cup win and get 3pts here to set us up nicely for County away.

My main concern is the injuries. Saints are never an easy game so we really need the best squad available

Both games against Livingston have been close, so I expect it to be the same. Any kind of win would be a great result.

I wonder if Kwon will come back into the starting line up. I'd be happy enough with either him or Baccus in the middle of the park.

26 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Both games against Livingston have been close, so I expect it to be the same. Any kind of win would be a great result.

I wonder if Kwon will come back into the starting line up. I'd be happy enough with either him or Baccus in the middle of the park.

TBH I'd go with Baccus, Kwon and CBM in midfield.

I felt that, at times, the opposition was getting way too much space due to their superiority on numbers in there.

That would mean two up top, but with CBM pushed a bit further forward it might work.

I just think both Baccus and Kwon are too good to leave one of them on the bench, but CBM has been great too and doesn't deserve to be dropped.

Although, having said that, I doubt Robbo will change his system.

I don't do away games these days but I am attending this game and looking forward to a good day out. Tough venue add Livie positivity within the dressing room after the Thistle win Saints will need to be at their best. 

I’m going to this game and I think we might have a right good support heading through.

Massive game for us as we need to find a way to win and keep the pressure on Killie. 

Livi got a good result in the cup so they will be confident on their own patch of plastic grass. 
Kwon back in for me as a starter and I agree with FTOF we should play all 3 Kwon Baccus and CBM.

Most of us don't hold much, if any, hope of beating the drop but for it to be even remotely possible we have to start winning. We were god awful before the winter break and have improved since but we've still not won a league game. 

I don't care how we set up or how we play but wins have to start coming.

Parallels to Killie here, I think:

both teams relatively high-flying; and we’ve had tight games against them previously

- Killie 0-0 (after we missed a late pen) and losing 1-0 in last minute; and

- St Mirren 1-1 conceding 96th minute equaliser and losing 1-0 with an OG.

Based on this, I think this could be a step too far for us as I don’t think our defence is switched on or attack clinical enough (but I do think we will improve in at least one of these this season). 

As has been stated, the loss of Donellan and Pittman at weekend is a concern and would be a kick in the nuts as we try to salvage our season. 

Edited by crispy

My confidence for this is purely dependant on Penrice and Donnellan's fitness. If we start a back 4 of: Brandon, Donnellan, Obileye, Penrice, then I'll be happy. However it's very possible we end up needing to switch out Donnellan for Nottingham and Penrice for Sangare, which would make me much less happy. Nottingham is fine if he's at right back I think, so that's still an option if Penrice is out but Donnellan is fit with Brandon playing on the left.

The last couple of performances have definitely been encouraging, and the fight back against Partick (let's ignore how we found ourselves in that position in the first place) was great with the feeling in the stand at the end being very similar to when we turned our form around to survive in the Championship back in 2015, so hopefully we can kick on for the same outcome (survival, not the Championship).

Bit of a weird situation in midfield for me, Shinnie is clearly a great player and made a huge difference coming on at Firhill, but I'm not sure if you drop Holt and Carson has been impressive since he signed, which would leave Shinnie as either the attacking midfielder or as an option bench; would be quite harsh after how good he was but I'd probably have him on the bench again. Think Yengi did enough to keep his place and when Nouble and Brandon were on the same side they looked very good going forward.

George

Brandon  -  Donnellan  -  Obileye  -  Penrice

Holt  -  Carson

Nouble  -  Kelly  -  MacKay

Yengi

All set up perfectly for Martindale to play a 3-6-1 with McGovern in goals and Nouble at centre back.

Heart says a battling 2-1 win, head can't see past more heartbreak and a late St Mirren goal.

Aye no matter who plays in defence we're susceptible to conceding 'soft goals', but Nottingham as a CB, and McGovern in goals gives me the absolute fear, think i'd need a few double whiskies pre match in the AS if i see those 2 on the team sheet, just to calm my nerves before going into the stadium. McGovern is so slow going down to save a low shot, anything hit at him goes flying into our net.

Nottingham has actually got a bit of pace about him, outside the box he looks fine, over as a RB/RWB, notice he sped back catching up with the Thistle player that cracked the cross bar, fair enough he didn't block the shot but the boy had a 5 yard start on him and he caught up with him. Which is also why he's not much use in a central defensive position, much better going forward in attack than defending.

1 hour ago, Troy.1995 said:

Bit early in the week for this thread I reckon.Come back in 5 days.Too early🤷‍♂️.

Haha, but I’ve already seen more interest here than in some entire pre-match periods - amazing what a few goals can do 😂

The post match celebrations between the layers and the fans on Saturday seemed pretty highly charged. The desire is there; we've just got to stop giving other sides a couple of goals head-start. If we were to try that with St Mirren then they'd probably totally close up and we wouldn't get a chance.

As previously mentioned it really depends on who's fit and available. Our attack on Saturday was good but St Mirren are a different kettle of fish; their defence is a lot more savvy for a start and potentially can match us for height in the box.

Defence wise; well on Saturday needless to say I'll be drinking from my lucky cup; carrying my lucky rabbits foot (although I don't think it was that lucky for the rabbit); avoiding black cats and ladders - anyone got a spare shamrock?