28 minutes ago, Brummo said:

Looking forward to this one. Should be a cracker as the Mo attempt to wrestle a win over Cove which has so far eluded them in the league.

C.O.Y.M.

Can see you winning it we've not been great recently but we've been good against you in the league so hopefully that continues reckon it'll be a close one.

This one feels quite important. Definitely anxious but similarly looking forward to it.

Montrose are undoubtedly the favourites for me, 5 wins in 6 and free scoring with 17 goals in that run. Petrie must be applauded for yet another season when he's got the Mighty Mo fighting it out for a playoff spot. Not just fighting for a spot but if they make it will have a genuine chance of being competitive. Sure many Mo would have liked another couple added in January, at the very least cover for Masson and a replacement for Miller.

For us, well we have Fyvie back,  and since his return we've won both games and his record this season is played 10, won 7 and drawn 3, 24 points. 5 clean sheets. Without Fyvie Played 16, won 4, drawn 4, lost 8, 16 points. 1 clean sheet.

Saying that the last 2 games we've still shown weakness and are very gettable at the back. Rumarn is 2 in 9 in all competitions so definitely a lull we can ill afford.

Blair Yule misses out tomorrow night against Falkirk, unsure if he will be back for Saturday.

If there's a winner here it's Montrose I feel. I wouldn't be disheartened with a draw after a tough mid-week game where we'll need to dig very deep to get close to a point.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

On 04/03/2024 at 18:59, CoveRangers1922 said:

Blair Yule misses out tomorrow night against Falkirk, unsure if he will be back for Saturday.

Seen we have a few last minute decisions for tomorrow as well as Yule think Burrell might be one of them (could be completely wrong - and I was) never usually gets subbed and got subbed against Edinburgh hopefully he's back for this game think him and Mitch link up well.

Edited by covefan97

Hoping for a reaction after tonight's performance but do I think we'll see it? Probably not. Montrose should be confident going into this but we'll see what happens now. Still think it'll be close.

2 hours ago, covefan97 said:

Just seen the team news on the cove preview Blair Yule is still out but other than that Hartley has a full squad to choose from

Blair missing again is a blow. We've been playing him out of position of all season, stuck out on the right when he's not a natural winger. Saying that we're stronger with him as Darge and/or Sena, although physical, couldn't pass it the length of themselves. 

I suspect we'll lineup almost the same as Tuesday although we'll open up and be more adventurous. My only change would be bringing in Connell for Darge. Important Connell tracks back and does the hard graft too.

I'd have Gallagher over Sena any day, former has ability on the ball, however, he's not with us. I'd also liked to have seen Golidng up top alongside Rumarn for spells (as a sub probably) but that's a moot point.

covmo.png

47 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Blair missing again is a blow. We've been playing him out of position of all season, stuck out on the right when he's not a natural winger. Saying that we're stronger with him as Darge and/or Sena, although physical, couldn't pass it the length of themselves. 

I suspect we'll lineup almost the same as Tuesday although we'll open up and be more adventurous. My only change would be bringing in Connell for Darge. Important Connell tracks back and does the hard graft too.

I'd have Gallagher over Sena any day, former has ability on the ball, however, he's not with us. I'd also liked to have seen Golidng up top alongside Rumarn for spells (as a sub probably) but that's a moot point.

covmo.png

I agree with that although would be harsh dropping Darge as I think he's been very good last 2 games but I understand why you think that would work could be any of the centre halfs for Connell imo

Perhaps I’m seeing it from a different perspective but in the last month or so Darge now almost resembles a footballer and perhaps may even show why he was thought of so highly just a few years ago at U16/U18 levels where future Scottish international was being talked about. Not that it says a great deal but allegedly he was the only signing of the summer we actually scouted and identified that wanted to come here. I’m not saying he is doing well at this level but there are some scant signs of improvement. Similarly Sena also has been better and although will never be a finished article is strong on the tackle and can break up play. He just needs to keep it simple and not get carried away.

It won’t happen but I would drop Mitch today and put Connell in his place, that won’t happen either but I suspect it will happen at some point soon anyway. 

Yeah Montrose are on a good run and have good players but I’m of a mind like us when you strip it back they are highly reliant on 4-5 players and the rest is a lottery. We are very quick to be down but the table doesn’t lie and it’s only a ba hair between the clubs and I fully expect it to be the same today. I’m going 1-0 us, Burrell to get back on the scoresheet again.

30 minutes ago, Watson Nimrod said:

Perhaps I’m seeing it from a different perspective but in the last month or so Darge now almost resembles a footballer and perhaps may even show why he was thought of so highly just a few years ago at U16/U18 levels where future Scottish international was being talked about. Not that it says a great deal but allegedly he was the only signing of the summer we actually scouted and identified that wanted to come here. I’m not saying he is doing well at this level but there are some scant signs of improvement. Similarly Sena also has been better and although will never be a finished article is strong on the tackle and can break up play. He just needs to keep it simple and not get carried away.

It won’t happen but I would drop Mitch today and put Connell in his place, that won’t happen either but I suspect it will happen at some point soon anyway. 

Yeah Montrose are on a good run and have good players but I’m of a mind like us when you strip it back they are highly reliant on 4-5 players and the rest is a lottery. We are very quick to be down but the table doesn’t lie and it’s only a ba hair between the clubs and I fully expect it to be the same today. I’m going 1-0 us, Burrell to get back on the scoresheet again.

Agreed Sena and Darge have been improved in recent weeks, and yes you need a degree of physicality in the middle of the park, but to think we had/still have 3* box to box, ball playing central midfielders in Fyvie, Blair and Scully it just feels a downgrade to playing either/both of them. Given we recruited no natural width the midfield has been largely disjointed or makeshift to me.

I rate Sena higher than Darge largely as he's more physical, better in the air and covers more ground. I struggle to see either of them playing at a higher level than L1.

*4 if you include Gallagher. 

What a cracking result and presumably performance, sad to have missed that today.

I was really underwhelmed by Cove versus Annan a few weeks back but I think everyone expected a much harder game than this seems to have been.

Great credit again to the players & the staff. We seem to have hit really good form at exactly the right time.

1 minute ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 23.05.28.png

Has to go we were embarrassing today. Been abysmal since he came back. I hope he does the right thing and resigns but we all know he won't.

Great result for Montrose, full points from back to back 6 pointers is just amazing. 

As good as Montrose were, Cove were rotten. Could and maybe should have been 5 up at the break. 

Couldn’t fault anyone in the Montrose squad, good to see another couple of youngsters coming off the bench 

How poor are the crowds at cove? Ok, we’re not much better but Montrose must have had more fans there than Cove?

On to next week and a very winnable match v Annan 

Edited by broomiesniper

9 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Walk in the park today....Should have been 5 or 6 excellent all over the park!

Mo were outstanding, fantastic movement, quality on the ball, hunger and deserved more goals as you say. Watson I thought bullied our central midfield first half and Kerr, Reynolds, Stewart didn't know what to do with Hester and Lyons.

We were slow, clueless and like all season panicked and went long too often. Our last 15 or so games we've conceded 2 or more in about 90% of them which for a full time team hoping for playoffs only ends in one way.

Petrie flexing his muscles. Far superior all round manager.

It feels a long way back for us now.