🔴🟡Thistle vs Raith Rovers🔵⚪️ - Tuesday 12th March

Honestly, while it might sound like heresy to say this, as long as I could be assured that we’ll still make the playoffs, I’d be ok with losing this game.  After all I don’t think we can make automatic promotion at this point, and it plainly has more meaning for Raith.

Especially as I’d rather Rovers were promoted than United.  I like United well enough (one of my best friends growing up was a United fan) but Raith have been away from the PL for longer.

Edited by Braesoyetts

4 minutes ago, Braesoyetts said:

Honestly, while it might sound like heresy to say this, as long as I could be assured that we’ll still make the playoffs, I’d be ok with losing this game.  After all I don’t think we can make automatic promotion at this point, and it plainly has more meaning for Raith.

Especially as I’d rather Rovers were promoted than United.  I like United well enough (one of my best friends growing up was a United fan) but Raith have been away from the PL for longer.

Cube has THE best WTF look in human history - Meme Guy

That was a pretty brutal game to watch, but there were positives. Firstly, we won. We also defended well (just too deep). Most importantly though - it was a clean sheet... or two league clean sheets in a row. I might be wrong, but is that the first this season?

On a side note, tell me any team who would take that pitch over ours? Voting to ban synthetic surfaces seems absolutely mad when that is a possible alternative. 

Despite our pressure at the end I could not see where our goal was going to come from.Raith always seemed to have a man extra man in the box and got the rub of the green /bounce in their favour .Not complaining ,just need to pick ourselves up and get fired into the Guffies on Saturday .

Surprised to read a few Thistle fans in this thread say they'd like Raith to win the league. Surely if you're being pragmatic, United finishing second (assuming nobody gets promoted through the playoffs) is a bad thing if you've any ambition of kicking on and challenging for the title next season? I would imagine most teams would rather see the back of them, and hope nobody else with that sort of squad and budget gets relegated.

1 minute ago, chris1883 said:

That was a pretty brutal game to watch, but there were positives. Firstly, we won. We also defended well (just too deep). Most importantly though - it was a clean sheet... or two league clean sheets in a row. I might be wrong, but is that the first this season?

On a side note, tell me any team who would take that pitch over ours? Voting to ban synthetic surfaces seems absolutely mad when that is a possible alternative. 

Looked like a rugby pitch.  Maybe that’s what McBeth was thinking too….

Who else is playing on it at the minute?  They don’t play rugby on it any more, do they?

1 minute ago, Zanetti said:

Surprised to read a few Thistle fans in this thread say they'd like Raith to win the league. Surely if you're being pragmatic, United finishing second (assuming nobody gets promoted through the playoffs) is a bad thing if you've any ambition of kicking on and challenging for the title next season? I would imagine most teams would rather see the back of them, and hope nobody else with that sort of squad and budget gets relegated.

I’m an optimist who assumes we’ll go up alongside Raith.

3 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

The other side to that is a Dundee United side that's been top for the majority of the season crash at the final hurdle. They could be done mentally and the expectation gets to them. 

Plus they are not in great shape financially and are banking on going straight back up. 

Edited by pub car king

1 minute ago, Zanetti said:

100% agree with this.

Raith took their 1 half chance and we had half a dozen but couldn’t score. We struggle massively when Lawless and Fitzpatrick are off their game as we have no replacement for them. Raith brought on Vaughan, Rudden, Byrne, Smith and we brought on Diack, Bannigan and Stanway. We are carrying a few injuries but Raith squads has more quality than us.

10 minutes ago, spot on said:

I thought Easton was really poor tonight just kept on giving the ball away

Agreed he appeared to be running on mud done very little. For the 2nd game Matthews was good and the backline stood firm. Hamilton looks a player that tonight lacked any confidence. Should have done better with the chance in the 1st half and was gifted a chance in the 2nd.

1 minute ago, pub car king said:

The other side to that is a Dundee United side that's been top for the majority of the season crash at the final hurdle. They could be done mentally and the expectation gets to them. 

If United stay down, Goodwin will go, they’ll get someone competent and walk the league next season.

From that perspective, I’d far rather they went up. Or got liquidated, either way is fine. 

3 minutes ago, Braesoyetts said:

Looked like a rugby pitch.  Maybe that’s what McBeth was thinking too….

Who else is playing on it at the minute?  They don’t play rugby on it any more, do they?

But that's the type of pitch the SpfL premiership are insisting on having for the top league. 

I’m sorry but that was just absolutely dreadful. Insipid side to side rubbish with a complete lack of quality all over the park. Can’t wait for this season to be over.

4 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

the defining game for us is on the 30th of this month away to DU. if we dont lose that game i would say we are favourites to win the leagu

Theres still two bogey teams that could sink our boat even if we do manage to overhaul Utd ............................. Airdrie n feckin Arbroath 

9 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

If United stay down, Goodwin will go, they’ll get someone competent and walk the league next season. 

Can't see Robbie Neilson going back to be honest.