Strongest 11/McGregor/Ferguson conundrum

Gilmour starts in 100% of our games in Euro 24.

I would be tempted to do what Erik ten Hag has been doing recently by playing McTominay up top as a false 9.

McTominay has played that role for the previous two Manchester United matches (won both) and will probably play there on Saturday in the FA Cup final.

It would give us scope to flood the middle with Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn and Christie.

22 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

I would be tempted to do what Erik ten Hag has been doing recently by playing McTominay up top as a false 9.

McTominay has played that role for the previous two Manchester United matches (won both) and will probably play there on Saturday in the FA Cup final.

It would give us scope to flood the middle with Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn and Christie.

I can see Gilmour starting each match but Clarke ain't putting McT in a false 9 and trying out a new system, it's not his style to do that especially weeks away from the euros. 

2 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Copying anything Man Utd do is a recipe for disaster. McTominay has appeared further forward simply out of desperation.

In Dykes and Adams we have two good options to lead the line, that leaves him doing what he's best at - surging into the box when the ball's up for grabs.

Gilmour on form is -imho - the best we've got, when not, he can be a passenger, so how he performs in training and the friendlies will decide a lot.

Scotland are underdogs. Steve Clarke has to think outside the box and do something unpredictable to bridge the gap.

McTominay has almost equalled Adams's best EPL scoring season. Dykes hasn't even played in the EPL, nor has Shankland.

I'm not saying McTominay is anything like Harry Kane, but that's the role Kane plays for England. (Kane does it because he has to, as he won't get the ball otherwise)

It's something that Steve Clarke probably will consider. Particularly if it means we can start Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn and Christie in the same team.

So, McTominay up top, dropping deep as McGinn, McTominay and Christie make runs. It's not a bad idea. It makes for a fluid three.

People seem to forget that we did actually have to qualify for this tournament and did so comfortably, we weren't just dropped in at the last minute as a wildcard.

17 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

People seem to forget that we did actually have to qualify for this tournament and did so comfortably, we weren't just dropped in at the last minute as a wildcard.

You may have also forgotten that were not playing very well. And haven't won a game for quite a while. The last performance being the worst of the lot.

While I'm not suggesting we go with McTominay up front. Although considering the competition its not a terrible shout.

But we need to try and improve, and doing things differently will hopefully be part of that. The inclusion of Forrest and Doak I think are an indication the manager recognises this. And thankfully he gets we need to win games.

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Going from qualification to tournament football is like going from the championship to the premier league, there's another step up in class going from the likes of Norway and Georgia to Switzerland and Hungary. 

Also, I didn't feel very comfortable in the two Norway games, Georgia away etc. We got the breaks at the right time which you don't always get and made it appear comfortable in terms of the points we finished on in qualifying. I guess we were due that good fortune after the years of glorious failure! Then you add the friendlies on top of that, it's obvious we still have a lot of room for improvement. Hopefully Clarke can work out where things have went wrong recently and get us the results we need at the Euros. 

1 hour ago, Butters Scotch said:

Then you add the friendlies on top of that, it's obvious we still have a lot of room for improvement. Hopefully Clarke can work out where things have went wrong recently and get us the results we need at the Euros. 

This exactly. I dont understand the constantly pushed narrative that were doing amazingly well and were some kind of super team.

Its not helpful or realistic. The manager and players will understand were looking to win games and progress.

This pat on the back attitude for constantly getting beat can go straight in the bin.

6 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

This exactly. I dont understand the constantly pushed narrative that were doing amazingly well and were some kind of super team.

Its not helpful or realistic. The manager and players will understand were looking to win games and progress.

This pat on the back attitude for constantly getting beat can go straight in the bin.

With the players we have at our disposal and the level majority of them are at, I would find it hard to believe that the players are happy to settle where we are at the moment. Clarke will be the exact same in my opinion and he did mention the recent games were in the back of his mind so must of had some effect on him. 

I think they all have the belief they can do something with this team so i'm sure the squad would of been quite unforgiving on themselves after the poor run of form

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, SlayerX said:

So, McTominay up top, dropping deep as McGinn, McTominay and Christie make runs. It's not a bad idea. It makes for a fluid three.

So McGinn, Christie and the seemingly everywhere McTominay are running onto what exactly if the only forward option isn't showing for the ball?

I don't disagree that he can play in a forward area (just praise be we moved beyond the horrendous CB era) but he'd be absolutely useless without someone to play off up there.

Edited by ArabFC

McTominay playing just behind Dykes or Adams, coming on to knock downs and loose clearances, whilst being able to drop in and do a pressing role in midfield when required would seem the role best suited to his unique abilities.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

So McGinn, Christie and the seemingly everywhere McTominay are running onto what exactly if the only forward option isn't showing for the ball?

I don't disagree that he can play in a forward area (just praise be we moved beyond the horrendous CB era) but he'd be absolutely useless without someone to play off up there.

He didnt look a striker at all to me in his game for Man United against Newcastle recently, he hasn't got that 'forward instinct' of knowing where to position himself alot of the time to get the goals, hold playup, time runs etc. Very much looked like an alien position which is no surprise as he hasn't had any experience in that position. 

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

All three alternating between playing as the striker(s) as a fluid three. I kinda like. I think all three are intelligence enough to dove-tail.

The fluid idea is to confuse the Defenders as they wouldn't know who to pick up.

Dykes or Adams standing up top like a traffic cone won't achieve anything.

In the world of theoreticals, there is no right or wrong. There are ideas.

As I said, Steve Clarke has to think outside the box. That's why we have a set-piece coach, so that we can shake things up and be creative and try to catch the opposition on the hop.

10 hours ago, SlayerX said:

All three alternating between playing as the striker(s) as a fluid three. I kinda like. I think all three are intelligence enough to dove-tail.

The fluid idea is to confuse the Defenders as they wouldn't know who to pick up.

Dykes or Adams standing up top like a traffic cone won't achieve anything.

In the world of theoreticals, there is no right or wrong. There are ideas.

As I said, Steve Clarke has to think outside the box. That's why we have a set-piece coach, so that we can shake things up and be creative and try to catch the opposition on the hop.

We don't have the players to play a 'fluid three', they're all workhorses rather than your technical players. Fluid formations works best if you are maintaining a lot of the possession and have boys to thread through pinpoint passes to the runners and we are not Pep's Barcelona.

We're more likely going to be defending majority of each game and will be setting up to be as hard to beat as we can, keeping players in there area of the park to stop gaps opening up. 

Dykes/Adams standing up top like a traffic cone? Nonsense, do you even watch the games? They're both very hard workers that get around the pitch that can take the ball in and relieve the pressure off the defence 

1 minute ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Craig Gordons a big lad, scored before as well.

Clarke missed a trick here, he shoulda brought that Arbroath keeper in that scored that rocket as fourth choice 

I recall being mocked here, from pillar to post, when I suggested that Scotland play with three at the back. It was when Levein was in charge.

The argument were "our players don't play with three at club level", "four at the back is the best system", etc.

Even though Scotland hadn't qualified for a tournament for 22 years with a back four.

Typical herd mentality stuff. All torches and pitchforks and no braincells.

Five managers come and go, all trying the same thing and expecting different result.

Steve Clarke comes in. When he realises that Scotland can't play with a back four, he changes to a three and sticks to it.

Cut to four years later and Scotland have played in two European championship and got within a whisker of a World Cup.

I don't see those detractors around here anymore. Or if they are, they are rather quiet.

They sure as hell aren't coaching professionally.

You'll excuse me if I take no notice of derision.

I feel completely vindicated.

2 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

I recall being mocked here, from pillar to post, when I suggested that Scotland play with three at the back. It was when Levein was in charge.

The argument were "our players don't play with three at club level", "four at the back is the best system", etc.

Even though Scotland hadn't qualified for a tournament for 22 years with a back four.

Typical herd mentality stuff. All torches and pitchforks and no braincells.

Five managers come and go, all trying the same thing and expecting different result.

Steve Clarke comes in. When he realises that Scotland can't play with a back four, he changes to a three and sticks to it.

Cut to four years later and Scotland have played in two European championship and got within a whisker of a World Cup.

I don't see those detractors around here anymore. Or if they are, they are rather quiet.

They sure as hell aren't coaching professionally.

You'll excuse me if I take no notice of derision.

I feel completely vindicated.

Alex McLeish played a back-3 when he returned for his 2nd spell in charge of Scotland.

1 minute ago, 2426255 said:

Alex McLeish played a back-3 when he returned for his 2nd spell in charge of Scotland.

Briefly.

Maybe about 2 games.

Strachan and McLeish both flirted with a 3, only to ditch it when results weren't coming.