Semi Final: Aberdeen vs Celtic

4 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Nope. It doesn’t work like that. VAR is only checking for a penalty. 
Ridiculous as that is. 

Interesting that for Aberdeens next penalty shout, they were miraculously able to not just check the penalty incident and awarded a foul and free kick instead.

2 hours ago, STFU_Donny said:

Your first point is correct but the ref doesn’t blow the whistle until the potential penalty - that’s why there’s so much confusion.

Just catching up with this now.

f**k me, that is one of the biggest stonewall penalties I have ever seen. And it’s never, ever a foul in the build up. I don’t think the ref even knows what he’s given the free kick for. He just panics because he doesn’t want to give the penalty. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Interesting that for Aberdeens next penalty shout, they were miraculously able to not just check the penalty incident and awarded a foul and free kick instead.

Ffs you’re really clutching here. The ref gave the free kick in the first place. That’s why it wasn’t a penalty. 
Please try harder when trying not to be an idiot. 

First and foremost, what a fantastic game of football. Three brilliant goals from us and as I'm just home, I've no idea about any of the penalty shouts. I thought it was going to be our day when Hart hit the post, but that's how penalty shoot outs can go. Superb performance by Aberdeen. 

The free kick was awarded by the referee.

But even if a free kick hadn’t been given by the referee, it could still have been given as a result of a VAR review of the subsequently “penalty” foul. 

That’s how VAR has always worked. 

Unlucky Aberdeen. Genuinely thought you'd get beaten comfortably today but that was some real fight and grit shown. Thought you were going to nick it when Hart missed his penalty.

Genuinely just seen him signal for the free kick to Celtic and if anything it's even worse he does that. Why does he wait until an Aberdeen player is fouled to stop play?

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Watch this and explain to me when the referee gives a foul to Celtic and not a penalty.

Here, when his arm is pointing to the centre circle:

IMG_5420.thumb.jpeg.c8ab89d50cd89077c714e3edb96fa5c4.jpeg

Just now, The Master said:

Here, when his arm is pointing to the centre circle:

IMG_5420.thumb.jpeg.c8ab89d50cd89077c714e3edb96fa5c4.jpeg

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Genuinely just seen him signal for the free kick to Celtic and if anything it's even worse he does that. Why does he wait until an Aberdeen player is fouled to stop play?

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

First and foremost, what a fantastic game of football. Three brilliant goals from us and as I'm just home, I've no idea about any of the penalty shouts. I thought it was going to be our day when Hart hit the post, but that's how penalty shoot outs can go. Superb performance by Aberdeen. 

Even on a day when I “had” to want Aberdeen to lose, I still managed to be annoyed that they didn’t win. Such was the effort and the opportunity to really get it up the arse cheeks. Especially as I think there’s every chance of Hearts beating Rangers tomorrow. 

He’s a shite bag.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

For the same reason that assistants flag late.

Play is allowed to develop so that if the ball ends up in the net or an attacker is fouled in the box, the goal/penalty can subsequently be awarded if a VAR review determines that the original free kick should not have been given. 

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

In fairness, I think he gives it when he first blows the whistle - it looked like he's pointing at the spot rather than the six-yard box, but he is giving the free-kick. 

Correct. The vicinity of the foul has lead to people saying he is pointing for a penalty. He isn't. Then he points upfield indicating a foul against the Dons. 

Watch this and explain to me when the referee gives a foul to Celtic and not a penalty.

Why did he not stop for the “foul” before the CCV made his challenge?

He took ages to make his mind up.

If that is the other way around he’s awarding a penalty to Celtic and VAR will uphold the on-field decision.

Guaranteed. FTOF and Fcuk the SFA.

1 minute ago, Molotov said:

If that is the other way around he’s awarding a penalty to Celtic and VAR will uphold the on-field decision.

Guaranteed. FTOF and Fcuk the SFA.

That’s the the point though. VAR did not give the foul as RG suggested. 

1 minute ago, Molotov said:

1 hour ago, The Master said:

For the same reason that assistants flag late.

Play is allowed to develop so that if the ball ends up in the net or an attacker is fouled in the box, the goal/penalty can subsequently be awarded if a VAR review determines that the original free kick should not have been given. 

1 minute ago, The Master said:

I've never once seen a referee allow "play to develop" like that if they see a foul in the box on the defending side.

Not once since VAR came in.

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Even on a day when I “had” to want Aberdeen to lose, I still managed to be annoyed that they didn’t win. Such was the effort and the opportunity to really get it up the arse cheeks. Especially as I think there’s every chance of Hearts beating Rangers tomorrow. 

Your annoyance will pass, it really will, when the post-split games start, and rather than be embroiled in a trouser-troubling relegation scrap, we are in position to have European football - even if it involves a trip to the Welsh valleys, Norn Iron, or Azerbaijan.

It wasn’t about cheering for an ugly, actively wanting a bigot to prevail - it was about Aberdeen not winnng the Scottish Cup. It so happened their opponent was an arse cheek, it would have been the same had they been playing Hearts, or anyone. If Aberdeen had got to the final, they were genuinely in with a shout. Fortunately, they’re out, which has fcuk-all to do with cheering for ra’ Sellik per se.