Forfar Athletic -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 16 March 2024)

41 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Oh and a quick word for the referee. In a game of absolutely nothing happening he still managed to be an inept clown for both teams. 

It's mind boggling how little these chumps understand the game. Bookings for nothing and then bookable tackles nothing happens.

Same nonsense every week.

Yet another dumpling with a whistle trying to make the game about him. Agree on all above points. Special mention for linesmen as well, we're supposed to call them assistant referees, yet most of them are petrified to say/do anything. 

20 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Highlight of the afternoon was Marc McCallum's assessment of Russell McLean. His opinion is consistent with pretty much everyone else. Useless.

Overly generous imo.

Posted (edited)

There's not a lot to assess here. It was a fairly mediocre game of football but a game of football we shouldn't have lost all the same. Nicky Jamieson had a great opportunity to win the game late on but inexplicably put a free header over the bar, while Forfar Athletic had one chance and scored from it (I'd need to see it again but it looked like a poor goal all round from a Stenhousemuir perspective). I couldn't see the hosts getting anything from the game, so fair play.

I thought Nicky Jamieson had a good game, despite passing up a good chance in front of goal, and Ross Meechan was solid at right-back. James Berry maybe had his best game for the club and was in the right place at the right time to open the scoring. Nat Wedderbun and Mikey Anderson got through a power of running in midfield. Matty Yates huffed and puffed and Matty Aitken showed some nice touches but Adam Hutchinson marshalled him well. Daniel Scally and Stuart Morrison stood out for Forfar, but Russell McLean did not and struggled against Jamieson and Gregor Buchanan - these were the worst kind of opponents for a striker who's not really into the tough stuff and he couldn't get into the game at all.

To back up Neilly's point about the referee, I thought his first-half performance was mince. I can accept unpredictability from the players but not from an offical. Nat Wedderbun was booked for a slide tackle but was then kicked by an opponent who escaped a caution. Berry and Meechan were both yellow carded for dissent but Andy Munro, yelling at the referee, gets a talking to. The standard of refereeing this season in League 2 has been noticeably poor and it's spoiling it.

It's funny following the team at the moment - it seems like a matter of time before we win the league and that seems to have taken the tension and jeopardy out of games. I would have been annoyed by dropping points to a late, preventable goal, but I left Station Park with a sense of indifference. It doesn't matter, we'll make up for it next week. It sounds like I'm complaining - believe me, I'm not, this is brilliant! - but I'd like to see a wee bit more intensity between now and the end of the season.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas
A bad memory / being called out in the group chat

Ray Laughably trying to blame wind for how we played again.... Yet he's the one having players punt it in the air the majority of the time. I never even noticed the wind affect the ball once yesterday.

Our quality players are feeding off f**k all is the problem, hopeful diagonals and punts in the air to wingers who are desperate to get a foot on the ball and run at people is the issue ray, Scally and Allan look desperate to try and get the ball and create but almost the only time they get it to feet is with their back to goal from full backs.

Edited by ScottishLoon

I know it wasn’t a great game, but I did think we actually played some nice football at times mainly in the 1st half. But for me, it was noticeable that in the 2nd half in particular that Forfar resorted to a huge, in most cases, aimless pump up the park, mainly from McCallum. In the end it just became a slug fest with both teams seeing how high they could kick it, until Forfar equalised and we started to play football again which almost brought a winner.

2 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

resorted to a huge, in most cases, aimless pump up the park, mainly from McCallum. 

This part of his game is really getting beyond a joke. There was a point yesterday where Roberto Nditi had almost the whole of the right side free. McCallum launched the usual punt. Nditi was raging - the WTF look on his face when he turned to the dugout was priceless.