Forfar Athletic -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 16 March 2024)

A reasonably diverting game of football is taking place this weekend at Station Park as Forfar "the Athies" Athletic take on Stenhousemuir. There doesn't really appear to be all that much at stake here - Forfar should just about be safe after beating Clyde last weekend while Stenny are counting down the days until they lift the title - but it should be a decent contest all the same. The last three meetings between the sides have been entertaining and I'm expecting something similar here.

Stenny have been okay-ish in recent weeks. We've been solid at the back and we've got plenty of energy and dynamism but I'd argue we've looked a bit pedestrian in attack and only really look like scoring from set-pieces. I think it might be worthwhile changing things up for this game and bringing Ross Taylor into the starting XI. I'd field Taylor wide on the right, move Matty Yates in behind the striker, and drop James Berry to the bench. I'm pleased Berry's getting a run in the team, and he's been fine in our last two matches, but I think it's time we try something different courtesy of Taylor's pace and trickery. Taylor's had a funny season, with some brilliant moments (his cameo in the home win over Dumbarton) and some stupid gaffes (the red card at Clyde), and I hope he can show us his value over this final run of fixtures.

We have options on the bench if things aren't going in our favour. The team, otherwise, picks itself:

- Matty Aitken -

- Euan O'Reilly - Matty Yates - Ross Taylor -

- Nat Wedderburn - Mikey Anderson -

- Kinlay Bilham - Nicky Jamieson - Gregor Buchanan - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

I'd like to see a bit more from Matty Aitken, as I've found him frustrating in recent weeks, but I'm sure he won't need any motivation here. One of his best performances of the season came at our last visit to Angus.

I'd like to think Stenhousemuir can remind us all why they're top of the league by turning in a scintillating display and bringing home the three points. The Spartans game was a bit flat and I want us to go out there and score at least four times. Come on Stenny!

Maybe one for, after we've won the league.

I'd like to see what Taylor is like up front. Put Yates at 10 with Brown and O'Reilly rotating out wide.

Similar to my unpopular Rodden experiment idea 🤣. Taylor would stretch their back line with his pace and keep them further back, giving Wedderburn and Anderson a bit more space to work possession in the middle. Taylor's pace would be a bonus at pressing their centre backs. 

Broony has had an up and down season as well, but has always got his head up and looking to feed the ball in. I think, Taylor would have better movement to get onto some of those intricate passes Brown likes to play. 

But go with tried and tested, bring the 3 points home hopefully. 

Taylor up front in a 2 in itself has some merit but not v Forfar and not when 4-2-3-1 has taken us 15 points clear at the top.

Forfar have slowish centre backs who play deep anyway. Taylor would be best suited out wide where he can pick up the ball in space and drive at them, winning free kicks/yellow cards at worst if he doesn't manage to get past the defender.

2 hours ago, speedframe said:

Get used to it....

Still bitter little lemons. 

The only thing I am used to is The King firing us to our first league title in 140 years. 

Here's to another Station Park slaying on Saturday from The Champions.

1_SHOWBIZ-Typecasting-3.thumb.jpg.58988fb8a30a4f2c101704f25f96b8eb.jpg

41 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Still bitter little lemons. 

The only thing I am used to is The King firing us to our first league title in 140 years. 

Here's to another Station Park slaying on Saturday from The Champions.

1_SHOWBIZ-Typecasting-3.thumb.jpg.58988fb8a30a4f2c101704f25f96b8eb.jpg

Ach, I'm not displeased for the lad, even though I have given him pelters.

Glad Stenny look like finally getting a league title too.

Amazing what having a competent manager does.

1 hour ago, Burnsythebinman said:

last time up there the forfar centre backs couldnt handle the pace of oreilly or taylor so theres a case to be made for the forward 4 FF has suggested. the 3 points are returning to ochilview.

O'Reilly was tremendous in that game but I think it was more the left back he roasted that day. Can see same happening if he is even half as good.

Given our form think we will win 0-0.

3 hours ago, Wee man the jackass said:

Fancy Stennie to continue limping their way over the line with another emphatic draw here!!

I guess speed isn't everything. Limping to the title I would imagine is prefable to hurtling towards the Lowland League. 

Edited by John MacLean
Typo

Andy Munro to get his first goal of the season with a header and goes loony in front of Stenny supporters. Only for Matty Aitken to bag a second half hat-trick, with a trio of assists from Meechan.

Will the above happen, no but it would be entertaining.

4 hours ago, Bridie Vision said:

Andy Munro to get his first goal of the season with a header and goes loony in front of Stenny supporters. Only for Matty Aitken to bag a second half hat-trick, with a trio of assists from Meechan.

Will the above happen, no but it would be entertaining.

Entertainment is frowned upon in the house McKinnon built.

22 hours ago, RateofKnots said:

Ach, I'm not displeased for the lad, even though I have given him pelters.

Glad Stenny look like finally getting a league title too.

Amazing what having a competent manager does.

Sums up my feelings too, happy for Aitken, Meechan and all the Stenny fans. We diddy teams don't get much to celebrate so hope they enjoy it, to have never won a league title is something.

I've always used Stenny as a barometer for us in as much as I'm disappointed if we finish below them. I do mean that as a compliment to them as I see us both as clubs that believe they belong in League One, are of a similar size and I'm sure they'd see us similarly. Would much rather see a Stenny type win this league than a fanless cash cow.

I’m going to agree with FF on his starting 11 and hope it’s another 3 points closer to the title.

It won’t be easy with Forfar on a fantastic run but I hope we have enough in the tank.  Our recent few games have been a little pedestrian for me so would be good to inject some pace and creativity back into the team. 

Come on the Warriors … 8 to go! 🎉 

Edited by Broxi Bears