Dundee v Whoever They're Playing This Weekend (Or maybe that should the the other way round)

2 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

But that is exactly what has been said by the club...

Following this morning’s scheduled pitch inspection the match referee has decided that the pitch at The Scot Foam Stadium is currently playable. However, with rain forecast for later today both clubs and the league have agreed for a further pitch inspection to take place at 3.30pm today. 

I meant when they initially announced the first inspection (last night I believe). There was no indication that the outcome of this inspection at 11am would likely lead to another one if the pitch was deemed playable.

Edited by AJF

Just now, LIVIFOREVER said:

Is it wrong that i'm hoping the rain absolutely pishes down in Dundee for the heads gone entertainment?

No, I think the vast majority of Dundee fans are actually hoping for it.

14 minutes ago, AJF said:

If that were the case, then it probably would've been wise for them to stipulate that if the pitch was deemed playable at 11am then there would be a further inspection carried out later in the day due to the forecasted weather.

It just feels like kicking the can down the road, and while I totally appreciate the weather is not the fault of Dundee, I think the frustrations are simply born out of fans likely expecting a decision to have been made at 11 which hasn't happened.

If it makes you feel better just pretend an 11am pitch inspection wasn’t carried out but I take your point it doesn’t add a great deal of certainty to the game proceeding today.

Personally, I think a 11am inspection was a worthwhile effort given that if the pitch failed the 11am pitch inspection the referee may well have formed the opinion that with the anticipated rain the pitch would not improve or likely get worse.  That way an informed opinion could be made if it would be simply better to call off the game for today. 

I don’t think the club could have announced earlier that there definitely would be a 3pm pitch inspection.  What if the 11am inspection had revealed a pitch that appeared ready to handle the anticipated level of precipitation.  Again personally, I had already anticipated a further pitch inspection, not least due to how events unfolded on Saturday. 

This may not be a universally popular opinion but for it’s worth I genuinely do feel sympathy for the away fans this evening, or indeed any away fans in such circumstances.

ETA Just seen your later post about announcing a possible 3pm inspection.  You make a fair point raising the possibility of one.  Perhaps the club, wrongly, assumed everyone would take it for granted.

Edited by Shadow Play

Just now, Shadow Play said:

If it makes you feel better just pretend an 11am pitch inspection wasn’t carried out but I take your point it doesn’t add a great deal of certainty to the game proceeding today.

Personally, I think a 11am inspection was a worthwhile effort given that if the pitch failed the 11am pitch inspection the referee may well have formed the opinion that with the anticipated rain the pitch would not improve or likely get worse.  That way an informed opinion could be made if it would be simply better to call off the game for today. 

I don’t think the club could have announced earlier that there definitely would be a 3pm pitch inspection.  What if the 11am inspection had revealed a pitch that appeared ready to handle the anticipated level of precipitation.  Again personally, I had already anticipated a further pitch inspection, not least due to how events unfolded on Saturday. 

This may not be a universally popular opinion but for it’s worth I genuinely do feel sympathy for the away fans this evening, or indeed any away fans in such circumstances.

Well that’s it. Moving it along to 3:30 isn’t really an issue, I just feel the frustration is there as it comes across as kicking the can down the road (which I appreciate isn’t exactly the case).

Folk just want to know if there will be a game on 😂

Just now, ropy said:

Can they not just keep the covers on during the match?

Get some fairy liquid added to it and each team have a go at launching a player from the halfway line towards the opponents goal slip and slide style. Whoever has the most players in their opponents net at the end wins.

19 minutes ago, AJF said:

Because we've been told that the reason for the second inspection is due to the expected rain. We knew already what the weather forecast was, so was there ever any need to carry out the earlier pitch inspection if it was anticipated that additional expected rain fall might be an issue?

This isn't me suggesting it's a Dundee issue, I just don't really get the logic in removing and replacing covers (which we've been told takes considerable time) for the SPFL to conduct a pitch inspection that is contingent on forecasted rain that was already known about.

If the pitch inspection at 11 showed the pitch unplayable then there was no chance of it being playable tonight given the rain that is forecast for the afternoon. Would have given everyone (maybe no the Belfast Loyal) plenty time to cancel their travel arrangements. An early inspection requested by your club btw. There are 3 areas of the pitch causing concern, I'd be surprised if the covers haven't been put back on there. You'd think the whole pitch was a swamp the way some people are carrying on.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

Well that’s it. Moving it along to 3:30 isn’t really an issue, I just feel the frustration is there as it comes across as kicking the can down the road (which I appreciate isn’t exactly the case).

Folk just want to know if there will be a game on 😂

For what its worth I think it will be on. They've got those areas covered back up from now until the next pitch inspection and will likely put the covers back on until the teams warm up.

To confirm, the pitch played fine on Saturday, a couple of dead bounces but that is all, O’Donnell was kept on the bench until he could run down the firm side of the pitch in the second half.  No excuses.

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

In fairness I commend him for giving us all such a laugh with that little episode 🤣

Thanks, it was a rather refreshing episode and the chat on the boards had been getting awfully dry. Honest fun, no harm done, chocolate biscuits for all. Excellent work. 👍

Edited by 2426255