Next Step(s)  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 minutes ago, velo army said:

The media and pundit class need to take responsibility for this. If VAR is to be scrapped I want pundits to remind the viewer that football rules are often subjectively applied and that this is part of experiencing the sport we love. A bit of humour when looking at refereeing decisions in the studio wouldn't go amiss, instead of the "did he get it right or wrong?" debate and accompanying hysteria. This only fans the flames of fans' ire. 

Obviously it's in the interests of broadcasters to foment such outrage, but I'm not without hope that the standard of debate and commentary can be raised above the screeching inanity of Micah Richards, the huffy meanderings of Michael Stewart or any of the other interchangeable tattie heided oafs we're subjected to.

You can add players and managers who constantly trot out 'the ref needs to get the big calls right' every time they've lost a game cause they feel they didn't. 

Refs are human,  they make mistakes,  we all need to accept it.  Fans will debate those decisions endlessly regardless, it's part of the fun 

3 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Refs are human,  they make mistakes,  we all need to accept it.  Fans will debate those decisions endlessly regardless, it's part of the fun 

Right, but we've all seen how they make mistakes that benefit certain teams and not others.

I don't think we should "accept it".

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

Right, but we've all seen how they make mistakes that benefit certain teams and not others.

I don't think we should "accept it".

Rangers and Celtic have had 32 penalties between them and conceded 6 this season, so I'm not sure VAR is doing much to alleviate concerns of neutrality among referees

3 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Rangers and Celtic have had 32 penalties between them and conceded 6 this season, so I'm not sure VAR is doing much to alleviate concerns of neutrality among referees

I think the difference is that officials no longer have the excuse that it was a split second decision with no ability to review it. The Lundstam tackle being a prime example of the wrong decision given and I would suggest it was only a yellow in the first place because it was one of the OF. It's all conjecture of course.

Football's world governing body Fifa is trialling a new video assistant referee (VAR) system with two tennis-style reviews per match.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/ckr5gy50lxmo

Managers can challenge a decision by "twirling their finger in the air and giving the fourth official a card", said Fifa referees’ chief Pierluigi Collina.

image.gif.d0284424e7e5c007851edc50ee1d3944.gif

Here's the FIFA explainer for the new "Video Support" system they're trialing. Primarily based on reviews being requested by team officials, but the Fourth Official will check the footage for goal-related incidents. 

https://inside.fifa.com/technical/football-technology/news/what-is-football-video-support

They emphasise, though, that it's not seen as a replacement for VAR but rather an alternative for use in leagues/competitions where the costs associated with VAR are seen as prohibitive.

19 hours ago, The Master said:

Here's the FIFA explainer for the new "Video Support" system they're trialing. Primarily based on reviews being requested by team officials, but the Fourth Official will check the footage for goal-related incidents. 

https://inside.fifa.com/technical/football-technology/news/what-is-football-video-support

They emphasise, though, that it's not seen as a replacement for VAR but rather an alternative for use in leagues/competitions where the costs associated with VAR are seen as prohibitive.

Can't afford VAR? Don't worry, here at FIFA, we have price plans to suit everyone's wallet, so there's no reason that you too, can't f**k up a perfectly good product for no reason. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Can't afford VAR? Don't worry, here at FIFA, we have price plans to suit everyone's wallet, so there's no reason that you too, can't f**k up a perfectly good product for no reason. 

I was going to say is one of the prohibitive costs of VAR that it’s fucking shite and doesn’t work.

But I decided to be above that. 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The EPL has voted to retain VAR. 

No chance of us binning it now. 

Edit: the vote was 19-1. Only Wolves voted in favour of their own motion to scrap it. 

Edited by The Master

Yes absolutely bonkers. Only one club wants rid of this circus?!!

There must have been some behind the scenes shenanigans going on to get them all onside.

I don’t think clubs should be voting anyway, it’s supporters who have to suffer this and should have the say. On most big decisions in football, I don’t think owners, managers, coaches and players have the best interests of the game at heart generally, they care more about self preservation or lining their own pocket from the sport.

16 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes absolutely bonkers. Only one club wants rid of this circus?!!

There must have been some behind the scenes shenanigans going on to get them all onside.

I don’t think clubs should be voting anyway, it’s supporters who have to suffer this and should have the say. On most big decisions in football, I don’t think owners, managers, coaches and players have the best interests of the game at heart generally, they care more about self preservation or lining their own pocket from the sport.

I guess this is why fan ownership is so important where possible. That's the only way to really have any influence.

2 hours ago, The Master said:

The EPL has voted to retain VAR. 

No chance of us binning it now. 

Edit: the vote was 19-1. Only Wolves voted in favour of their own motion to scrap it. 

Not even Nottingham Forest? Anyone care to speculate why that was after all the fuss they made about it towards the end of the season?

19-1 is disappointing. I never expected them to vote it out but even 6-7 PL clubs coming out against it would’ve been a real statement and pressure put on to at least make attempts to make it better or work. 

The worry here is such a resounding defeat kills it dead. 

12 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

19-1 is disappointing. I never expected them to vote it out but even 6-7 PL clubs coming out against it would’ve been a real statement and pressure put on to at least make attempts to make it better or work. 

The worry here is such a resounding defeat kills it dead. 

Yep. I read the outcome with a lot of disappointment. Given the status the EPL holds (rightly or wrongly), many other nations would've been looking at this with interest and for the motion to fail so heavily just sets back any effort to remove it.

I'm not surprised by the vote. The technology does what was designed to do. I think they need to invest more in training and establish how they want the video evidence to be interpreted. It would also help if the offside rule was changed a bit, so that tiny margin situations are not offside.

15 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm not surprised by the vote. The technology does what was designed to do. I think they need to invest more in training and establish how they want the video evidence to be interpreted. It would also help if the offside rule was changed a bit, so that tiny margin situations are not offside.

Regardless of how offside is defined, you will always have “tiny marginal situations”.