Driving to Hampden

Does anyone more seasoned in the above have any tips for those coming from South of Hampden?

I used to go to Scotland games with my pals, and the pub beforehand. Now I go with my son and am therefore driving.

I come up from Killie, so parking on the Toryglen side is a no-no. I managed to get parked near Crossmyloof last night, but it was a 30 minute walk to the stadium. Fine for me, bit tough for the wee fella, and not sure how easy that will be next time with a bigger crowd. I think it might be my best option though.

I suppose there is a balance, since if you park close to the ground, you'll be stuck in more traffic on the way out (and in).

We come from the South and always park in the Mennock Road area or slightly further out. Back in the days of 20,000 crowds we could park there no bother about an hour before kick off and it's about half a mile to the ground. Certainly harder to get parked there now and even arriving about 6:10pm last night we had to park further away. Not much further but it fills up pretty quickly and getting away can be a pain if you're not back sharp.

from Killie i always go M77 then take the turnoff towards east kilbride then left at the roundabout at peel park takes you through castlemilk. then turn right onto one of the roads off Aikenhead road. It's about a 5-10 minute walk to Hampden and normally get away quick enough even if you don't leave early

Park at Patterton and get the train from there to Mount Florida. Might be quicker after the game walking to Cathcart station rather than dealing with the crowds at Mount Florida.

1 hour ago, Alan Twelve said:

Park at Patterton and get the train from there to Mount Florida. Might be quicker after the game walking to Cathcart station rather than dealing with the crowds at Mount Florida.

I'd always rather walk a bit further if it means I can have a more peaceful journey. Mount Florida is on the avoid at all cost list for me after a game. Patterton is an excellent suggestion for those heading South, so I'd second that recommendation.

7 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

This looks like the answer I was after.

I shall try for the Finland game and submit a review afterwards.

On 27/03/2024 at 11:59, PrestersKTID said:

from Killie i always go M77 then take the turnoff towards east kilbride then left at the roundabout at peel park takes you through castlemilk. then turn right onto one of the roads off Aikenhead road. It's about a 5-10 minute walk to Hampden and normally get away quick enough even if you don't leave early

Second this.

My cousin parks outside my old flat at Kingsacre Road and says it's always plain sailing after the game. Mibbe a bit fiddly getting on to the 77 after that (up through carmunnock maybe?) but pre-match you should have little difficulty.

On 27/03/2024 at 11:59, PrestersKTID said:

We usually park near Calder Road.  Always get away quickly. 

I always have a little titter at everyone who parks as close as they possibly can to the ground, or in Asda's car park and then complains when they and the other 20,000 people trying to leave from the same place at the same time are somehow gridlocked.   It’s a big city, there’s no end of free street parking, just park slightly further away and try to avoid having to drive up Aikenhead Road or thru Rutherglen Main Street.