No issue with a minutes silence / applause before any game for someone connected with the club, even a fan.

Remembrance has been a pain with the nonsense and getting it back to a minutes silence would be better. The other royal deaths and disasters/tragedies just give us a break. (What Manchester United do to remember Munich, Rangers for Ibrox or Liverpool for Hillsborough before a game outside the ground doesn't effect the game and is enough).

The bit that pushes it too far is this insistence your old man wanted the game interrupted for a round of applause in the 58th minute or whenever. Feel sorry for the ones that got really old, the social media posts to promote these will have to include ' As my Grandad was 100 when he pegged out, could the officials ensure plenty of injury time so he could be remembered with a minutes applause in the 100th minute of the game'.

in fact on reading the posts the club doing an announcement at end of season for all fans is best, maybe another at the start of the season for those that go over the summer, a minutes silence for those that passed, and a minutes applause for those that passed after renewing their season ticket, truly greatly appreciated by the club.

I'm fine with it for anybody associated with either team- home or away- be it players, board members, fans etc. It feels a bit like it's creeping in to a point where anybody in the "football world" gets one now, though? I remember noticing it with Walter Smith a few years ago- obviously a greatly respected figure in the game etc, but it was hardly a noteworthy or tragically young death, so I've never grasped why there has to be some sort of half-arsed performative tribute at every ground in the country rather than just the clubs that individual was actually associated with.

Looking this up to double check I wasn't just completely havering, it does turn out our mamager at the time was Graham Alexander who obviously played under Smith for Scotland, and Scottish football is obviously a fairly small world so it does make sense that there will likely be a lot of people at any given game who'd have some sort of personal connection to the deceased. It doesn't massively bother me and it's nice to be nice etc but I think I'd ideally rather it was scaled back a wee bit.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

On 01/04/2024 at 23:29, Dee Man said:

@RandomGuy. ran away when I asked him what he'd do if Bakayoko had scored the winner on Saturday 5 seconds into his minute's applause. Still waiting. 

When I first read this I took it to mean there had been a minute's applause at the weekend for RG and his graphs or something ffs 

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

7 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

When I first read this I took it to mean there had been a minute's applause at the weekend for RG and his graphs or something ffs 

Tbf this is the last season of them, so a farewell would be nice.

On 01/04/2024 at 16:39, itzdrk said:

I was somewhere that I don't remember and they read out all of the fans they had sadly lost over the last 12 months to an applause until finished reading.  I felt it was a better way to go about it. 

I've been to games down south when that happened, usually last home game of the calendar year.
Was actually quite moving as you saw people all in their own little bubble, but also sharing the loss.

We have been doing the end of season announcement at half time at St Johnstone for the last 10 years plus.

The club asks for a list of names of those supporters who have died in the last year and they along with former players and club staff are included in the a list in the middle of the match day programme, with the request being made around 2 weeks before the last game.

When my mum died in 2015 we put her name down for that but i would not have asked for a minutes applause etc