Airdrieonians vs Morton

I do not think Muirhead would take being dropped, particularly a week after scoring, very well - he won’t be anyway. 

Must win this for any playoff shout unfortunately.

Gone for a one goal win for the Diamond lads. It's bound to be as close as the previous games and I'd be happy even to see another boring draw. We've been a lot more pragmatic in how we've played for several months . Just want to see Dougie and Millen reenacting the Chewing the Fat touchline duo.

Could be windy so hoofball might win it.

Edited by Chapelhall chap
Spelling

On 03/04/2024 at 14:26, Shooter McGavin said:

You guys will be pleased to hear Sincy the hatchet man is unlikely to be playing on Saturday so Oakley will be safe this time. 

This is good news as I would have expected Oakley to stick one on his and get a red card ending any chance we have of making 8th.

2 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

This is good news as I would have expected Oakley to stick one on his and get a red card ending any chance we have of making 8th.

He'll be on the bench so Oakley may still get his moment of glory. 

On a more serious note. What's the parking arrangements.

Last time I visited I parked in the local scheme but palls who know the area say not a good idea.

Also I remember neds ( not actual Airdrie  supporters ) chucking stones at vehicles on the way out. 

Just got my insurance renewal up 65% with 10+ no claims and don't fancy incurring additional costs.

So what's the best parking?

10 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

Last time I visited I parked in the local scheme but palls who know the area say not a good idea.

Also I remember neds ( not actual Airdrie  supporters ) chucking stones at vehicles on the way out. 

Just got my insurance renewal up 65% with 10+ no claims and don't fancy incurring additional costs.

Stadium. 

3 bucks and your car will be safe as houses. 

In the next few days we’ll be playing 2 teams fighting for that 4th spot.  Feel like Rhys will be playing these 2 games like cup finals.  Regardless of the score at Raith, if we beat Morton and Dunfermline we’ll be as good as there for that playoff spot. Since those 2 games are at home I’m expecting us to be playing to win. Saturday will be tough, always give Morton much respect but if we’re clever and the players fielded do their job we can get the win.  Agree with one goal in it, Gabby and Mason with the goals. 2-1  

and talking about dirty b@stards I think there’s a red card in there too but for who?? dunno 

7 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

There's also free parking straight across the road from the main gates, it's the car park used for the grass pitches at Craigneuk park. Get to the car park entry from HOLLY STREET 👍

Those disciplinary tables prove Morton fans' point about the last game. We get a higher number of bookings per foul committed than anyone else in the division because referees are already predisposed to be looking out for big bad physical Morton, as shown by us somehow ending up with twice as many bookings as Queen's Park last week. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and if we ever approached a game the way Airdrie did at Cappielow we'd be down to 8 men by half-time.

Still, that was a one off and I don't expect to see Airdrie play the same way again, considering how it backfired. In every other game between the sides it's been a cagey game where the teams have largely cancelled each other out, hence why it had been two 0-0s and a 1-0, but it was as if they were taken in by wanting to stand up to our - to some extent fictional - reputation for physicality and needed to show they could mix it up themselves.

Obviously that hadn't been an issue in the previous three games, as shown by us failing to score in any of them, and while they charged out fired up to focus on leaving one on players after the ball was away to let us know we were in a game or some shit, we raced into a 2-0 lead by focusing on playing football. When they got back to their usual game and grew into it it was too late. McCabe's surely too good a manager to make that mistake again.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Those disciplinary tables prove Morton fans' point about the last game. We get a higher number of bookings per foul committed than anyone else in the division because referees are already predisposed to be looking out for big bad physical Morton, as shown by us somehow ending up with twice as many bookings as Queen's Park last week. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and if we ever approached a game the way Airdrie did at Cappielow we'd be down to 8 men by half-time.

image.gif.3d8a10e1a8a52f5dc96547420f58ba44.gif

I’d be amazed if McCabe employed the same strategy as last time, considering how badly it went. We were on a 14(?) game unbeaten run at the time so maybe his thinking was primarily about stopping us, but with the current form of both teams he should have more confidence in their ability to outplay us this time.

1 hour ago, Chicken Soup said:

I’d be amazed if McCabe employed the same strategy as last time, considering how badly it went. We were on a 14(?) game unbeaten run at the time so maybe his thinking was primarily about stopping us, but with the current form of both teams he should have more confidence in their ability to outplay us this time.

Our tactics away from home are now very different from at home. In the away games to Morton, Dundee Utd, Dunfermline and Ayr on 'heavy pitches' we've been much more direct. Less so against Arbroath, but that's because we've a better team than them so presumably we're still happy to outplay them. But against similar level teams we've been much more pragmatic away. Overall it's worked, our away form in the first half of the season was horrific but recently it's been much better. I think I've made the point before but for all McCabe speaks like a modern manager and not 'changing his principles' etc, he clearly does when needed, and we're better for it.

At home we're still the same, which results in a mixture of excellent goals for us and comical goals against us from playing out from the back. If Morton press us high it will be a really entertaining game I think, if they sit a bit deeper it could be a boring 0-0.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

21 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Nah, I'm happy to take the crown this year, just disproving Glenmavis Diamond's point. 

O'Connor's been dropped after a few dodgy performances and Strapp seems to be injured again. Waters and Broadfoot have done well in replacing them though, need the 2 of them to step up on Saturday.

But you've not disproven it. You've proven it. Morton are still top. 😂

6 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Please, please mate, this nonsense is exclusive to old firm fans.

Suggestions of dropping Muirhead are absurd. He's always a goal threat and in a day when our goal could come from a set piece it would be ludicrous having him on the bench.

I would also start Bearne, he deserves another start after last weeks performance. In some ways he was like the fresh player we didn't sign in the January transfer window. He didn't look jaded or fatigued like some others have been recently. A young lad who hasn't played a lot of minutes he should have a lot in his tank even at this stage in the season.

12 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Suggestions of dropping Muirhead are absurd. He's always a goal threat and in a day when our goal could come from a set piece it would be ludicrous having him on the bench.

I would also start Bearne, he deserves another start after last weeks performance. In some ways he was like the fresh player we didn't sign in the January transfer window. He didn't look jaded or fatigued like some others have been recently. A young lad who hasn't played a lot of minutes he should have a lot in his tank even at this stage in the season.

Don't think its absurd at all. 

There's no doubting his threat/talent but he's also shown very little of it since his hat-trick at the start of January. 3 goals in his last 13 games, with one being a pen and another being a bad mistake from Cal Ferrie last week for the free kick. It's hardly undroppable form.

No player should be starting every week purely because he's decent at set peices. Need to be doing a lot more and Dougie is first to point that out when McGrattan, Garrity, Bearne etc start and have little impact. They are dropped the following week. Not shy in dropping O'connor either which I think is harsh.

Don't think anyone is saying he's pish here, simply saying we should be able to mix it up a bit when players are off form which he has been for a couple of months now. 

Anyway, he will start tomorrow and hopefully he scores another hat-trick!