WrestleMania Weekend

I'll give Seth this, the fact he's in that Shield gear being the reason for Roman's fatal distraction due to the trauma of the past still lingering is excellently subtle storytelling. Couldn't look at anything else in that moment.

36 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Think Taker’s spot was supposed to be Austin, wonder why that fell through. 

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Major bummer they couldn't get all of the big 4 involved for 40.

Well folks, I was there tonight. Quite honestly fucking incredible. Absolutely incredible. 

Dunno how it sounded on TV but I thought the crowd for the most part were hot, after reading it was a bit flat night 1. 

Have barely been able to collect myself but I can't wait to watch back with commentary. 

Gutted for Drew; a lot of the crowd were behind him and we went daft when he won, but the execution of the switch was tremendous. 

I'm just finishing off night 1 before work. Mostly pretty meh. Hope night 2 is better, It sounds like it was.

That was tremendous.

As much as Austin might have been a better choice, the Undertaker was fucking sensational.

A pretty telling line from Michael Cole in the aftermath as well - a guy who was pretty much seen as Vince's shill for 20 years came out with "I love professional wrestling". Imagine how fast his arse would have been out the door in the previous era!

52 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

That was tremendous.

As much as Austin might have been a better choice, the Undertaker was fucking sensational.

A pretty telling line from Michael Cole in the aftermath as well - a guy who was pretty much seen as Vince's shill for 20 years came out with "I love professional wrestling". Imagine how fast his arse would have been out the door in the previous era!

A lot of Wrestling starts with the folk who are telling you whats going on.

Cole was the scapegoat for the longest time in his delivery and presentation of what you see before you from fans and yet his peers, almost to a person, have nothing but praise for him, even alluding to the fact that lesser human beings would have crumbled a long time ago due to the constant stream of abuse in his ear from his boss (who it should be noted, was not a particularly good commentator in his own right).

He has absolutely flourished in the post-McMahon era and this level of shackles being off him is a huge part of why the WWE are on the upturn. He's a lynchpin of the company and you know he does, indeed, love professional wrestling.

Edited by djchapsticks

7 hours ago, Jeff Venom said:

Well folks, I was there tonight. Quite honestly fucking incredible. Absolutely incredible. 

Dunno how it sounded on TV but I thought the crowd for the most part were hot, after reading it was a bit flat night 1. 

Have barely been able to collect myself but I can't wait to watch back with commentary. 

Gutted for Drew; a lot of the crowd were behind him and we went daft when he won, but the execution of the switch was tremendous. 

image.thumb.png.8d47176fefee2269029bd31249ea3af0.png

8 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

In the same week that Vince's era appears to finally be over for good, it also seems like that arsehole Warrior has been quetly consigned to the bin.

Assuming they had some agreement with Dana Warrior to use the name for a certain time.
Perhaps one or the other party chose not to renew it.

9 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I'll give Seth this, the fact he's in that Shield gear being the reason for Roman's fatal distraction due to the trauma of the past still lingering is excellently subtle storytelling. Couldn't look at anything else in that moment.

It was perfect. Probably the single best part of a gloriously overbooked ending stretch.

Seth said to Cody Rhodes several weeks ago that in the Main event of WM, 'I'll be your Shield vs Roman' and it was brilliantly done. Roman had already took him out as a threat and had the win in the bag with one smack of a chair, but decided at that moment in time, rather than focus on Cody, he'd turn for retribution for Seth fucking him over 10 years prior and in doing so took his eye off the ball. Seth basically taking the bullet for Cody and again, playing in the old 'architect' gimmick of always being a step ahead.

Also loved the McIntyre situation of preaching to Seth for months that he had his eye off the ball and then himself being utterly obsessed with Punk and that costing him everything. A lot of folk not happy with this change but to me, it 100% makes sense with him surely main eventing in Glasgow for the Championship.

10 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Think Taker’s spot was supposed to be Austin, wonder why that fell through. 

100% Taker's obviously big enough to get a similar reaction but Austin would've been outrageous. Maybe they didn't want to take away from Rhodes.

Absolutely class main event.

Make no mistake as well, this weekend was the end. A definitive line in the sand of Vince's era and his quirks and preferences in terms of how he wants things said and done and when. Everyone still argues when eras ended and begun in WWE. This weekend from the HoF onwards was a line drawn under Vince's 'Sports Entertainment' eras for sure. Anyone who has watched WWE for a long time can surely see and feel that change.

It feels like the biggest Professional Wrestling company on the planet is no longer ashamed to call itself or be a Professional Wrestling company. 

Edited by djchapsticks

41 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Make no mistake as well, this weekend was the end. A definitive line in the sand of Vince's era and his quirks and preferences in terms of how he wants things said and done and when. Everyone still argues when eras ended and begun in WWE. This weekend from the HoF onwards was a line drawn under Vince's 'Sports Entertainment' eras for sure. Anyone who has watched WWE for a long time can surely see and feel that change.

It feels like the biggest Professional Wrestling company on the planet is no longer ashamed to call itself or be a Professional Wrestling company. 

There is still more to come with lawsuit and fed investigation. I thought putting Stephanie out there when she’s implicated in so much of it was wild, but maybe a classic McMahon ‘we’re not hiding’ power move. 

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

A lot of Wrestling starts with the folk who are telling you whats going on.

Cole was the scapegoat for the longest time in his delivery and presentation of what you see before you from fans and yet his peers, almost to a person, have nothing but praise for him, even alluding to the fact that lesser human beings would have crumbled a long time ago due to the constant stream of abuse in his ear from his boss (who it should be noted, was not a particularly good commentator in his own right).

He has absolutely flourished in the post-McMahon era and this level of shackles being off him is a huge part of why the WWE are on the upturn. He's a lynchpin of the company and you know he does, indeed, love professional wrestling.

Yeah, I've always liked him tbh, and he has been brilliant over the last little while. You only have to see the embrace from Cody to understand how much "wrestling people" respect and love him.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I also felt this from the moment Heyman mentioned HHH at the HoF. You always get the "respect to the bookers" lines in those kind of speeches, but that just felt different.

Imagine being told 25 years ago that HHH would be the boss, with the full support of Paul Heyman!