Rovers v Airdrie - Tuesday 09/04

5 minutes ago, FitbaSupporter said:

Airdrie deserved the points despite our second half pressing the panic button. They play attractive football and McCabe clearly has Murray outclassed tactically. Just need to regroup, make sure of second and prepare for the play-offs. Not confident though as we are poor defensively and a few minutes of madness like tonight and it’s game over. Fucking Rovers eh. 

I've a lot of time for Rhys McCabe.

He should have a decent career in management ahead of him.

1 minute ago, TONTROOPER said:

I've a lot of time for Rhys McCabe.

He should have a decent career in management ahead of him.

All signs certainly point that way.  We know he'll not be at Airdrie for terribly long if things keep going anything like they are at the moment, so we should enjoy what we've got while we've got it. 

Can't argue with the result whatsoever tonight. Mccabe has again had our number. We move on to the playoffs now. Fantastic season from us regardless of our inability to beat airdrie and all I hope is that we can go in to the playoff games on a little run of form now. 

Well that went well.  I wasn't that upset at the starting line up and thought we were doing ok, nothing spectacular but it was fairly even.  Then we decided that letting Frizzell just waltz through the pitch with nobody putting a challenge in or closing him down was fine, and he promptly scores.  Not great, but only 1-0 down, we can still get back into this, then we just go and do the exact same thing again and we're 2 down.  Doesn't really matter what tactics you're going with if you defend like that.

Second half, full Murrayball and we looked really up for it for the first 5 minutes, then it looked like Airdrie adjusted to it and nullified it for a bit.  We got it going again and had a lot of the ball, but we didn't really have a lot of shots on target.  Balls into the box which the Airdrie defence dealt with, or balls that there was nobody in a blue shirt to actually attack.  We got the goal and if Connolly's shot goes in off the post then maybe we'd have went onto win.  But playing that style you're always liable to get hit on the counter and Airdrie were constantly looking to do just that.  Airdrie had it spot on second half, wasting time where they could, being solid in defence and then trying to hit on the counter at every opportunity.  Well deserved win.

Just now, A Diamond For Me said:

All signs certainly point that way.  We know he'll not be at Airdrie for terribly long if things keep going anything like they are at the moment, so we should enjoy what we've got while we've got it. 

Aye next bigger job that comes up he’ll get-Raith next season it is then.

Na been at every Raith v Airdrie game this season and watched a few other games on TV and yous have played the best football I’ve seen in the league this season. Build from the back but know when to get it forward. Win so many 2nd balls. The messing about at goal kicks can be annoying as an opposition fan at times.

Is he likely to move down south for a job? Hopefully he doesn’t lose his way in his managerial career like other young managers have.

53 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

We’re just so easy to defend against when we have two full backs who don’t get forward.

Add in a slow, ponderous build up, and a weird decision to retreat when Airdrie had possession rather than press, and it made for an absolutely disastrous first half. 

Once we abandoned that and pushed right up it made a world of difference, but ultimately we’ve scored two goals v Airdrie in five games this season, which is atrocious.

Anton Dowds has managed six against them on his own. 

Obviously you still need to score them but almost all of those Dowds goals have came from really poor defending at set-pieces or (generally Watson) overplaying and literally gifting him the ball in front of goal. That’s something we don’t seem to do against Raith for whatever reason, simply being organised, keeping things simple at the back and knowing how to defend against the plethora of attackers has been very effective.

We’ve improved at it recently but the big thing with this Airdrie team is that they often struggle when they concede first, with the reverse if we get the first goal. Obviously Raith did manage to do that in the 1-1 draw but every other time Airdrie have got the first goal and have been pretty comfortable in most of those games too.

1 minute ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

You genuinely don't have a clue, do you? 

Goalkeeping expert or ex keeper I’m sure I’ve been told before

4 minutes ago, SerieA said:

Aye next bigger job that comes up he’ll get-Raith next season it is then.

Na been at every Raith v Airdrie game this season and watched a few other games on TV and yous have played the best football I’ve seen in the league this season. Build from the back but know when to get it forward. Win so many 2nd balls. The messing about at goal kicks can be annoying as an opposition fan at times.

Is he likely to move down south for a job? Hopefully he doesn’t lose his way in his managerial career like other young managers have.

Hard to say, I guess it depends on what jobs are available when his stock is high and he feels ready to move on.  He did play for Sheffield Wednesday for a couple of years, as well as over in Ireland, so he's not a home boy.  He does have a young family though, so that might be a factor. 

8 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Aye exactly that...." cos you dont know what you've 'lost till its gone." ............Joni Mitchell....."Big Yellow Taxi.

1 minute ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Hard to say, I guess it depends on what jobs are available when his stock is high and he feels ready to move on.  He did play for Sheffield Wednesday for a couple of years, as well as over in Ireland, so he's not a home boy.  He does have a young family though, so that might be a factor. 

Braw Sheff Wed it is then.Sure they’re struggling.Get the rumour going.Get him a move before we play yous in the playoffs

What a bizarre league where we take 10 points out of 12 from Raith but totally f**k it up against Ayr! Got to say that the atmosphere and the performance from Raith in a must win game was very subdued tonight and that surprised me. Reminded me of last season's play off second leg game at Falkirk when I suspected the Bairns would try to batter/bully us but they totally shat the bed. Not much consolation but IMO, your steak & haggis pies are the best in the league by a mile and for that reason alone, I hope we do Thistle in the first play off match to get back up to your place one last time!

Will take time to catch up on earlier posts but this late arrival home sees me relaxed at essentially being safe in the Championship, and delighted at the result tonight. 

We pressed really well in the first half, scored two excellent goals and stood mainly firm in that dominant Raith spell in second half. I was of course relieved to be helped by the post and by McGregor's goal. Now to keep it going against the lesser Fife team. 

If Connolly had a right foot it could have made such a difference tonight. 

So frustrating for him to find space and then instead of getting to the byline and fizzing a cross in he has to stop, turn, and get it onto his left, by which point the defender has faced him up and he can’t get a cross in. 

First 10mins I thought we looked good, but when you give away goals like that you give the opposition confidence and we never looked like doing anything for the rest of the half. 
The half time changes did seem to work and on another day we might have got something but full credit to Airdrie, they know exactly how to play against us. 

Easton was kept very quiet and it looked at times like they had an extra man such was the effectiveness of their press when we had the ball. 

Very worried that we’ll have to face Airdrie in the playoffs, seems extremely unlikely that we’ll figure out how to beat them over two legs. 

17 minutes ago, Wardy said:

The sales of our Doner Kebab pies should be enough to get Frizzell, and possibly Mason Hancock for next season. 

Maybe add Logan Chalmers from the league champions to those two, hes looking away from Utd

9 hours ago, ohnononowheredidRossgo said:

Just shows how amazing this season has been that I'm excited and petrified like a wean in my 40s about the game tonight, this is what fitba is about.

Think we win this 5 nil.

That score prediction aged well mate!

Watched the stream till literally 10 seconds before Lewis scored as I was heading out for N/S.

Frizz's 2 goals came from the defence backing off, fear of what big Nico would do or underestimating Frizz, it's hard to say but one person who can't be blamed is the keeper.

2nd half I don't think Rovers resurgence was down to Murray's tactical 3 subs, I think it was down to us pulling our midfield from their high line that caused all the problems 1st half, we did the same in the last game with Ayr and got punished, could've been the same tonight.

Haven't see Lewis' goal yet but the other 3 were belters.

Friday is massive for us as well as Saturday, Utd win and we beat Dunfermline then GD makes the playoffs almost certain.

Hopefully plenty to celebrate in hospitality on Saturday.